• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thai tailor

Clark

Reaction score
There were a thread some time ago about these Thai tailors, and I thought I should put together a thread about my experience.

A couple of months ago my brother and I ordered one sport coat each from a visiting "tailor" from Thailand along with some shirts. I had done this once before with a quite good result, especially considering the price. This one had a large selection of fabrics of decent quality.

We both had some discussions with him about how they should fit. Especially how slim fit we wanted them, and how much cuff should be seen etc. He was very understanding and seemed to know what he was talking about. He was visiting a brother to a work colleague to my brother which have ordered from this tailor a lot of times before, mostly suits in different fabrics which he showned. Looked decent.

He wanted about $400 for a sport coat and it would take about 3 months. He didn't take any money then, but took our card details so he could get the money when we had received the goods (and was happy
smile.gif
).

I picked them up last week. As you can see in the pictures we weren't quite satisfied. We took pictures from each angle and also pictures of us wearing non-tailored British tweed coats (bought from E-bay for $100- $150). I did those comparison shots to send to him so he can understand what is wrong and give some constructive criticism. So these are the picture we have e-mailed him. He has agreed to take them back so we are shipping them to him this week. He wants to make adjustments but we have told him that they are beyond all help.
I did mark all areas with red so he could clearly see what's wrong, but I think you can do that without the markings
smile.gif
. Do I have to say which is which?

My brother's front one is especially funny, I can't understand how he can end up so far off
smile.gif

The fit of our tweed coats may not be perfect, but considering that many Swedish (and others) tourists end up with suits and coats like this thinking that they are perfect just because a "tailor" tells them so. They would be better of with a cheap H&M suit.

First my sport coat in quite a nice cashmere fabric:

LE_front_both.jpg

LE_side_both.jpg

LE_back_both.jpg

And then my brother's, in brown tweed:

DE_front_both.jpg

DE_back_both.jpg

Clark

Reaction score
Oh, forgot about this one. The lower back edge on my coat:
Ny_kant.jpg

PaulieCapone

Reaction score
hah .. i did some custom tailored suits too i am gonna recieve them next week .. but i am located in Egypt .. now i know what to expect
biggrin.gif
... i dont know how they will look like , but i will try to post some pictures when i get them ..
wink.gif

IMO .. god bless Brands ... they know what they do ..

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, that's classic. Thanks for posting. My very brief experience with Thai tailors was exactly the same. In addition to the poor fit, the construction quality is so poor that the jacket starts to lose its shape after a few wearings. I also agree that despite the poor fit, you look better than 80% of the folks out there with ridiculously ill-fitted jackets.

jmacak

Reaction score
Hi

Man, it looks like you have MUCH better luck with ebayed jackets (and they cost less to boot).

I have heard about a lot of "less than perfect" results from these kind of tailors.

Best of luck with those.

cheers

joe

Clark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulieCapone
your brothers suit looks like a Zoot suit
biggrin.gif

Haha, it actually does
smile.gif
. We lauhed a lot when making the pictures, so in one way it was almost worth it.

The "tailor" has now agreed to taking them back and has only taken payment for the shirts.

/C

chris lewis

Reaction score
Tailors are a dime a dozen around Thailand.

Most of them aren't really tailors at all. All they do is take your measurements, then send everything out to a sweatshop to be put together.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wow, that is quite a trainwreck.

That been said, your vents might be spreading too much in your other jackets too. I think you got a bit aggressive with the waist suppression. Are you guys particularly built? You don't look like the super broad shouldered, narrow waisted type.

JimMcBean

Reaction score
What was the difference in measurements that you gave to your Thai tailor and your eBay tailor? Were they the same?
boxing[1].gif

Clark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Wow, that is quite a trainwreck.

That been said, your vents might be spreading too much in your other jackets too. I think you got a bit aggressive with the waist suppression. Are you guys particularly built? You don't look like the super broad shouldered, narrow waisted type.

Yes, I think my brothers jacket is a little too slim. But he does have quite broad shoulders compared to his waist. In a way the Thai jacket does exaggerate this.

But we took those pics just so the tailor could get a hint of what we were aiming for, and didn't specify those jackets having a perfect fit.

As I said he did take a lot of measurements, he did take photos of us, both front and behind, so it is impressive to get so far off
smile.gif

/C

petitnoblesse

Reaction score
I had a train wreck...ooops I mean suit done in Thailand recently, but to the tailors credit he asked I take pics of where the suit went wrong and sent the suit and pics back.

He re-cut and fixed the suit and it looks quite nice. I did have four shirts made though and they were great.

GeorgeL

Reaction score
That workmanship, or rather lack of, is absolutely horrible. Which tailor was this? If we don't know the name of the tailor then it doesn't really do any good in warning others to avoid them.

djk

Reaction score
Hi!

Doesn't look nice, not nice at all. Would you mind stating the name of the "tailor" (he obviouslly can't be a real tailor...)?

I've just seen an ad in the local newspaper from one of those traveling thai "tailors" and it would be good to know if it's in fact from the same man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads