• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanking other SFers

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a few occasions, members here have randomly PMed me for advise or questions based on something I've posted. Some have been totally out of the blue and tangentially related to a post I've made. Others have been in response to my offer to PM me for more information.

I've always been quite thorough and generous with my response. I've often gone beyond what is required for a response from a stranger. I do this, because other members have done the same for me. Moreover, it's a nice community here where I think it's a good thing to share experiences and help others. I always make sure to adequately thank the members who have done so for me.

However, more often than not, the members to whom I respond have not thanked me. I don't get it. A few days ago, I spent about 10-15 minutes writing a PM to a member, giving advise about traveling to a particular area. Nothing. No thank you. No response. Is it that hard to just reply, "Thanks."? Have other people had similar experiences?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't take it so seriously. Just make a mental note of the little ingrate and ignore his PM the next time.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They may not see the need to thank you if your information came unsolicited.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
They may not see the need to thank you if your information came unsolicited.
It's always been solicited. I've never randomly PMed members with advise. I'm talking about my response to people who PM me. Sometimes, the PMs to me have been unsolicited by me. Sometimes, I've asked people in a thread to PM me if they want advise or have questions. But I've never given unsolicited information. That's just kinda creepy to do.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
freaking kids these days.......
Someone ought to learn 'em some manners.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Don't take it so seriously. Just make a mental note of the little ingrate and ignore his PM the next time.

I have had similar experiences as Zach after writing long, detailed PMs and can understand his consternation. That said, I did simply ignore any other requests from the same member as you suggest. I have been thanked by others though and am not sure the ratio is that low.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel you. Most people are considerate here, though. Hopefully your experience doesn't cause you to stop giving thoughtful replies. I've likewise spent significant time responding to PMs for info, sometimes you get a reply, other times you don't. While a thanks is appreciated, I quickly soon forget about it anyway.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Post their names so we can burn them alive.

emptym

Reaction score
I've pm'd people for advice. I try to thank them. I hope I have.

If I haven't, Sorry! And thanks for the advice!

sloane3

Reaction score
This actually bothers you enough to start a thread?

I think you're taking it too seriously. But thank you for your advice on the best strapon for a beginner with a latex allergy.

Now who's going to call the whambulance?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloane3

I think you're taking it too seriously. But thank you for your advice on the best strapon for a beginner with a latex allergy.

I am waiting with bated breath for you to be banned.

Aperipan

Reaction score
I've thanked everyone who replied to me through PMs. I hope I wasn't one of the solicited inquirer. You're right to be upset though as it seems to me like common courtesy to reply with a quick "thank you."

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He wants some french cries and a whamburger!!

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My thread actually bothered you enough to warrant a response?

No problem on the advise. As I said in my PM, I don't know why you didn't just ask your mom, as she was the one who sold me on the virtues of non-latex strap-ons to begin with. But I guess your "mommy" issues are for another one of our PM sessions instead of for the whole forum.

sloane3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
I am waiting with bated breath for you to be banned.

What is it with the interwebs and bated breath? Or even better, baited breath. Are you actually breathing less forcefully in the expectation that I will be banned? It must be a serious matter for you. Does anyone use this phrase in real life?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads