• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Testing online shirt makers in the quest for a decent $100 or less shirt

StyleQuant

Reaction score
Two facts have recently become inescapable:

1. My body shape is becoming more "robust", and as a consequence all my slim-fitting shirts are starting to distinctly pull when I'm seated (not a great look).
2. My existing shirts are in any case increasingly degraded and starting to fray. Looking back on past purchases, somehow most of them seem to be 5 - 10 years old! (Time flies)

So I need to re-stock. I talked to my tailor, who cheerily tried to sell me new shirts at £199 per piece. That just seems excessive, and I believe it must be possible to get great quality, great fitting shirts for less than half that price.

To that end I have harvested the Styleforum archives to find recommended online shirt makers that can deliver for $100 or less.

So far I have ordered individual white shirts from ProperCloth, Luxire, Lanieri, Apposta, and iTailor.

The plan is to see what comes back, and then buy a complete batch from the shirtmaker which delivers the best fit / quality combination.

Are there any others I should try?

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ratio clothing is supposed to be good.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spier & Mackay

I'll say the lower relative cost comes out with: less quality control and longer wait times.

Though the customization level is higher. You can give your own collar specs, specify unlined/lined/fused, etc.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
The plan is to see what comes back, and then buy a complete batch from the shirtmaker which delivers the best fit / quality combination.

If the original poster is still around, I'd liek to hear how you've got on with this search. I'm doing somethign similar myself - currently I have sample orders in from Ledbury, Lanieri, and Luxire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads