Thanks for the Help

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Dec 10, 2004.

1. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Not to start yet ANOTHER watch thread (no comments from Ernest please), but thanks for the guidance and suggestions from the WIS, layman, and students while I searched for my first "real" watch. Timezone is a great resource, but it's a lot of information to wade through for a beginner. SF provided a nice transition into discussions on movements, manufacturers vs. companies, designs, resale values, etc.

BTW, I went with an IWC (second-hand) for my dress watch and an Oris for an everyday beater.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

From what you've related to me, it sounds like you've done quite well, congrats on your purchases.

3. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Is it the IWC Portofino?

5. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Very nice I must say, I like the IWC look for a dress watch, must think about one for myself, currently wearing a Raymond Weil Parsifal for dress, but I like the lines on the IWC Portofino, subdued and light wieght. Nice choice, bravo. [​IMG]

6. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

[​IMG] Back to the books...

7. ernest

ernest Senior member

Do people wear golden bracelet watches in US? Nowadays in France, only grand fathers do, that's why this type of watche is very difficult to sell. I guess this is the same in UK, Italie or Germany. For exemple, the golden ellipse from Patek is cheaper with golden bracelet than leather with strap.

8. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Well, Ernest, on a positive note, I'm sure you'll agree that the watch itself is very handsome (my dad has had his IWC for more than 50 years). The lack of numbers makes it simpler and better.

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I think the bracelet is stainless steel.  It only looks a little like gold in the picture.

10. nightowl6261a

Well Ernest, not everyone in America can be as stylish as you guys in France, thank god we have you all to look at years down the road to help us figure out how we should dress over here....everyone, please stand and applaud the French for their uncompromising fashion coordination, I think I shall toss that golden band Rolex, it has grown so passe.

11. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 10 Dec. 2004, 10:17) Nowadays in France, only grand fathers do, that's why this type of watche is very difficult to sell. I guess this is the same in UK, Italie or Germany.
    Well, Ernest, on a positive note, I'm sure you'll agree that the watch itself is very handsome (my dad has had his IWC for more than 50 years). The lack of numbers makes it simpler and better.
    The watch is classic. I was just talking about the metal.

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'm pretty sure his watch is stainless steel.

13. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 10 Dec. 2004, 1:17) Do people wear golden bracelet watches in US? Nowadays in France, only grand fathers do, that's why this type of watche is very difficult to sell. I guess this is the same in UK, Italie or Germany. For exemple, the golden ellipse from Patek is cheaper with golden bracelet than leather with strap.
    Well Ernest, not everyone in America can be as stylish as you guys in France, thank god we have you all to look at years down the road to help us figure out how we should dress over here....everyone, please stand and applaud the French for their uncompromising fashion coordination, I think I shall toss that golden band Rolex, it has grown so passe.
    This was just a question, following by an information. Not an advice or an order... You do not car about Europe, this is your right. Some people may like to be aware of what is happening outside the US. I give them the information. The aims of this forums = exchanging informations and opinions, so I do not understand your ironic tone...

14. nightowl6261a

Actually Ernest, you are very wrong, I come to Europe every year, mainly to experience the culture, and the virtuous people of a fine and fun land...I will actually be in Paris this summer, enjoying one of the cities I like to call my second home...and although you think I do not care about Europe, you would be very shocked to learn how many of the traditions my wife and I have adopted into our lives,...so, you may have meant it as an information piece, but as with so many of your other posts that you place, it sounded condemning and arrogant...there is no irony in the tone, in all actuality, it is a straight and honest opine, not spiteful or mean, just an observation from reading. Not meant to create any riffs or point out any character flaws, you are you, and that is that.

15. ernest

ernest Senior member

I keep on thinking that this sentence is ironic :

Well Ernest, not everyone in America can be as stylish as you guys in France, thank god we have you all to look at years down the road to help us figure out how we should dress over here....everyone, please stand and applaud the French