• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thank you, ladyfriend

galwaykinnell

Reaction score
So a girl I've been dating recently convinced me to let her dress me up this past Saturday. I'm an awful dresser, a typical outfit for consists running shoes, baggy blue jeans, and a t-shirt. With the $100 I agreed to spend, she bought me slim-fitting off-black Levi's, a brown braided belt, and a grey t-shirt that was a size smaller than I usually buy (from a medium to a small). What a difference! I'm short and muscular, but never really looked fit in my clothes. Now, when I look in the mirror, I feel stretched out, and I look as athletic as I am. My next question is... where do I go from here?

My shoes definitely need an upgrade. After reading this forum and looking at pictures, I think I can pull off a darker brown desert boot, especially if I rough them up a bit hiking. I love these jeans, I could be happy getting more of the same style and color really. Any suggestions?

morefishscale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by galwaykinnell
So a girl I've been dating recently convinced me to let her dress me up this past Saturday. I'm an awful dresser, a typical outfit for consists running shoes, baggy blue jeans, and a t-shirt. With the $100 I agreed to spend, she bought me slim-fitting off-black Levi's, a brown braided belt, and a grey t-shirt that was a size smaller than I usually buy (from a medium to a small). What a difference! I'm short and muscular, but never really looked fit in my clothes. Now, when I look in the mirror, I feel stretched out, and I look as athletic as I am. My next question is... where do I go from here?

My shoes definitely need an upgrade. After reading this forum and looking at pictures, I think I can pull off a darker brown desert boot, especially if I rough them up a bit hiking. I love these jeans, I could be happy getting more of the same style and color really. Any suggestions?

First and foremost, I'm glad that you're taking interest in dressing better. You're going in the right direction if you decide to go with a pair of the desert boots since they go with many outfits. As far as jeans go, invest in a dark pair of denim. They can be worn casually, or formally depending on what you wear up top. With that, buy a few fitted shirts. if you aren't comfortable with your own ideas, go to a store and talk to an associate. Don't be afraid to ask questions and to try on several outfits. Find a look that will work for you and stick with it.

This was short and straight to the point, but if you need further guidance, don't be afraid to shoot me a message.

Best Regards

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go indigo next and save up for a better pair of jeans, mainline Levi's isn't that great.

Also, what desert boots have you been looking at? Clark's probably has the cheapest decent ones out there

galwaykinnell

Reaction score
I'll check out some other jeans, but I really do love the 514's she got me. Indigo... I like that.
I'm definitely looking at Clark's desert boots in either black or brown beeswax.
Regarding fitted shirts, do you have recommendations on wearing them in an edgier way? I play guitar in a band, and I've never quite figured out how to wear buttoned shirts in that "sloppy" Nick Cave/ Jamie Hince way.
Thanks to both of you for the help.

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll check out the jeans you mentioned, but I really do love the 514's she got me.
I'm definitely looking at Clark's desert boots in either black or brown beeswax.
Regarding fitted shirts, do you have recommendations on wearing them in an edgier way? I play guitar in a band, and I've never quite figured out how to wear buttoned shirts in that "sloppy" Nick Cave/ Jamie Hince way.
Thanks to both of you for the help.

confused.gif
Just get something well fitted and roll up the sleeves

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
514s are fine, not everyone needs raw selvedge.

It's good that you've become interested in clothes. Now do a little of your own research. You want to figure out:

1. What makes you look good and why
2. What you like the look of and why

so you need to learn a little about proportion and fit. And then you need to figure out what tastes you have; browse WAYWT and runway shows and blogs etc and figure out what you like and whether it suits you.

Also spend a little bit of time learning about fabrics and materials and quality. seasonal fabrics, goodyear welt and fully canvased are terms which should mean something to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads