1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Terrible Auto Design Trends

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Grey, Feb 25, 2011.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

McLaren MP4-12C has them on the wheel. Personal preference, I guess.

Formula 1 racecars have them on the wheel, too. Column-mounted shifter paddles are the exception, not the norm.

The MP4-12C's paddle shifters are very clever, with their design derived from their F1 cars: there is a single pivot in the center of a single lever, instead of two separate pivot points for two separate levers. They also have an interesting automatic downshifting mode, where you just hold it down as you brake, and the gearbox keeps shifting down: you don't have to pull the lever for every gear you want to go down.

--Andre

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Complex headlight shapes with random scalloped cutaways and counter-curves. I don't know why this trend started, but it's been going on strong for 6-7 years. It also seems that manufacturers like to bungle a car's headlights with these effects in mid-cycle freshening. See Mercedes as an example. Every refreshed Benz is a significantly uglier version of its former self.

The 12C is mercifully straightforward and economical in design compared to a lot of what's out there. All the new Ferraris are seriously ugly to me. Much prefer Lamborghini styling--which I could not have imagined myself thinking 10 years ago.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Complex headlight shapes with random scalloped cutaways and counter-curves. I don't know why this trend started, but it's been going on strong for 6-7 years. It also seems that manufacturers like to bungle a car's headlights with these effects in mid-cycle freshening. See Mercedes as an example. Every refreshed Benz is a significantly uglier version of its former self.

I blame the Porsche 996.

4. epb

epb Senior member

Anything Chris Bangle is terrible design.
    Most bimmer owners will agree. [​IMG]

Not really - Chris Bangle designed the E46 3-series and the interior of the E39 5-series, I think, which are still popular. Dumping on him is an easy bandwagon to join, but his design direction resulted in enormous sales for BMW and put them on the map as far as design - only diehard Bimmer fans know who designed most older Bimmers, and only the E24 6-series and E9 CS coupes garnered attention as far as design before then. The Bangle-era cars have had more impact on car design as a whole than anything BMW's ever done.

And as more cars start to resemble/mimic them, they look less alien out on the road.

5. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the car designers at Art Center are all sci-fi geeks. Most new cars looks like a space ships to me.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Not really - Chris Bangle designed the E46 3-series and the interior of the E39 5-series, I think, which are still popular. Dumping on him is an easy bandwagon to join, but his design direction resulted in enormous sales for BMW and put them on the map as far as design - only diehard Bimmer fans know who designed most older Bimmers, and only the E24 6-series and E9 CS coupes garnered attention as far as design before then. The Bangle-era cars have had more impact on car design as a whole than anything BMW's ever done. And as more cars start to resemble/mimic them, they look less alien out on the road.
    Nakamura designed the E46 and the E39, as well as the original Z3 :p also, most Bimmers prior to Nakamura were designed in-house by the Germans and not really attributed to any designers, as late as the E36.

7. foulard

foulard Senior member

I blame the Porsche 996.

Funny you should mention the 996. Its as if Porsche agreed with that type of criticism by making the 997 look like the old 993 again (and every other 911 before it) from the front.

8. sonick

sonick Senior member

Nakamura designed the E46 and the E39, as well as the original Z3 :p

also, most Bimmers prior to Nakamura were designed in-house by the Germans and not really attributed to any designers, as late as the E36.

You mean Nagashima. Nakamura is Nissan.

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

You mean Nagashima. Nakamura is Nissan.

I do/did [​IMG]

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

Nagashima did not do the E46. Erik Goplen did. But epb's point is that Bangle was still running the design department that produced the E39 and E46, so he is not pure evil like some BMW fanboys would like to make him out to be. He's also the guy that elevated the designer in BMW to equal footing as the engineers. Nowadays, that's the cool thing for everyone else to do.

--Andre