• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanks for making me hate Tom Ford's sunglasses

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Venting.
Putthison posted some good deals from Overstock dot com, including some steeply discounted Tom Ford Hunter Aviators. The post also recommended A Headlong Dive's encomium for them.
Reading that post just made me hate the sunglasses. Seriously, I get it that spending more money generally gets you higher quality goods. Spending even more money gets those goods with style and taste that is otherwise hard to acquire. But this brand-whore love-fest for a pair of cloned specs just seems like silly BS. "The small script etched onto the lens that simply reads, "Tom Ford" reminds you that these are not merely sunglasses. Somehow part of Mr. Ford's elegance and bravado are gifted to you each time you don these shades." Seriously?
facepalm.gif

Now maybe I'm missing something. A year ago, I wouldn't have seen why someone would choose some $900 Edward Greens over a pair of $300 AEs - and I get it now. Is the rounder frame of the Tom Ford aviators that much more attractive than the original version by American Optical? Or is that blog post as stupid as I think it is?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Superga sneakers are awesome for the price, though. Got 'em at Costco a while back and I really enjoyed them ever since.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be clear - I think Putthison.com is great - one of my favorite style blogs. It was the other blog (which may otherwise be wonderful) that set off my BS detector.

The Supergas look cool, but I have some good white old-school Pumas for sumer, and I must curb my shoe-buying habit!

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole point of the affordable eyewear & EDT ranges that Tom Ford sells is to satisfy the hordes of people who want a 'taste' of a more glamourous & luxurious lifestyle. I don't have a problem with the consumer that comforts themselves with small purchase from Tom Ford.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
"The small script etched onto the lens that simply reads, "Tom Ford" reminds you that these are not merely sunglasses. Somehow part of Mr. Ford's elegance and bravado are gifted to you each time you don these shades."

God, that made me laugh--"not merely sunglasses". This is called a halo effect, and it's making Tom Ford a very rich man.

Mr_Incognito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
God, that made me laugh--"not merely sunglasses". This is called a halo effect, and it's making Tom Ford a very rich man.

But they are getting his bravado & elegance in return, atleast thats what they think.

On the face of the blogger the Rayban aviators would have looked much better but to him they both are the same design.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was the funniest thing I've read all day. I hope the blogger at "A Headlong Dive" was not serious.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At that cost get Barton Perreira's on Gilt or on sale at Barneys

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my girlfriend a pair. Lets see if her bravado increases...

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this kind of stuff. "I paid more money for it so its nicer and better". I recently lived with a guy who was all about how much money he spent on his clothes. He would come home with terrible stuff that he just bought and would proceed to tell me how he got them on sale at 40% off so he only paid $300 for his new jacket which looked like **** and didnt fit him properly. In his mind that jacket was way better than any of the clothes I owned because he paid $300 for it.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows the more you spend on clothes and accessories, the better they look on you. I mean, duh?

Reaction score
weird i saw A0's selling for almost twice the cost of the ford pair at a random optical. i figure they must have cost a lot to import. good thing i didn't buy them as i'm not into AO's anymore. thought bout them coz of the good press they get here but i want a less heritage-y pair. not the tom ford's though.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate expensive sunglasses with a passion. I can get polarized sunglasses in most any styling for around $20.

And yet people are going on about $900 sunglasses? **** that, sunglasses get dropped, scratched, or even lost. And they're all made in the same factory in china for less than pennies on the dollar.

With some items, there are genuine differences in quality and construction. On others, the pricing just serves to sever fools from their money.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The smartest thing designer's ever did was market sunglasses. It is an affordable luxury. They must make a fortune on them

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
im content with the rayban aviators i bought four years ago. i think they were 80 bucks or so, but they're sturdy and of good enough quality to not feel cheap, and they weren't prohibitively expensive either.

i dont think i could ever forgive myself for buying sunglasses that cost more than $150

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads