• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That dry denim feeling...?

lupin23rd

Reaction score
Well so I finally found a pair of Nudie RRDS in a size I might be able to fit in (one below my normal, I think that is the advice everyone has given to the sizing question).

Found that the waist was fairly spot on, maybe a little snug, but didn't have to fight with the buttons to get them done up.

Was able to walk around and didn't get the impression that they were too "tight", but when I tried to sit down, or even squat, they really didn't want to join me. I think I managed to finally sit down on the chair but it wasn't a pleasant feeling.

Is this typical of a dry denim? I imagine it will become softer and stretch out but there are a couple concerns.

The one concern is it might not be big enough (although moving a size up leads to the waist issue) and not stretch out enough, the other is that it might stretch out too much and look all saggy on ******.

Thinking I might check out a J Lindeberg relaxed dry denim sometime, or maybe see about finding some of the dry Diesel washes. I think such a thing exists...

Thanks guys,
m

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lupin23rd
Well so I finally found a pair of Nudie RRDS in a size I might be able to fit in (one below my normal, I think that is the advice everyone has given to the sizing question).
Maybe the advice given by those who don't own one. I certainly not wrote anything like that.

Originally Posted by lupin23rd
Is this typical of a dry denim? I imagine it will become softer and stretch out but there are a couple concerns.
No. It's typical of a pair of pants bought too small.
Dry denim is stiff, just like wearing cardboard: the drape will look a little weird, sometime very angulous. But it's not uncomfortable.

!luc

minya

Reaction score
When they stretch, which won't take long, they'll fit perfectly.

raley

Reaction score
I don't know if I agree with you Luc. At first the jeans are going to be a bit uncomfortable and stiff - definitely a cardboard feeling. But give it a week or two and they begin to mold to you. It is kind of funny - when you take them off they will still be in the shape of your legs. After several months in my dry jeans, I feel like they are comfortable - surely not the most comfortable, but they aren't bad.

And I think that they should soften up significantly after I wash them 3-4 times, right? Man, if my APCs ever become as soft as my Diesels... they would definitely be the perfect jeans then.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
I don't know if I agree with you Luc. At first the jeans are going to be a bit uncomfortable and stiff - definitely a cardboard feeling. But give it a week or two and they begin to mold to you. It is kind of funny - when you take them off they will still be in the shape of your legs. After several months in my dry jeans, I feel like they are comfortable - surely not the most comfortable, but they aren't bad.
The original poster wrote he couldn't sit down with his pair of RRDS, this is because he sized down, not because of raw denim.
I agree, a pair of beaten down diesel feels a lot softer than any raw denim.

!luc

Reaction score
My RRDS were tight at first, I had trouble with stairs and the tension made my hips swivel when I walked. But after a few days, the jeans stretched so that my movement was not so restricted. After four months, they feel somewhat baggy and I would probably size down next time around. They stretch.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this may seem like heresy, but couldnt you just buy your correct size and cold soak every 2 months and then starch? the cold soak shouldnt take out too much indigo aand the starch will bring back the stiffness.the creases should be ste by the first month or so, so it shouldnt matter.

i could be wrong, but it seems like a better idea than buying jeans too small and hoping they stretch. plus when you wash them they will shrink back to the too small size.

Reaction score
but that's even MORE effort than sizing down, letting them stretch and not worry about having to soak and starch every two months. that's high maintenance for jeans, yeah?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont know.... the pain of stretching can be bad, plus the cold soak will rejuvinate the cotton fibres, supposedly keeping their strength longer... but in the end it doest really ******* matter how you do it.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
My RRDS were tight at first, I had trouble with stairs and the tension made my hips swivel when I walked. But after a few days, the jeans stretched so that my movement was not so restricted. After four months, they feel somewhat baggy and I would probably size down next time around. They stretch.
Well, I just bought mine the correct size and... wonder it DOES NOT stretch! *hint* *hint*

!luc

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is amazing how little consensus there is on this issue after all this time.

At the end of the day, it all depends on how you want the jeans to fit.

For a baggier look (which is theoretically what Rescues and RRDS are designed for, I believe) then you go your actual size. Note that you will still get some stretching in the waist, so be prepared to cinch your belt. As others point out, it also takes longer to get distressing this way.

If you want a tighter look, then size down -- way down. Raw denim will stretch considerably. If you want jeans that are fitted through the seat when you are standing up, then be prepared to cut off blood circulation to your legs and other important appendages in the early stages of raw denim wearing. Be prepared to revisit this feeling for at least a couple hours every time you wash your jeans.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I own two pairs of Regular Ralfs, the Dry Selvage in 29 and Dry Greycast in 31. The 31s were a little loose around the waist when I got them, but the legs were exactly right, and I figured if they weren't that tight, there'd be little reason for them to stretch much more in the waist. So far (about 2.5 months in), that's been correct. I need a belt to keep the waist in line, but I wear a belt anyway. The 29s were tight at first (trouble getting the top couple buttons done), and they were skintight in the legs. They stretched, and now, even after a hot wash, they fit just slightly loose in the thighs, and perfect around the waist. I entirely agree with montecristo. And keep in mind, the reason that jeans stretch is because there's pressure. If you're wearing your jeans so that they're barely hanging off your hips, the waist won't stretch much because there's no *reason* for it to do so. I really think the sizing down thing, at least for me, is more about how fitted you want the legs and seat, and has less to do with the waist. The waist will fix itself, just wear a belt.

lupin23rd

Reaction score
Just for the record I did not buy these jeans
smile.gif

Waiting to find a true size to try on and compare, although it's not really a priority at this point.

m

Max

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Are there any raw jeans designed to stay fitted?
Well, this is sort of why they invented prewashing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads