Testoni vs. c&j handgrade

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

For Messrs. Harris, Bengal-Stripe and the like: Â I'm looking to buy some brown brouges. For $400 or less, I can get these C&J brouges, which have recieved favorable reviews here before, or these Testonis Any recomendations on one vs. the other?

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Both makes produce excellent shoes and either pair should last for years and give you lots of pleasure. There will be differences in fit and one pair will fit you better than the other one. Ideally you should try them on side by side and come to a decision. If you thinking of buying them mail order, but you have experience with either make, stick to the one that you already know and that fits you well.

Have you realized they are different styles (apart from the shape of the toecap)? The Testoni are bluchers (the quarters go over the vamp), while the C & J are balmorals (quarters go under the vamp). If you have a high instep, bluchers are preferable as you can regulate them more with the lacing.

If you order them through mail order, just make sure that you can return them in case the size is not right.

3. Stu

Stu Senior member

Thanks Bengal-Stripe. I hadn't bothered to look at the Bal vs. Blucher. Not that it makes much difference, because I am looking for a less formal shoe to wear with summer suits and such. I'm leaning toward the C&J just because I like the look a bit better, although the Testoni, at that price, is probably the better deal.

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Actually I think the C&J is probably the better quality shoe. Most Testoni's are overpriced. And I don't really like that particular Testoni anyway. It's kind of funny-looking from the side...

You'd probably be better off with a cap-toe but unfortunately the C&J's available online only seem to include the dressier versions with less broguing.

5. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

You probably saw this pair but just in case: Testoni They are more on the casual side. And speaking of Testoni - I've seen this pair in person and they are a GREAT shoe: Testoni Still quite expensive though - even at 50% off.

6. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Stu:

I LOVE the Testoni loafers I got from E-Bay and had the spot problem fixed with. Great color, great style, great fit, and great price...