• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tender Oak bark tanned belt.

engar

Reaction score
Terry Dear belts are awesome. I didn´t realize he make Quercus on mahogany leather uhmmmm but maybe 6 mm are too much.

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by esswhykay
It looks like it would dig into your waist though.

no waist digging here
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by whatever123
buckles nice but leather looks difficult to wear. a lot of these "tanneries" are make these thick ass meat belts and a lot of them look weird imo. i would wear the buckle but put it on one of my somet belt.

leather is actually quite nice imo. thickness is only a tad more than a quarter of an inch.

mikecch

Reaction score
^ I don't find 6 mm leather hard to wear at all. This English oak-bark tanned leather, if anything like it's Quercus cousin, should become very flexible a month or so down the track. Baker's is one of the finest makers of veg. tanned leather in the world...in terms of their unfinished saddle leather, not many others in the world can compare. See how it's made here: http://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/20...ing-at-bakers/
Originally Posted by engar
Terry Dear belts are awesome. I didn´t realize he make Quercus on mahogany leather uhmmmm but maybe 6 mm are too much.
It's the same Quercus leather, Terry just hand-dyes it. Could have it in lots of colours.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikecch
^ I don't find 6 mm leather hard to wear at all.
i would tend to agree with you when wearing thick selvage denim ... but they dont work as well with your margiela/dvn chinos.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esswhykay
It looks like it would dig into your waist though.

I have that belt, and the last time I wore it, the curly-Q part of the buckle did dig into my belly. I've lost about 10 pounds since, though, so maybe it will be a different story the next time I wear it. I do really like the look of the buckle, though.

Originally Posted by whatever123
i would tend to agree with you when wearing thick selvage denim ... but they dont work as well with your margiela/dvn chinos.

I agree, though realistically speaking, the thickness is less of an issue than just the width of the belt with most of the dressier pants that I've had. Most of their belt loops won't accommodate a 1 1/2" wide belt of any thickness, let alone one that is 6 mm thick.

It goes great with denim, though.

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
I have that belt, and the last time I wore it, the curly-Q part of the buckle did dig into my belly. I've lost about 10 pounds since, though, so maybe it will be a different story the next time I wear it. I do really like the look of the buckle, though.

I agree, though realistically speaking, the thickness is less of an issue than just the width of the belt with most of the dressier pants that I've had. Most of their belt loops won't accommodate a 1 1/2" wide belt of any thickness, let alone one that is 6 mm thick.

It goes great with denim, though.

ha gotta lose that belly fat bro.

belt is going good. fish smell is almost gone now. no more bad first impressions lol.

alexanduh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikecch
^ Fish smell is a good sign dude...it means the leather was hand-finished, not mass liquored!

try explaining that to everyone else sitting near you in the lecture hall lol

mikecch

Reaction score
^? Haha.

Sometimes I go to work smelling like fish/emu/horse/cattle oil.
It goes away within a few days, not a huge problem - I usually let new belts hang for a couple of days after first oiling before I start wearing them.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always liked Tender's belts. The leather looks so beefy and dense, and I'm impressed with what Bill went through to produce the buckles. If you want to see the production step by step (along with how they dye all of their garments) visit the Tender thread on sufu. It's a great read.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads