• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanksgiving Soups

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What would you guys recommend besides the classic "cream of . . ." soups that are ubiquitous this time of year? I'd like to have some balance in light of the other heavy and rich dishes that are going to be served, even though the soup will be served by itself as the first course.

Aspic, I would assume, would be nice, but I just don't have time to do this; but what would you combine the aspic with if it was to be served? Or, should I disregard the whole soup course paradigm and serve something else instead?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like cream soups, but what about a consommÃ
00a9.png
with a bunch of the great wild mushrooms which are now in season, and perhaps, if you like, a few scallops sliced thin and put in the bowls so they cook lightly in the hot broth.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I like cream soups, but what about a consommÃ
00a9.png
with a bunch of the great wild mushrooms which are now in season, and perhaps, if you like, a few scallops sliced thin and put in the bowls so they cook lightly in the hot broth.

I like the scallop idea a lot if you're coursing out your Tgiving dinner.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I'm kicking around in my head a dashi-based soup as well.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
This thread is now the awesome soup thread.

Goes against Thanksgiving, unless you guys are asiafreaks, but meyer lemon and miso soup is teh shiz.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
This thread is now the awesome soup thread.

Goes against Thanksgiving, unless you guys are asiafreaks, but meyer lemon and miso soup is teh shiz.

I love using miso as a soup/broth base. It's great for risotto. However, a clear soup would be more appropriate for the occasion - except for the fact that one of my side of the family's Thanksgiving traditions is pimento cheese-stuffed celery, which isn't exactly harmonious with what I'm stating I'm trying to accomplish.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. Dashi is one of the few tastes I really don't like at all. It's fine at a Japanese restaurant, but as a stock I find it too sweet and too smokey. Weird, huh?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. Dashi is one of the few tastes I really don't like at all. It's fine at a Japanese restaurant, but as a stock I find it too sweet and too smokey. Weird, huh?

Your tastes have always been in question.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Your tastes have always been in question.

laugh.gif

Maybe it's the bonito component that you don't like in those particular dashis. I'm kicking around in my head a combination of kombu and shiitake and then serve it with some of those gorgeous mushrooms they currently have at Far West Fungi. I'm afraid, though, that such a course would be too discordant with the rest of the meal.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
laugh.gif

Maybe it's the bonito component that you don't like in those particular dashis. I'm kicking around in my head a combination of kombu and shiitake and then serve it with some of those gorgeous mushrooms they currently have at Far West Fungi. I'm afraid, though, that such a course would be too discordant with the rest of the meal.

Yup. I love mushroom dashi. Far West has really great stuff right now. I went by yesterday late afternoon and picked up the best porcinis I have seen in some time. Also, the people there are like the anti-Boulettes, which I really appreciate.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yup. I love mushroom dashi. Far West has really great stuff right now. I went by yesterday late afternoon and picked up the best porcinis I have seen in some time. Also, the people there are like the anti-Boulettes, which I really appreciate.

Yeah, I saw the porcinis - they were perfect looking (and smelling).

fiasco

Reaction score
my dad makes the best cauliflower soup, its my favorite.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good thread. I spent part of the weekend testing out different soups in preparing for Thanksgiving.

I tried making a carrot/parsnip soup today for the first time with a food mill. The result was tasty, but the texture was more baby-food-like than it was soup. Should I add more stock next time to get it creamier, or should I cook the vegetables for longer before putting the mixture through the mill?

Ingredients I used (experimenting here, only made enough for 1)

3 carrots
2 small parsnips
1/2 white onion
1 garlic clove
1 cup of vegetable stock

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I tried making a carrot/parsnip soup today for the first time with a food mill. The result was tasty, but the texture was more baby-food-like than it was soup. Should I add more stock next time to get it creamier, or should I cook the vegetables for longer before putting the mixture through the mill?

Both. But be careful on the amount of liquid you add. Don't want it to get too watered down.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both. But be careful on the amount of liquid you add. Don't want it to get too watered down.
Is there a good proportion to use of stock vs vegetables, or will I just need to play around with different ratios to figure out what works?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics