• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanks to all those that offer advice

Heron

Reaction score
Please forgive the somewhat sappy subtitle but it really feels that way.

I must say that I became quite discouraged by the way I was dressing and what it was doing to my self-image which was the reason for seeking out a forum of this nature as well as the Ask Andy site.  

There was nothing quite so depressing as looking down at oneself and being dismayed to see wrinkled, horrible clothes hanging there.  

Was it a mid-life thing - perhaps.  I did laser on the eyes, dramatically changed the hair style (and colour BTW), lost 30 lbs. and after a frantic time reading all the wonderful advice here and shopping like crazy on eBay for the past 3 months plus buying from a few forum members TODAY (literally) is the first day of the rest of my life from a sartorial perspective (heck I didn't even know that word 4 months ago).  Today I shall finally venture forth in my Canali jacket, Zanella cashmere pants, Zegna shirt, RLPL tie and AE shoes (just wish I had a pocket square but I'll work up to that one) - all but the tie are new, acquired as a result of the opinions and advice expressed here on the Style Forum.  Could some of the pieces be nicer, sure they could, but if that weren't the case what the heck would I do tomorrow?

Thanks Style Forum and all those that contribute/participate.

(note to moderator - sorry for the double post, I felt so good about this that I wanted as many as possible to see this - I hope you will allow me this one infraction)

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picture. Before and After would be nice but we'll settle for the after.
biggrin.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picture. Before and After would be nice but we'll settle for the after.
biggrin.gif
I actually like this idea--the before and after picture. Anyone else care to post a picture of their style before and after styleforum? I'll get to work on mine asap (in the midst of moving).

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Heron.

Bradford

uppercase

Reaction score
Well done, Heron.

Indeed, changing one's clothing style, can have powerful impact on perceptions and outlook on life.

Time for a new beginning.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Dark Side. I see that you already made a contribution to the people who help spend your money (us). Just be prepared to add a picture to the members thread (before/after), so we can puff up our chests and appear like we know something about menswear.

linux_pro

Reaction score
I think there should be a before/after thread for all the members of the forum.

uppercase

Reaction score
Hear. Hear.
But, personally speaking, "before" might be too scary, "after" is still a work in progress. Hooo Ahhh.
Nothing like new beginnings. Nothing like re-creating yourself.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was nothing quite so depressing as looking down at oneself and being dismayed to see wrinkled, horrible clothes hanging there.  
I kind of favor this look myself...

Heron

Reaction score
Fortunately I can say that I don't have a digital camera so I'll beg off providing pics (at least for now, way too intimidating) - it's too early anyway as I'm still agonizing over what goes with what and no doubt making a mess of it.

My SO has found this latest obsession to be rather amusing until last night when she realized that the dark blue shirt I was wearing matched the pin stripe in my suit and my tie perfectly - hehe, first time she's been speechless in a long time.

Thanks for the words of encouragement - I'm really enjoying myself with this and the reaction at the office has been interesting - everyone wondering if I've got important meetings going on that they haven't heard about, a couple probably think I'm interviewing to change careers.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Pick up a white linen handkerchief for a pocket square. It will work in any situation, and is an easy way to get started. Whenever I don't know what to choose or have time to look through the collection, I throw in a white linen square. It's always right. I have the three pack from Brooks, but you can find singles at men's stores for ~$15 each.

Congratulations, and welcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads