• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terrible Auto Design Trends

Grey

Reaction score
There are lots of things that would fit under this category, but this Brabus CLS that Autoblog posted today showcases the worst one. Chintzy off-color fender trim.

2012-brabus-cls4.jpg

2012-brabus-cls5.jpg

It's like a really bad pocket square. It's waaaay too deliberate for something that has zero function. This is the worst one I've ever seen, but the new SL has one, the CTS has one, the 7 series has one, etc. Would it KILL automakers not to put something here? Why do they all have to do exactly the same **** like sheep?

The side blades on an Audi R8 are iconic, they make the car. These things on the CLS do NOT.

Whose idea was this?

Post other similar garbage as appropriate.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LED strips.

Grey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
LED strips.

^^
Yeah, this is another one.

Not to intentionally bring up the R8 again, but it's available with REAL LED headlights. No conventional bulbs. They're fantastically expensive, but they really work. Still has the strips also, but at least the actual headlights are using LED's.

I'm sure other cars have these available by now also.

LED strips are purely aesthetic, and are by extension awful. It's the OEM version of late 90's underbody neon.

LED tails are fine IMO, as they're functioning as an actual light, not as a garnish on an actual light.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grey
^^
Yeah, this is another one.

Not to intentionally bring up the R8 again, but it's available with REAL LED headlights. No conventional bulbs. They're fantastically expensive, but they really work. Still has the strips also, but at least the actual headlights are using LED's.

I'm sure other cars have these available by now also.

LED strips are purely aesthetic, and are by extension awful. It's the OEM version of late 90's underbody neon.

LED tails are fine IMO, as they're functioning as an actual light, not as a garnish on an actual light.

I believe they also qualify as day time running lights which is part of their reasoning. Audi claimed something like a 1% fuel efficiency bump by that change which might not mean much to the end consumer but CAFE wise on their end, its a big deal.

LEDs are expensive now but they are not a trend, they are the direction.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rarely like Brabus aftermarket designs.

henrikc

Reaction score
LEDs as tail lights are much quicker to light. I think I've seen figures coming in at around 0.2 seconds quicker, but I'm not 100% sure. Either way, it gives you around 18 feet "extra" if you're doing 62 mph on the highway. That's a car lenght, and it sure comes in handy if you need to break fast.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Saw the Brabus CLS and thought it looked cool, but immediately thought 'I'd match paint those fender gills' as well. I agree with LED strips as well, they're a ricer add-on here now as of a couple years ago, and you can spot the cheap aftermarket ones a good ways away because they're always weak and look spotty compared to the heavy strips in the Phaeton or A5.

I think the Shooting Brake is kind of a stupid trend. Enthusiasts and auto journalists love to play it up, talk about the old ones from the 70's, and then when you graft a modern nose on one, it looks like the original M Coupe, it doesn't play out well, and you can tell by the reactions people give. Practical yes, but I really don't see the need for it on the really expensive ones like the Ferrari FF. You can afford an expensive car, you should be able to afford to not carry much luggage if you're taking it overnight, right?

the huge character line creases down the sides of new BMWs, most other cars now - too exaggerated; we're living in the late 50's again, except now it's not tailfins, it's character and hood lines and the urban dune buggy contingent.

smaller stuff:

non functional fender gills, cop-out design move, and by 2011, really way overdone, I saw a tiny Chevy Aveo or something with chrome fender ports, seriously.

black wheels, enough said

'time attack' black wheels with the red lip, I already have pistol to my head

matte wraps - give me a break. This **** is usually done to the least appropriate cars as well, design-wise. I'd understand if you have a ******* LP640, but this is never the case.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
I believe they also qualify as day time running lights which is part of their reasoning. Audi claimed something like a 1% fuel efficiency bump by that change which might not mean much to the end consumer but CAFE wise on their end, its a big deal. LEDs are expensive now but they are not a trend, they are the direction.
Ya, LEDs in other usage around the car I am ok with, especially brake lights. It's just the dot-dot-dot in a row of LED strips that look too 'fast and furious'. If it were diffused so that it glows, it's much more subtle and classy:
mclarenp11-577.jpg

CHenry

Reaction score
I really don't like the angry-looking Halloween Jack-O-Lantern headlight designs. The first ones I recall I saw on the Infiniti FX-35 front-end redesign (the original lamps were fine). It has now become more pervasive, and Hyundai has them on some of their cars. They have this soon-to-be-dated look that seems like they hired Manga artists to design their cars. The other trend I can't stand is the "Attack of the Chevrons" styling that Acura, particularly, has been doing. They seem to have done an especially bad rendition of Cadillac's "Art and Science" (what a pretentious notion) faceted, high beltline look, not so pretty at all. And what is BMW thinking with their copy of Honda's hideous Crosstour? "Look, we can be ugly and expensive, too." Bad taste.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHenry

And what is BMW thinking with their copy of Honda's hideous Crosstour? "Look, we can be ugly and expensive, too." Bad taste.

The BMW X6 first came out as a 2008 model and the Crosstour as a 2010 I'm pretty sure. I view the Crosstour as derivative of the X6 design, but maybe you're thinking of the 5 GT?

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
The BMW X6 first came out as a 2008 model and the Crosstour as a 2010 I'm pretty sure. I view the Crosstour as derivative of the X6 design, but maybe you're thinking of the 5 GT?

I'm guessing the 5GT was what they were referring to. Funny enough, I was at the dealer last Saturday picking up my car after some warranty work and this couple comes to pick up their X6... in their 5GT. How do you pick the two ugliest BMWs in recent memory for both your cars?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHenry
I really don't like the angry-looking Halloween Jack-O-Lantern headlight designs.

+ a million. This ruins some otherwise nice (and often expensive) cars.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The front end of the up and coming Lamborghini should qualify

lp700-2.jpg

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
that thing looks awesome. Like a cherry red F-22. Melts panties in 2.9 seconds

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads