• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Test a GPS Device Before You Buy

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Pretty cool simulation so that you don't feel lost using one.

http://www.live.tomtom.webcollage.ne...ionFormat=html

The model used in there is a TomTom Go720.

Now if Garmin or any other brands came out with something like this, we could have a better understanding of what all these features do.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Nice. Not to mention my 720 rocks.

Awesome, yeah everyone that I know thats used one has great things to say about it.

Do you use the MP3 or video function?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoulPatcher
Awesome, yeah everyone that I know thats used one has great things to say about it.

Do you use the MP3 or video function?

I've thought about it, but my iPod has the FM transmitter so what's the point? I mean I'm sure it'd get a higher quality sound, but I haven't gotten around to using it yet.

Plus I don't really have any use for having videos available in my car.... It's a cool feature, but an unpractical one for me.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
That is pretty cool. I just pulled the trigger on a Garmin Nuvi 660 for the Amazon Gold Box special so we'll see how it works ... I have used a Garmin 360 before (it wasn't mine) and got good results, so the 660 should be even better.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
That is pretty cool. I just pulled the trigger on a Garmin Nuvi 660 for the Amazon Gold Box special so we'll see how it works ... I have used a Garmin 360 before (it wasn't mine) and got good results, so the 660 should be even better.

Pretty cool. Remember to register it at GadgetTrak so that if its ever stolen and someone hooks it up to the comp, you can find it again.

You should have gotten a TomTom though, the GO 720 is supposed to be better than the 660!

Definitely report back how its working out for you though. Interested to hear. GPS is red hot.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
^^ Thanks, will do. The Nuvi 660 just came in the mail on Saturday. I'll be putting it through its paces this coming weekend.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
So far I have only had a chance to use the Nuvi once. I'm still fiddling with it but it seems to work well.

My biggest issue seems to revolve around the mount. I bought a friction mount but it hasn't come in the mail yet. This permits optimal placement for use of the FM transmitter and other features. A suction cup mount comes standard but reports indicate that theives look for the suction cup marks on your windshield to target cars that may have GPSs ripe for the stealing. So I have not used the suction cup mount. I've been leaving the GPS in the passenger seat, which means I can't really look at it while driving (and the signal reception is poor).

The FM transmitter feature isn't working too well with the current placement either. If I had it on my dash it would have a straight line to my FM antenna. Right now I can use it with an unused FM station but I still get a lot of static. Finding a more clear broadcast (from the Nuvi) would permit me to use both the mp3 player, bluetooth and the nav direct through the car stereo.

I also found out my cell phone (Samsung Gleam) is not compatible with the Nuvi. The Gleam is rather new so I'm hoping Garmin will come out with an update soon.

The Nuvi has only screwed up navigation once ... when I was passing under a freeway ramp it thought I was still on the freeway. I knew where I was going so it didn't make any difference.

I also note that the battery life isn't so great. Then again, you have to keep the backlight constantly on to see the screen. So it should not be a surprise. The friction mount allows you to use the (included) car adaptor so battery life should not be an issue going forward.

My friction mount is due to arrive in 2 weeks or so ... will see what transpires after then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads