Testoni

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drizzt3117, Oct 21, 2004.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I did a search but didn't find anything about these, just wondering if the testoni shoes on bluefly were decent.

2. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Excellent.

I've found them the equal of any shoes I have, including my John Lobb and Grenson shoes.

IF you're near a NM, you might try them on there.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I've been keeping my eye on some testonis on bluefly.. I like the styling a lot, but they are very expensive, and the fact that they showed up on Bluefly in such great quantities makes me think that they are too heavily mass produced to be really good quality.

4. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

IIRC the sentiment here is that they are not really on par with Lobb, Green and that ilk quality-wise... but still in a similar price range.

They can be found for deals more often though, and are still a good shoe for sure.

5. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good shoes, though mostly Blake-Stitched, and therefore overpriced.

6. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The ones I have seen have been well-made shoes, but I really question the value at the prices they're asking nowadays. A lot of the designs aren't really my cup of tea, either.

Testoni has a number of lines, of which I believe the ones with the black label are the best (and most expensive).

7. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's for sure. They need to toss out the styling of their line altogether, and start over. There are a few nice looking pairs, but they are the minority.

8. jcusey

A lot of the designs aren't really my cup of tea, either.
    That's for sure. They need to toss out the styling of their line altogether, and start over. There are a few nice looking pairs, but they are the minority.
    My friendly neighborhood Neiman Marcus is having a Testoni trunk show on Saturday. I'm not really interested in ordering, but I will check it out to see whether Neiman's has just been buying the ugly shoes or whether they're all like that.

9. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Many of the black labelled Testonis I saw in their Roman shop had the black label. Most Testonis have horrendous leathers that crease like mad. The best I've seen from them are the Norwegian models, and on those they do try to differentiate themselves from other makers by the styling.....

10. jcusey

Well, I went, and I wasn't impressed. It's not that black-label Testoni shoes are poorly made: the attention to detail and the quality of construction are both excellent. It's that the designs don't appeal to me. There seem to be two toe shapes: boxy and ugly, or pointy and ugly. Most of the shoes have an extended sole edge and double soles. A lot of the detailing is of questionable taste (two that rub me the wrong way are the strips of leather in dark brown on a medium brown shoe and the spiral-cut "welt" strip that they seem to be doing on everything this season). The prices are too high (ca. $800 for the Bologna-constructed shoes, $1800 for the one Norwegian shoe that I saw). Worst of all for me was the fact that they don't have a stock special program. My only choice would have been whether I wanted the shoe in black or medium brown. That's it. Completely unacceptable in this day and age for a shoe that costs that much money.