• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tequila

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To each his own, but I wasn't impressed by the taste of Casa Dragones Blanco, which I have tried multiple times. I would take Siete Leguas Blanco or Tequila Ocho Plata over it (and at half the price.) I will give Casa Dragones credit for remarkable PR &marketing in a very crowded, "ultra premium" marketplace. The brand does get a lot of buzz.
+1 dragones uses a diffuser and is much more machine made/manipulated

For traditional/ancestral tequila I prefer Fortaleza, Siete Leguas, Tesoro/tapatio

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't had it in awhile (not available around here), but I was always impressed by the value proposition of Hacienda de Chihuahua.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To each his own, but I wasn't impressed by the taste of Casa Dragones Blanco, which I have tried multiple times. I would take Siete Leguas Blanco or Tequila Ocho Plata over it (and at half the price.) I will give Casa Dragones credit for remarkable PR &marketing in a very crowded, "ultra premium" marketplace. The brand does get a lot of buzz.

I’ll need to track those down! I’ve probably got 2 dozen tequila on the go in my bar at any one time, and this is by far best I’ve ever tasted but taste is definitely subjective! How else do you explain why Jack Daniels is likely America’s number one whiskey lol

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ll need to track those down! I’ve probably got 2 dozen tequila on the go in my bar at any one time, and this is by far best I’ve ever tasted but taste is definitely subjective! How else do you explain why Jack Daniels is likely America’s number one whiskey lol

Marketing?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More like combination of the two, and the "product placement" over the years (I can't count the number of photos of Keith Richards gripping a bottle of JD I've seen) doesn't hurt. Much like Levis captured something distinctly American for non-Americans yearning for some kind of connection to Americana, Jack Daniels has done the same, which is why it can be found in any bar in the world, from the finest to the crappiest.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not the biggest fan of tequila but certainly enjoy having a meal with 1 oz of tequila. Right now been drinking Maestro Dobel, which is quite good. As a recommendation, try drinking your tequila in a tequila cup, not the shot or "caballito", let it breathe and you will savoir the taste of the agave.

Right now I'm more of a fan of mezcal, comes from the agave too, but a different process and I love the smoked smell of it.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have had an enjoyable time and learned much about our personal palettes by doing blind tastings with multiple brands. It's interesting to have your friends take a sip and then say why they like it or why they don't. Great way to finish off a nice dinner too!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not the biggest fan of tequila but certainly enjoy having a meal with 1 oz of tequila. Right now been drinking Maestro Dobel, which is quite good. As a recommendation, try drinking your tequila in a tequila cup, not the shot or "caballito", let it breathe and you will savoir the taste of the agave.

Right now I'm more of a fan of mezcal, comes from the agave too, but a different process and I love the smoked smell of it.

I tried a few mezcals, mainly the Del Maguey selections and just never developed a taste for it. Oddly for the same reason as you seem to enjoy it!

We have had an enjoyable time and learned much about our personal palettes by doing blind tastings with multiple brands. It's interesting to have your friends take a sip and then say why they like it or why they don't. Great way to finish off a nice dinner too!

Agreed, my favorite way to experience spirits. That said, picked these up today. Having the Ocho as I type this, and while good, I still find the Dragones more pleasing to my palate. It’s very good though, and appreciate the recommendation!

06B42D52-849C-43E2-926B-0322F144A446.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Agreed. We bought a set of these cups on our last visit to Yucatan, and I've used them faithfully since. I like to liken it to drinking bourbon out of a shot glass. It works, but you lose half the experience of drinking bourbon that way.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So of the two I posted, the Miagave is my favorite. I bought the anejo, and may pick up the blanco next time. Nothing against the ocho - it is a good tequila. It just didn't really distinguish itself meaningfully to me when compared to others I've had. Keep those recommendations coming though!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep those recommendations coming though!

Try the Siete Leguas Blanca. They were the original supplier to Patron for the first few years when the brand was first getting established. If you like something with a bit more age, then try their Anejo. But the Blanco is an ideal sipping tequilia IMHO.

12291548282910.png

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Try the Siete Leguas Blanca. They were the original supplier to Patron for the first few years when the brand was first getting established. If you like something with a bit more age, then try their Anejo. But the Blanco is an ideal sipping tequilia IMHO.

View attachment 1459981
Love siete leguas

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1459981

Thanks Gus, next up assuming I can find it. However, I've noticed the dearth of good bourbon is made up for by a very broad selection of tequila here in Texas, so optimistic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads