Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tequila

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Piobaire, Aug 22, 2009.

1. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

El Jimador is pretty good for being relatively cheap ($20-22 for 750ml usually) but are there any other good below $20 tequilas out there are at least below $25?

Also, do you guys have any good drink recipes for tequila? Maybe a killer margarita recipe or something a bit different? Thanks

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

El Jimador is pretty good for being relatively cheap ($20-22 for 750ml usually) but are there any other good below $20 tequilas out there are at least below $25?

Also, do you guys have any good drink recipes for tequila? Maybe a killer margarita recipe or something a bit different? Thanks

[​IMG]

The one on the left, $27. As good as tequila that costs more than twice that.

Killer recipe? Right here:

[​IMG]

3 oz Muchote, 1 oz home made prickly pear cactus syrup, juice of half lime, 1 oz triple sec., simply syrup to correct for lime if too tart.

3. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

For margaritas I've found that adding a can of beer to about 2 gallons really improves the flavor. I have no idea why either.

4. Piobaire

For margaritas I've found that adding a can of beer to about 2 gallons really improves the flavor. I have no idea why either.

This is true and this is why:

Citrus = acidic
    Beer = basic

You're essentially buffering the acid and making it a smoother drink.

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

This is true and this is why:

Citrus = acidic
    Beer = basic

You're essentially buffering the acid and making it a smoother drink.

[​IMG]

Thanks

6. Threak

Threak Senior member

El Jimador is pretty good for being relatively cheap.

If tequila isn't 100% agave, what makes up the balance?

El Jimador Reposado was the default table tequila for most of the events (wedding receptions, anniversaries, mariachi concerts, etc.) I went to in Jalisco about 10 years ago. Whereas wine or champagne might be served in the US, in Mexico you'd have bottles of El Jimador and Squirt.

Then, like Pio said, they started selling it as a mixto and it lost its authenticity. I don't think it remained as popular.

Anyway, tequila + Squirt is the most popular way Mexicans drink it mixed. And, while El Jimador Reposado was popular as the default "good value" tequila, the tequila recognized as the default "good" tequila was, and still is (at least among the older generation), Cazadores Reposado. This is aside from all the premium tequilas that gained popularity in the last few years, though, with shots selling for more than a decent bottle and every other song on hip-hop radio stations talking about Patron shots.

And to answer the earlier question:
    At a distillery I was told that it takes 51% Agave alcohol to be called tequila, so most mixtos meet this minimum and the rest is sugar cane alcohol (since it's cheap to produce) and caramel coloring (unless it's a blanco, of course). This came from a distillery that doesn't make mixtos though. Then it's all watered down with distilled water to bring it down to a legal proof.

7. thewallychamp

thewallychamp Senior member

I think this weekend I might pick up a bottle - all I know is 100% agave.. and I think I have a tendency towards el reposado.

Any recommendations regarding some widely available but affordable (read: cheap) stuff that I might keep an eye out for?

8. Piobaire

^ Had a Casadores flight last Friday. It was part of a mistake [​IMG]

9. ama

ama Senior member

I think this weekend I might pick up a bottle - all I know is 100% agave.. and I think I have a tendency towards el reposado.

Any recommendations regarding some widely available but affordable (read: cheap) stuff that I might keep an eye out for?

Milagro Repesado

10. Piobaire

Milagro Repesado

The regular Milagro line though, not the premium one in the fancy bottle. That one is about $70.

11. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

El Jimador is pretty good for being relatively cheap ($20-22 for 750ml usually) but are there any other good below $20 tequilas out there are at least below $25? Also, do you guys have any good drink recipes for tequila? Maybe a killer margarita recipe or something a bit different? Thanks
    Stick with the original recipe for a margarita. Tastes great, but be careful, they can catch up to you quickly. 2 parts tequila 1 part Cointreau 1 part fresh lime juice I personally think Milagro Silver tastes like ass and is a complete disappointment for the price. Cabo Wabo is my go to.

12. ama

ama Senior member

The regular Milagro line though, not the premium one in the fancy bottle. That one is about $70.

right

13. rmspawn

rmspawn Senior member

One of my favorites is Chinaco Añejo
    As far as Mezcals go, I love Del Maguey - Minero or Crema de Mezcal

14. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is very true. I get the same feeling from drinking tequila.

I love the tequila buzz.
    Not like what I normally experience from run-of-the-mill alcohols.

More "druggy" than boozy.

15. zhouyu

zhouyu Senior member