Terminology question: "Cocktail attire requested"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Locke42, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Locke42

Locke42 Active Member

A friend and I got a deal to attend a magic show here in LA, and one of the notes in the description says, "Cocktail attire requested."

What does this mean? The venue is a pretty ritzy hotel (Beverly Wilshire Hotel) at night with a small audience, probably fewer than 60 audience members. I'm assuming it's more formal than typical "business casual" dress shirt and slacks, which probably means dark suit and tie. Unfortunately, the only suits I have are.....well, crap, to put it lightly.

I do own a pretty nice BB tux that I got recently for a wedding. Can I dress it down for something like this? No tie, with a plain white shirt or even a colored/patterned/dark shirt?

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Get a decent suit. This won't be the last time you'll be needing it.

3. Locke42

Locke42 Active Member

I plan to, but not on such short notice. All the online MTM stores seem to take about a month to make one.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

Lounge suit not evening dress, ladies in short dresses.

5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Buy a nice suit.
    NO to the tux...

6. Locke42

Locke42 Active Member

I plan to, but not at such short notice. I was thinking of either propersuit.com or blacklapel.com (leaning towards the former), but all of the online MTM stuff seems to take a month and a half.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

The problem with MTM (and to a lesser degree, bespoke), is that the first suit they turn out is really a crap-shoot. It's very likely that further alterations will be required - so don't count on that month-and-a-half business, assuming they actually get it done in that timeframe. The general trend is that it takes a couple of suits to get a fit dialed in, even when going with in-person fittings. For short-notice, go to a BB or similar, find something off-the-peg that fits you well, get the alterations done and run with it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

8. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I'd wear the tux, but I know most people wouldn't. Is there any reason why you can't walk into a nice store and get a suit that needs minimum tailoring (shorten the sleeve, nip in the waist)?