Tenth Anniversary Gift Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Jan 23, 2010.

1. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Cats are the gift that keeps on giving. A nice Burmese or Scottish fold...

My tastes are small-timer, but if I could price no object/anniversary gift:
    Breguet or Leroy watch
    Goyard luggage
    Hermes carbon fibre luggage
    Moar Seaman Schepps cufflinks -- maybe a dress set?
    Custom links from Rosset et Gaulejac

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Cats are the gift that keeps on giving. A nice Burmese or Scottish fold...
    Cats go badly with dogs who have bulging eyes. [​IMG]

3. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I am looking for a thing, because she is looking to get me a thing, not a vacation or experience (though the Masters trip piques my interest) mainly because I am taking us on a trip similar for our anniversary similar to some of those mentioned.

I like the shotgun idea, though I hate guns.

Staying with the golf theme, what about lessons with Leadbetter or someone like that.

4. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I like the shotgun idea, though I hate guns.

There's nothing more beautiful than an object relentlessly refined for a single purpose. You could get a Beretta. It would fit perfectly in your Rubinacci-based wardrobe. It's even good company for a deerstalker.

5. itsstillmatt

My tastes are small-timer, but if I could price no object/anniversary gift:

I should have been more clear. Price no object was more in relation to those things generally discussed on the forum, not the entire world of possible gifts. Still, a dress set is a nice idea.

6. Cornellian

Cornellian Senior member

What about this? But seriously, maybe something for your home... A sauna? I really like the idea of a watch, but you're not into that. A new bespoke briefcase? That would be long-lasting and very personal...

7. George

George Senior member

If you can't think of something or don't need anything, ask your wife to donate a cash equivalent to a charity of your choice. That's what my mother used to do on my late father's birthday, he'd pick something and she'd donate the cash equivalent to a local good cause, as he didn't need anything.

8. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe an art object that you've been admiring? A sculpture or some cool ceramic/pottery. I also like some those vintage Hermes desk sets. I'm not sure why you'd have her get you clothing - I assume in that realm you buy for yourself most all that you desire.

From the previous suggestions, I like the Masters and the shotgun best. I've never even held a loaded gun but they are really fucking cool looking, as far as objects go.

9. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Singed copy of The Road to Serfdom (no idea if such a thing is available).

10. itsstillmatt

11. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

As I went to sleep last night, the idea mentioned above of a charitable gift came to mind. I was thinking of Haiti. But when I woke up this morning, I though about an investment in a business you believe could do the work of a charity, only better. Maybe microloans. I like Baron's idea of an art object. Maybe that squirrel on the wall? (semi-[​IMG]) If it has to be shoes or clothes, how about the Charvet shirts you're itching for. Or better yet (for me) you could try several Bay Area tailors, test them out, and review them on Styleforum (a service to the community). For shoes, you could try the student of Marcell who will soon be ready to take orders (support a new craftsperson and the local economy). I've also been digging these Leathersoul special, unlined, flex-sole Aldens, and as you said, if you had it to do over again, you might go all in Alden. Edit: woah, that signed Hayek may be unbeatable.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Since Poo already knows that someone on my staff drives one of these, I think he deems it dÃ[​IMG]classÃ[​IMG]. - B
    ah, now this is a problem. can't have the same thing as the hired help. there's the Bugatti Veyron, but that might be a tad noveau riche so i guess that leaves the Aston Martin Lagonda [​IMG]

13. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

There's nothing more beautiful than an object relentlessly refined for a single purpose. You could get a Beretta. It would fit perfectly in your Rubinacci-based wardrobe. It's even good company for a deerstalker.

Beretta? Brutha, please.

- B

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

The blurb from the Fabbri site has a wonderful SF feel to it:

"Hand made" or "Machine Made" is not necessarily something good or a quality assurance.
    Men using his skill and fantasy to drive hands and machines together are the best and only instruments available to seek perfection.

The ancient artisan tradition and the most modern technology can be melted together in a beautiful shotgun.

Our dream is trying to make the best looking and reliable "shooting machine" possible today.
    Every single part of the shotgun is designed and produced in house, from the smallest screw to the barrels, actions and everything else, using only the very best materials available today, optimized by specific vacuum heat-treatments.

- B

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Beretta? Brutha, please.
    You're right, a Fabbri would be far more iGent than a Beretta, as a Rubinacci is to a Kiton.