Thanks for Educating Me

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchingdetails2002, Apr 19, 2006.

1. watchingdetails2002

watchingdetails2002 Senior member

Well after watching this site for about a year, even contributing once and a while. I have discovered I have learned way more than giving out. But being a poor librarian on this rock in the pacific. I just don't and can't afford to dress as many of you do. Never-The-Less I appreciate you educating the librarian in Guam. Robert

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well after watching this site for about a year, even contributing once and a while. I have discovered I have learned way more than giving out. But being a poor librarian on this rock in the pacific. I just don't and can't afford to dress as many of you do. Never-The-Less I appreciate you educating the librarian in Guam. Robert

I think there are quite a few of us who can't afford to dress the way we do. [​IMG]

Do you go in for bargain hunting?

3. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

i think most of the folks on this board have found a way to dress very well at substantially less than retail. i know that i have accomplished by:

1. Understanding that classically cut clothes made of good materials will last for a very long time and remain wearable. This removes some of the purchase "sting".
    2. Making a plan about what I need and then buying on sale, off season, off eBay or using overseas makers to custom make clothes.

i would suggest that your proximity to hong kong puts you near an excellent resource.

4. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Second that. I've got a house to pay for. This stuff is on another level and the prices have to be adjusted by a digit as well.

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I think there are quite a few of us who can't afford to dress the way we do. [​IMG]

That would include me. Today I'm wearing (among other things), a $65 Brooks Brothers pima cotton polo shirt, bought new with tags on eBay for $12, and a $100+ pair of stone/white, Italian made chinos bought at Daffy's for $6. May not be so easy from Guam, but you can still do eBay. Oh, also a $25 pair of cotton socks bought for $2. It just takes diligence and knowledge.

6. watchingdetails2002

watchingdetails2002 Senior member

Would love to bargain hunt but that does not happen out here. I swear that even though I am living in a territory of the US. Guam is a 3d world country. I used to do the bargain shoppind when I lived in Colorado.

7. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

There's so much I want that I can't afford until I start working a better job... namely NOT at Hungry Howie's Pizza and Subs. If any of you laugh, you get beaten.