• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanksgiving Turkey

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Droog
I've brined a turkey and, frankly, didn't think there was much enough to the result to warrant the effort.

Might not have done it properly. I was leery of brining until I used Ruhlman's recipe for brining then smoking pork chops. No going back.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Duck stock, which I recently made a boatload of. Need to make another pot though, will do that on Sunday.

Perfect!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I see that dartagnan sold out of designer turkeys so there must me more yuppie scum like me out there hankerin' for a good bird.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I see that dartagnan sold out of designer turkeys so there must me more yuppie scum like me out there hankerin' for a good bird.

Sadly, most of them will probably cook it horribly.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Sadly, most of them will probably cook it horribly.

can the vegetable butcher help them out?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
can the vegetable butcher help them out?

You probably have somewhere to go, but if you want to come up you are welcome.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What else are you having? You should make your poaching broth into consomme when you are done.

kalmykia

Reaction score
Going to try cooking turkey sous vide ("under vacuum") this year like in these two home videos of Grant Achatz of Alinea in Chicago. It involves cutting up the turkey, sticking into plastic bags with herbs and butter, then placing in a warm bath for a few hours, and finally a quick fry to get the skin crispy. This technique has quickly become the preferred method of cooking a wide range of meats for most of the top restaurants here in NY.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I will indeed be traveling, but I am very greatful for the offer. Thank you.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
What else are you having? You should make your poaching broth into consomme when you are done.

I will puree some root veg, was thinking a yam/parsnip combo. Something green, probably french beans. My mother will make a "stuffing" though we can't stuff this bird given the cooking method. Not sure what else.

Plan is to take some of the broth and reduce to nappe and serve as a sauce in lieu of traditional gravy. Could definitely make consomme with the rest. Would you recommend ground turkey for the raft?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I will puree some root veg, was thinking a yam/parsnip combo. Something green, probably french beans. My mother will make a "stuffing" though we can't stuff this bird given the cooking method. Not sure what else.

Plan is to take some of the broth and reduce to nappe and serve as a sauce in lieu of traditional gravy. Could definitely make consomme with the rest. Would you recommend ground turkey for the raft?

I just use egg whites and vegetables, making sure the stock is quite strong (a poaching broth would be.) I believe it works better than adding extra meat. I will now take my beatings.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
btw, if anyone has better ideas for my sides plz poast

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Gratin dauphinois.

Did that for Christmas and will likely do it again this year because it was so damned popular last year.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did that for Christmas and will likely do it again this year because it was so damned popular last year.
I was in a store yesterday and saw a French product named "Sauce Party." I thought of you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads