• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tennis games being fixed, the problem being swept under the rug

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many people here follow tennis.

Absolutely brutal expose on BBC Sport right now about it: http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/35319202

They won't list too any of the players, I imagine because of UK libel laws which are absolutely ridiculous. But this makes FIFA look like a respectable organization.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been playing my whole life (almost … started when I was 7). This story is not going away… I'm sure some players are going to get zapped. As one commentator put it …"if you wanted to create the perfect sport for betting and match fixing you'd have a real problem doing so as it's already been done… tennis".

I'm half responding just for the sake of commenting that I can't believe there are practically zero tennis players on this forum. No dedicated thread or current discussion. There's gotta be some rich, yuppie assholes in here somewhere right?

And yes I'm watching the Australian Open right now. Nishikori v. the Jerkoff … they're both sponsored by and wear Uniqlo.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been playing my whole life (almost … started when I was 7). This story is not going away… I'm sure some players are going to get zapped. As one commentator put it …"if you wanted to create the perfect sport for betting and match fixing you'd have a real problem doing so as it's already been done… tennis".

I'm half responding just for the sake of commenting that I can't believe there are practically zero tennis players on this forum. No dedicated thread or current discussion. There's gotta be some rich, yuppie assholes in here somewhere right?

And yes I'm watching the Australian Open right now. Nishikori v. the Jerkoff … they're both sponsored by and wear Uniqlo.

Yeah, I was a strong high school player, took a break and got into MMA and getting big for the 20s-30s, now thinking long term I might need some sports that aren't as brutal for old age ;)

Massive doping, especially on the women's tour, will be the next thing to pop and further ruin tennis's reputation. The fact that they ignored Capriati when she was getting more gorilla than human tells you that the ATP/WTA has its head in the sand. They just hope to keep the gravy train rolling. I saw an awesome article on Nadal and how his victory schedule followed most of the doping plans (he would win when he was doping, lose when he wasn't).

The real fix is to reign in the technology. As the rackets got better, the men's game got a lot less interesting to watch - the golden age ended. Then we had steroids pop up in womens tennis that made the games look roughly similar to the 1970s men's games, and all of sudden women's tennis became more interesting.

Anyway, I was sort of surprised that nobody responded, but, then I thought, how many SF members really had upper middle class or above upbringings, how many like to pretend they did, etc. A lot of the tennis players I play with are very trad types as well, more Ask Andy than SF.

I haven't tried any of the Uniqlo tennis wear - the logo is just too prominent. It was interesting to see that Boast was revived though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics