• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terrible creasing on Meermin Chelsea boots

Noblearistocrat

Reaction score
Got advised to ask this question on here. Just getting into fashion so totally new to everything. I bought my first pair of boots, black calfskin Chelsea boots from Meermin. At first I bought them in 40.5(my size) but I couldn't get them on my foot (my feet are very short but broad and deep). So I replaced them for size 41.5. Was initially happy with them despite large toe space.

However, after about 4 wears(with shoe trees) the creasing is getting really bad, to the point where I'm not sure if I can keep wearing the shoes. I'm not sure if it's me not being used to leather shoes or it's just really bad or a mix of both. But it makes me feel very uncomfortable. The creases look a lot better when the shoes trees are in them?

What are my options here? Am ********? Should I just keep wearing them and ignore the creases? Should I buy inserts to try to make the toe gap smaller? I really don't know at this point. I'm super sad as I was very happy with the look and quality of the shoes at first. Maybe I have too much of a freak foot size to wear boots. It's crazy how I managed to be 181 CM tall with only 40.5 size feet.

I definitely think this amount of creasing can't be normal.

Attachments

• 2019-11-19 20.48.34.jpg
    2019-11-19 20.48.34.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,220
  • 2019-11-19 20.48.30.jpg
    2019-11-19 20.48.30.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 2,603
  • 2019-11-19 20.48.21.jpg
    2019-11-19 20.48.21.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 2,545

KotaB

Reaction score
Totally normal man, don't sweat it. Your can get shoe trees that will help cut down on the creasing but its just part of the process my friend.

Phullyman

Reaction score
Looks normal to me. I think it's all in your head

Reaction score
There's a little additional creasing in the toe-box area, but I think that's because of the size up. Other than that the creases are definitely normal and the uniformity of the creasing highlights the high-quality leather that Meermin uses. Keep rocking those awesome boots!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sfroide3

Reaction score
One thing you will learn is that all lasts (the shoe shape) come in different length, width, instep, etc, etc, etc. It will require some time to figure out what brand and what last fits you the best. I can't wear some lasts from some companies at all. Just put your shoes trees when you don't wear the shoes. If you think it's a little big in the "front" - here is what I did on my meermin hiro last Chelsea boots. I removed the leather half insole with the rubber padding and added a better quality full insole. It didn't change the position of the heel and arch while reducing a little the room I had in the front.

Chowkin

Reaction score
This will help ease your mind:

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This will help ease your mind:

Thanks for sharing that

to the OP. It is 1000% normal. If it doesn't crease, most likely it is not real leather. Real leather creases, just like our skin does.

georgeka

Reaction score
^^^ what they said

Just embrace it. It is pretty similar to buying raw denim and trying to avoid fading. Apart from that, next time I would go with 41, if you think this last is ok

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads