• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thailand....just Phuket?

Karo

Reaction score
I'll be going on a little trip mid April. I was suppose to go to one of my friend's wedding in Seoul Korea, but due to some unforeseen circumstances I won't be able to make it so now I have a change of plans. They will be going on their honeymoon to Phuket right after their wedding, so hopefully my gf and I will be able to meet them there to give them our blessing and also for us to take a break from work.

I'm looking to relax on white sand beaches, noobie scuba diving, watch a live show, night cruise, maybe a little bit of hiking. I will be staying for about 5-7 days so time is a factor.

Any suggestions or experiences? Would it be wiser to join a tour? I hate the idea of following a hectic itinerary plus all those must stop tourism shops.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
are you sure your friend wants you tagging along on his honeymoon?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
are you sure your friend wants you tagging along on his honeymoon?

Maybe his friend and his fiancee are into that kind of stuff
wink.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah.... even if they like you to go with them, it sounds like a terrible idea tagging along on a honeymoon.

Karo

Reaction score
tounge.gif

You guys got the wrong idea, We'll just be meeting them for a dinner or drink. I know better than to bother 2 horny people on a honeymoon.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
okay. Whatever you do, don't join those package tour rip-offs, most probably you'll be wasting a lot of your time in shops you don't want to spend your money on, and moved like cattle from one place to another. Depends on how long you're staying, you could cover Phuket for probably 3d2n or 4d3n, and if you have more time you could go to the other places in Thailand. Thailand is one of the most covered places amongst travel books, and I think you could pretty much rely on the good ones to go around.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ok...Phuket basically divides into two categories. Godawful Patong and Other.

Patong is overrun tourist hell full of fat German dudes on scooters with the rented Thai girls who love them like monkey love banana.

Outside of Patong (Kata and Karon beaches for example) are much nicer. A little pricier sure, but you will appreciate the quiet.

I wouldnt spend a week there, 4 days is ample, spend the rest in Bangkok for a decent (if thoroughly beaten track) Thailand trip.

Jupiter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
ok...Phuket basically divides into two categories. Godawful Patong and Other.

Patong is overrun tourist hell full of fat German dudes on scooters with the rented Thai girls who love them like monkey love banana.

So true. I spent a week in Phuket with my girlfriend. We enjoyed the beaches, but the sight of so many fat German dudes getting massaged by skinny Thai girls on the beaches really made us want to leave.

Four days max, then go somewhere else.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't even go to pucket - I've only gone there a couple of times because I had work conferences there.

there are much better places in thailand, a little more quiet, a little less tourists. pucket is like disney for fat german guys.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree with that.

Say hi to your friends, then hightail it out of Phuket.

lefty

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ahh outside of Patong, it is really nice. Id go again.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Karo,

I don't know where you've been in SE Asia, but there are many places worth exploring. Thailand is wonderful, but I would anywhere in the country but Phuket.

Since I'm traveling there in a few weeks, it's on my mind, but have you considered Bali? In my opinion (others may disagree), Bali is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

lefty

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
pretty much the same as Phuket....

Phuket = Patong = full of drunk misbehaving Germans on scooters
Outside Patong...fabulous.

Bali = Kuta = full of drunk misbehaving Australians on football tours
Outside Kuta....fabulous.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
try ko lanta. or koh phi phi if you want a more happening island.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
pretty much the same as Phuket....

Phuket = Patong = full of drunk misbehaving Germans on scooters
Outside Patong...fabulous.

Bali = Kuta = full of drunk misbehaving Australians on football tours
Outside Kuta....fabulous.

To some extent, but I'll take a drunk Aussie over a German.

I would disagree on the beauty outside of the party zone though. Bali is unique in it's architecture, culture and environment. I've stayed in plenty of $10/night bungalows in both and have to say that even on the low end, Bali has them all beat.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads