• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanks, book, party, etc.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have said nice things about my book. I'm glad so many people liked it, as this is a really discerning audience. To the rest of you, expect a visit from Remirro de Orco when you least expect it.

Thanks especially to J for giving me a home here for so many years, during which time I had a lot of fun, made a lot of friends, learned many new things, and honed many of my arguments.

SFers in NYC this Thursday are of course invited to the book party, at Venanzi, 3 West 56th, NYC, 6-8 pm. I hope to see you there.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome! Thank you for being here from the beginning and contributing so much invaluable knowledge and opinion and making the place what it is today. I hope the book does well for you and wish you luck on future projects. (I hear things...?)

Duveen

Reaction score
But the messengers reported that they greatly feared that there would be some grumbling at Cesena, where it will be remembered that Caesar had left Ramiro d'Orco as governor with plenary powers, to calm the agitation of the town. Now Ramiro d'Orco had accomplished his task so well that there was nothing more to fear in the way of rebellion; for one-sixth of the inhabitants had perished on the scaffold, and the result of this situation was that it was improbable that the same demonstrations of joy could be expected from a town plunged in mourning that were looked for from Imala, Faenza, and Pesaro.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
But the messengers reported that they greatly feared that there would be some grumbling at Cesena, where it will be remembered that Caesar had left Ramiro d'Orco as governor with plenary powers, to calm the agitation of the town. Now Ramiro d'Orco had accomplished his task so well that there was nothing more to fear in the way of rebellion; for one-sixth of the inhabitants had perished on the scaffold, and the result of this situation was that it was improbable that the same demonstrations of joy could be expected from a town plunged in mourning that were looked for from Imala, Faenza, and Pesaro.
A swift and cruel man. Belated congratulations, Manton. I've ordered the book today. How are your feelings about it now, that it's left you?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
A swift and cruel man.
I like the way Mansfield renders uomo crudele ed espedito: "a cruel and ready man".

How are your feelings about it now, that it's left you?
As I am lazy, it is nice not to have to work on it any more. The last several months were in many ways the hardest of all.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Did it ever diminish your interest in your topic? Did you find yourself getting sick of clothing?
I find that my appetite to spend money on new clothes is hard to diminish, sadly. I still love the topic and hope to do another -- ILLUSTRATED -- book, with a really terrific co-author.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I find that my appetite to spend money on new clothes is hard to diminish, sadly. I still love the topic and hope to do another -- ILLUSTRATED -- book, with a really terrific co-author.

---My VISA awaits. Congrats, Amazon sent, received today. Now to get some more linen sportcoats for the summer.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oh, I'm flattered, manton, really...but I don't know if I'll have time.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That would be just fantastic. It could become the sartorial bible (and maybe end up on all hotel bedside tables from Milan to Napoli...
wink.gif
)

Manton - I really liked the book btw. I read it on my flight to Italy on Friday and spent the weekend annoying my wife with discussions of all the details I liked and disliked on the outfits of the Italian men we would see walking around...
teacha.gif
laugh.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I read it on my flight to Italy on Friday and spent the weekend annoying my wife with discussions of all the details I liked and disliked on the outfits of the Italian men we would see walking around...
teacha.gif
laugh.gif

that sounds like a sure fire way to get a lot of sex while on vacattion.....
laugh.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
that sounds like a sure fire way to get a lot of sex while on vacattion.....
laugh.gif

The beautiful suite on the canal in Venice helped a lot more in that regard...
smile.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I still love the topic and hope to do another -- ILLUSTRATED -- book, with a really terrific co-author.
My secretary is holding for your call, though I have Alden on Line 1.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
My secretary is holding for your call, though I have Alden on Line 1.

Certainly you'll be co-authoring the "precious fibers" chapter, at a minimum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads