1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thanks, book, party, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, May 30, 2006.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Thanks to all who have said nice things about my book. I'm glad so many people liked it, as this is a really discerning audience. To the rest of you, expect a visit from Remirro de Orco when you least expect it.

Thanks especially to J for giving me a home here for so many years, during which time I had a lot of fun, made a lot of friends, learned many new things, and honed many of my arguments.

SFers in NYC this Thursday are of course invited to the book party, at Venanzi, 3 West 56th, NYC, 6-8 pm. I hope to see you there.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

You're welcome! Thank you for being here from the beginning and contributing so much invaluable knowledge and opinion and making the place what it is today. I hope the book does well for you and wish you luck on future projects. (I hear things...?)

3. Duveen

Duveen Senior Member

But the messengers reported that they greatly feared that there would be some grumbling at Cesena, where it will be remembered that Caesar had left Ramiro d'Orco as governor with plenary powers, to calm the agitation of the town. Now Ramiro d'Orco had accomplished his task so well that there was nothing more to fear in the way of rebellion; for one-sixth of the inhabitants had perished on the scaffold, and the result of this situation was that it was improbable that the same demonstrations of joy could be expected from a town plunged in mourning that were looked for from Imala, Faenza, and Pesaro.

4. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Distinguished Member

But the messengers reported that they greatly feared that there would be some grumbling at Cesena, where it will be remembered that Caesar had left Ramiro d'Orco as governor with plenary powers, to calm the agitation of the town. Now Ramiro d'Orco had accomplished his task so well that there was nothing more to fear in the way of rebellion; for one-sixth of the inhabitants had perished on the scaffold, and the result of this situation was that it was improbable that the same demonstrations of joy could be expected from a town plunged in mourning that were looked for from Imala, Faenza, and Pesaro.
    A swift and cruel man. Belated congratulations, Manton. I've ordered the book today. How are your feelings about it now, that it's left you?

5. Manton

A swift and cruel man.
    I like the way Mansfield renders uomo crudele ed espedito: "a cruel and ready man".

As I am lazy, it is nice not to have to work on it any more. The last several months were in many ways the hardest of all.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

As I am lazy, it is nice not to have to work on it any more. The last several months were in many ways the hardest of all.

Did it ever diminish your interest in your topic? Did you find yourself getting sick of clothing?

7. Manton

Did it ever diminish your interest in your topic? Did you find yourself getting sick of clothing?
    I find that my appetite to spend money on new clothes is hard to diminish, sadly. I still love the topic and hope to do another -- ILLUSTRATED -- book, with a really terrific co-author.

8. Soph

Soph Distinguished Member

I find that my appetite to spend money on new clothes is hard to diminish, sadly. I still love the topic and hope to do another -- ILLUSTRATED -- book, with a really terrific co-author.

---My VISA awaits. Congrats, Amazon sent, received today. Now to get some more linen sportcoats for the summer.

9. Teacher

Teacher Stylish Dinosaur

Oh, I'm flattered, manton, really...but I don't know if I'll have time.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That would be just fantastic. It could become the sartorial bible (and maybe end up on all hotel bedside tables from Milan to Napoli... [​IMG])

Manton - I really liked the book btw. I read it on my flight to Italy on Friday and spent the weekend annoying my wife with discussions of all the details I liked and disliked on the outfits of the Italian men we would see walking around... [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

I read it on my flight to Italy on Friday and spent the weekend annoying my wife with discussions of all the details I liked and disliked on the outfits of the Italian men we would see walking around... [​IMG] [​IMG]

that sounds like a sure fire way to get a lot of sex while on vacattion.....[​IMG]

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

that sounds like a sure fire way to get a lot of sex while on vacattion.....[​IMG]

The beautiful suite on the canal in Venice helped a lot more in that regard... [​IMG]

13. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I still love the topic and hope to do another -- ILLUSTRATED -- book, with a really terrific co-author.
    My secretary is holding for your call, though I have Alden on Line 1.

14. aportnoy

aportnoy Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

My secretary is holding for your call, though I have Alden on Line 1.

Certainly you'll be co-authoring the "precious fibers" chapter, at a minimum.

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Yes, the definitive statement on catmere has yet to be made.