• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanksgiving Recipes Thread

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to start this thread so that we can get a collection of good Thanksgiving recipes. You can post your own superduper Thanksgiving recipes, or request for one.

I'm looking for a good roasted leg of lamb recipe for this Thanksgiving. Please post something you've done, and actually tasted good. What ya got?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Deep fried turkey

one turkey no more than 12lbs.
5 gal peanut oil.
cajun butter rub to lather inside the skin of turkey or you can inject OJ

Deep fry til perfection.

DONT DO THIS DRUNK AND INSIDE ANY STRUCTURES!!!
NO WATER!!!

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
Deep fried turkey

one turkey no more than 12lbs.
5 gal peanut oil.
cajun butter rub to lather inside the skin of turkey or you can inject OJ

Deep fry til perfection.

GET VERY DRUNK (BOURBON WORKS WELL) AND DON'T DO THIS INSIDE ANY STRUCTURES!!!
NO WATER!!!

fixed.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have an invitation to celebrate Thanksgiving at our aunt's house. Last year she requested I bring along some of my lamb curry. She may do the same this year.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the really amazing Thanksgiving food I've had has been made my someone else. Perhaps I'm a tough critic when it comes to my own work.

For example, I've never made a pie that I thought was good. I've eaten many many many slices of pie that were delicious however.

Also, any desserts with pumpkin, to include pumpkin cookies and pumpkin cupcakes, are generally delicious unless made by me.

I can't make desserts
baldy[1].gif

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is excellant, I plan to have it with a sea salt brined without the liquid ( not sure what that process would be called) Turkey.
Creole Cornbread Stuffing.
2 cups flour
2 cups stone ground cornmeal
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons white sugar
5 eggs, beaten
6 tablespoons butter, melted
3 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons ground white pepper
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
4 teaspoons dried oregano

2 teaspoons dried thyme
6 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
4 bay leaves
1 cup minced onion
1 cup chopped green onions
1 cup chopped parsley
2 cups chopped red bell pepper
2 green chile peppers, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 cup butter
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
2 cups evaporated milk
7 eggs, beaten

* Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a 13x9 inch pan.

* Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and sugar, and mix well.

* Combine the 5 eggs, 6 tablespoons melted butter, and buttermilk. Add wet to dry while mixing on low with a mixer. Mix just until no dry ingredients remain. Pour into prepared pan.

* Bake until top is browned and a toothpick comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Allow to cool completely.

* To Make Stuffing: In a small bowl combine the 2 tablespoons salt with the white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, oregano, thyme, basil, and bay leaves.

* In another bowl combine the minced onions, green onions, parsley, red or green peppers, chili peppers, and garlic.

* Melt 1 cup butter in a large fry pan. Add the spices and cook for a few minutes. Add the vegetables and cook about 5 minutes. Do not allow the vegetables to brown. Add the stock and Tabasco. Stir and cook 5 minutes more. Crumble the cornbread into the skillet and mix. Add the evaporated milk and 7 eggs OFF THE HEAT. Make sure to stir well when adding the eggs. Return to low heat and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Place stuffing in a bowl and cover. Cool before stuffing turkey.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Can someone provide me with a better pumpkin pie recipe?

goodlife

Reaction score
Turkey cooked on a rotisserie on a charcoal grill with natural unprocessed charcoal after being brined overnight in a solution of water, salt, brown sugar and your choice of flavoring agents (ie black pepper, garlic, bay leaf...)

Sweet Potatoes baked till soft, removed from skins and mashed with butter and brown sugar to taste (I think it usually turns out to be a stick of butter and a cup of bs for every 4 sweet potatoes

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This involves some prep work and marination but the results are amazing. Recipe was given to me for partridges and pheasants. If you can get wild turkey, it is of course better. Otherwise, try to find the free-range birds (best bet is a local organic farm - they use them for pest control). Wash the meat, let dry. In a dry iron skillet, roast poppy seeds. Not burnt but just a little toasted. about handful. Put the poppy seeds into the pestle and mortar and grind them. Get about 15- 20 pods of cardamoms (use the smaller variety of cardamom), take out the black seeds and also grind them in the mortar. Chop and brown 3 - 4 red onions (this require some time but can be done well in advance) In a food processor, make a paste of garlic, ginger, serrano peppers, 10-15 peeled almonds, some microplaned nutmeg, a few strands of safron. The ginger is hard and a pain to make into a paste. Get 8-10 large tubs of russian/ iranian style yogurt (full fat ofcourse!), Indian style yougurt (dahi) is also OK, just not as sour and needs to be left out of refrigeration for 3-5 hours to get the bacteria more active. Mix the ginger-garlic..... paste into the yougurt. Mix in the cardamoms and the poppy seeds. Congrats, Your marinade is ready. (add some cayenne if you like to here) make a few bouquet garnies with cinnamon, cloves, corriander seeds. Slather the bird with the marinade, stick a bunch into the cavities, with a sharp thin knife/ice pick, skewer the legs (i.e. tougher areas) so that the marinade goes into them. This can be done in the same dish where the bird will be baked. Saran wrap the whole deal and stick it in the refrigerator for no less than 2 days. 3 days is better. Make sure there is no bird bare of the marinade. Prior to T-day, get about two dozen tender, small turnips ( I use japanese turnips from the farmers market - just a little larger than jawbreakers). Score the turnips with crosses and remove the rooty part. add them to the pan. Break a few sticks of butter into chunks and spread them around the pan. I also throw in a handful of jalapenos, for those who like to fish them out and need the additional kick. Put the pan with the tight lid, into the oven at the lowest heat (215F) or so for 6 - 8 hours. The turkey will be tender, infused with flavour. The fat in the yogurt will prevent the meat from drying out. 20 mins prior to serving, bring the temp up to 400F. Like making a stock, the flavour from the bones also get incorporated. serve and enjoy the appreciative nods.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
Can someone provide me with a better pumpkin pie recipe?
Try the one in the original Silver Palate Cookbook.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I want to start this thread so that we can get a collection of good Thanksgiving recipes. You can post your own superduper Thanksgiving recipes, or request for one.

I'm looking for a good roasted leg of lamb recipe for this Thanksgiving. Please post something you've done, and actually tasted good. What ya got?

The recipe I have posted for turkey, works surprisingly well for Lamb, also rabbit.

Have another lamb recipe posted in the nutmeg thread. I had made that in a terracotta pot.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I've got a great recipe for a Spicy Pumpkin Tart I've been fine-tuning for a few years. I'll post it later when I get out my recipe binder.

lpresq

Reaction score
Not quite on point, but does anyone have a fantastic Mac and Cheese recipe?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Help! I have an office thanksgiving potluck next week and I would like to make a relatively easy meal (meat dish, actually) to bring to an office of about 8 (maybe another 4 or 5 from another department. I dont mind marinating over a night or two and a few hours roasting/broiling. I'm consider a leg of lamb but I don't know.

What do you guys suggest? I would like something I can cook then refridgerate before bringing to the office (of course it would have to be microwaved before serving). So maybe something I can slice right after cooking? I have no clue. Help!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads