• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Terrible creasing on Meermin Chelsea boots

Noblearistocrat

Reaction score
Got advised to ask this question on here. Just getting into fashion so totally new to everything. I bought my first pair of boots, black calfskin Chelsea boots from Meermin. At first I bought them in 40.5(my size) but I couldn't get them on my foot (my feet are very short but broad and deep). So I replaced them for size 41.5. Was initially happy with them despite large toe space.

However, after about 4 wears(with shoe trees) the creasing is getting really bad, to the point where I'm not sure if I can keep wearing the shoes. I'm not sure if it's me not being used to leather shoes or it's just really bad or a mix of both. But it makes me feel very uncomfortable. The creases look a lot better when the shoes trees are in them?

What are my options here? Am I fucked? Should I just keep wearing them and ignore the creases? Should I buy inserts to try to make the toe gap smaller? I really don't know at this point. I'm super sad as I was very happy with the look and quality of the shoes at first. Maybe I have too much of a freak foot size to wear boots. It's crazy how I managed to be 181 CM tall with only 40.5 size feet.

I definitely think this amount of creasing can't be normal.

Attachments

KotaB

Reaction score
Totally normal man, don't sweat it. Your can get shoe trees that will help cut down on the creasing but its just part of the process my friend.

Reaction score
There's a little additional creasing in the toe-box area, but I think that's because of the size up. Other than that the creases are definitely normal and the uniformity of the creasing highlights the high-quality leather that Meermin uses. Keep rocking those awesome boots!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sfroide3

Reaction score
One thing you will learn is that all lasts (the shoe shape) come in different length, width, instep, etc, etc, etc. It will require some time to figure out what brand and what last fits you the best. I can't wear some lasts from some companies at all. Just put your shoes trees when you don't wear the shoes. If you think it's a little big in the "front" - here is what I did on my meermin hiro last Chelsea boots. I removed the leather half insole with the rubber padding and added a better quality full insole. It didn't change the position of the heel and arch while reducing a little the room I had in the front.

Chowkin

Reaction score
This will help ease your mind:

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This will help ease your mind:

Thanks for sharing that

to the OP. It is 1000% normal. If it doesn't crease, most likely it is not real leather. Real leather creases, just like our skin does.

georgeka

Reaction score
^^^ what they said

Just embrace it. It is pretty similar to buying raw denim and trying to avoid fading. Apart from that, next time I would go with 41, if you think this last is ok

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • 31 - 40