Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): SPRING-SUMMER EDITION

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Six, Jul 17, 2016.

1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've been wondering about green linen ties, @Claghorn . I like them in principle, but wonder whether they will be used that often. I would have thought to try it with the brown jacket that you have on (or pairing that jacket with the green knit which I also own but is a bit darker in color). The Panta is a bit brighter than the green knit, so perhaps something I would reach for more often in the summer.

Do you have pics of the brown jacket with the green ties?

@sprout2 so I own one tie you like? I'll chalk that up to a victory for today. :)

2. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

[​IMG]

3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Some nice stuff here especially from Mr Six, although I also want Tweedy Prof's pocket squares.

I would contribute except that I can't pretend that I wear jacket and tie in summer any more, given the choice. On the occasions I have to go to conferences, I pack my two fresco blazer suits (RAF blue and SF special tobacco brown), 2 cotton Post-Imperial ties (green with blue circles, and burgundy with blue rectangles) and sqaures, and maybe a couple of either forest green, Klein blue and black grenadines (depending on the formality of possible events), a couple of pairs of chinos (which can be worn with blazer suit tops) and perhaps one other jacket (usually an unstructured cream one). So that's 5 + 2 (or 3) max.

That's it. I don't need anything else in summer. It's 30 degrees C here (+) most of the time, worse if I am in Tokyo. I go into the the university as little as possible because no-one is there, and when I do, I'm the same as I am at home, in SW&D shorts and lightweight shirts, and on really hot days, the most flowing, airy, Japanese stuff (see recent SW&D WAYWT for an example). Still interesting, but not unecessarily hot or constricting. As someone very wise once said, any fool can be uncomfortable...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

4. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Thanks, @FlyingMonkey ! Given your post, I actually think it would be great to see the two combinations that you describe, particularly with the Post Imperial ties. How to travel light and stay comfortable tastefully in the summer seems squarely in this thread's wheelhouse. So visual accompaniment, please!

@emptym That's great! Looks super comfortable and relaxed but also just formal enough to go almost anywhere. And that hopsack Formosa. Dude! That thing is gorgeous.

@gazman70k So glad you could participate. That top combo is my favorite. Everything is basically CBD, but the tie lets you know it's summer without yelling about it. And the suit is fantastic.

@poorsod Is that the Brisa? I really like that fabric. How do you find it? I keep looking for something similar. Maybe I just need to go on LL and see if anyone has a suit length they want to unburden themselves of.

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

A number of other pictures (I uploaded what I had on my phone. I went back and pulled a few stored on SF, including a number of green ties (and additional S/S jackets not included)

The green linen neat from Brooks Brothers
    [​IMG]

The green knit with that brown jacket, which I hesitate to really call an S/S jacket given the color.
    [​IMG]

Another of the raw silk Conrad Wu, a tie I also hesitate to really consider S/S despite the fabric due to the color
    [​IMG]

I eliminated this olive knit as a S/S tie after taking a picture. I think this is a pretty good example of where fabric is trumped by color in terms of seasonality (both for the jacket and tie)
    [​IMG]

Another green tie, not one of my ten (only because this Henry Carter doesn't knot as well as the solid Kent Wang of the same color) and a linen jacket
    [​IMG]

Drakes shantung, wool linen jacket (well, blazersuit)
    [​IMG]

The green linen again with the brown jacket, as requested.

[​IMG]

Silk linen from Henry carter
    [​IMG]

Henry Carter neat, wool-linen blazersuit
    [​IMG]

6. FlyingMonkey

Hmm... here's some old pictures I dug out. Apologies for poor quality.

RAF blue fresco (bespoke from Cad & the Dandy) w/ green Post-Imperial tie.
    [​IMG]

The other Post-Imperial tie I mentioned. I have other some others (and squares), but these two remain my favourites. I love @Tirailleur1 's stuff)
    [​IMG]

Cream Ring Jacket, plus PRL chinos, casual shirt, no tie. (Hey, it's a proper photo!)
    [​IMG]

Oh, and I lied. There is one other suit I sometimes wear in summer. This cotton Isaia number... worn here with previously mentioned Conrad Wu International Klein Blue grenadine - not for the faint-hearted.
    [​IMG]

But I have actually come to love the tobacco fresco suit + pale blue or white shirt + black grenadine + black Chelsea boots combination probably more than anything else. That's become my default 'afternoon presentation followed by evening reception' outfit. No picture unfortunately.

7. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

It is the LL RAF blue Piuma. I subscribed.

8. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

^ Ambiguous question on my part. How do you like the Piuma?

9. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

My favorite of a bunch of great fits. Lots of brown variations (not surprisingly) but all playing well off each other in a way that you don't feel like it's too brown.

10. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Lots of good stuff, but this really enjoyable to me. The PI tie can't be ignored, but everything else is sedate, and the tie is unusual and has enough whimsy that it feels approachable rather than out-of-place or jarring, if that makes sense.

11. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Oh. I read the question another way. :embar:

Compared to Minnis fresco, they both wear similarly cool. The Piuma is softer and more luxurious feeling. The Piuma also stretches a bit - its most noticeable when I put my hands in my pockets. The fresco is coarser feeling, no stretch and easily keeps the pant crease.

12. TweedyProf

Thanks everyone for posting, and @Mr. Six for getting this thread moving. The thread is heating up like the transition from Spring to Summer.

@FlyingMonkey Thanks for those thoughts and pics. Feel free to post ten ties to add to the shots above. Really nice to have your contributions (btw: the Kimber squares I posted are lovely and highly recommended, especially the Firenze on the right...you might take a look at some lovely pictures of them at the Hanger Project...ahem).

Just to pick up on @Claghorn and colors for summer (jackets and ties).

[​IMG]

So, I think that the Wu tie is very summery (surely tan), and I like the overall look (except for the longer back blade!).

The jacket, being taupe (brown/grey) raises the question more firmly. It's light but desaturated in color, so in another sense not bright. Maybe the better way to put it is that it's not warm in color and a warmer light brown would be ideal. But I think it seems wearable in the summer even if another brown might feel more summery. When I have time, I'll try to find some examples of what I mean. Tobacco linen will be a nice thing to juxtapose here.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

13. FlyingMonkey

Finally, someone who really understands me... <sobs> [​IMG]
    Ok, here you go. I was trying to stay off the forum, but feel like I'm being dragged back in...

5 grenadines / knits - L-R: Corneliani, Drakes, Conrad Wu, anonymous, Exquisite Trimmings
    [​IMG]

And 5 cotton ties - L-R: PRL(x2), Conrad Wu, Post-Imperial (x2)
    [​IMG]

Bonus! 2 cotton bow-ties, Monitaly and anonymous 60s vintage:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

14. TweedyProf

@FlyingMonkey

You have a nice summer color palette in your ties. I shy away from pastels, but pink and light blue in the two that you have do not kid about summer (also @gazman70k ).

15. TweedyProf