• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): Fall-Winter Edition

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
10 Seasonal Ties, 5 Odd Jackets (maybe a suit) and their Combinations

Challenge: Imagine a basic, flexible and tasteful wardrobe of 10 ties, 5 jackets (squares are wildcards).

To kick things off will be members who have influenced and taught me in my first year at Style Forum. I thought I would ask them to set the tone, but down the road, the thread will be open to all members of SF.

Feel free to ask questions, but critical posts are directed to the Classic Menswear Lounge:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/428478/classic-menswear-lounge

Roughly what you'll see here:

1. Photos of suggested ties.
2. At least five fit pics featuring a different coat and a tie from #1.

Goal: a large set of tasteful, well put together fits, using different patterns, textures and colors for inspiration and reflection. Click on gallery, "view all".

We'll look for folks in different contexts to give a broad view of combinations, beginning with F/W (October-March).
Claghorn
EFV
gdl203
UrbanComposition
kulata
emptym
gazman70k
tchoy
Mr. Six
sugarbutch
unbelragazzo
poorsod
Cleav
Aportnoy
Manolo

Last edited by a moderator:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fok has suggested I move things up so that it's a bit more tidy, and I think that's a good idea, so...

Ok, 10 fall/winter ties for me for genuine fall/winters (snow, bluster, sleet, rain, cold). Sorry for crappy indoor shots.

1. Solids or near solids

Perhaps the most versatile, can take any manner of patterns. For me, given my patterned jackets, these can provide a visual anchor, stabilizing the energy inherent in, say, a shepherd's check or guncheck. My choices: blue, brown, green and red. Simple but the interest is in texture or variegation

Ok, imagine the burgundy as resolving to a solid at a distance for sake of argument (it will be for old hands a suit tie, but still...). The grenadine has the advantage of being a coarse weave (a knit would be fine too). And yes, the brown is a herringbone so...

2. Herringbone

Easy to wear with solid jackets to introduce some visual detail but also with other patterned jackets, depending on scale. Houndstooth and basketweave provide other salient options. Smaller scale fades into solids so has the same utility (see brown above).

One of these much more rustic than the other.

3. Stripes

Different ground for the stripes here. Blue and brown base for versatility. The brown is my most recent pick-up (please notice the rust flecks in the base).

4. Glenplaid

Of all the patterns, I find these to be the easiest to wear (for me, easier than checks like gunclub ties). I would like a blue/navy version but haven’t found the right one yet. In colors such as brown or saturated blues, and/or with stronger patterns, tie pushes away from strong association with weddings (cf. a black and white version in wool).

This is a nice light brown one (see fit pic below).

5. Medallion Challis

Medallions provide a nice change from the more staid options above.

6. Madder

Tweed and madder? Of course.

The madder is on the left, challis on the right (the challis has a dark blue base).

Ok, 10 ties. Fit pics next

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm an academic at a research institution in the NE, teach some, mostly research. True four season wardrobe though with weather changes, who knows? [If you're interested in more about the academic context and my attempts to navigate it sartorially, see the interview here: http://www.keikari.com/english/interview-with-tweedyprof/ ].

Jackets are all RTW (unlike some of the bespoke examples you'll see soon from others). They are bought opportunistically, given a meager academic budget, but with an eye towards versatility.

1. Navy flannel blazer
2. Brown blazer
3. Brown/cream shepherd's check
4. Navy/slate blue gunclub with rust overcheck
5. Moss green (nori) plaid with red overcheck.

Sorry the pics are not of the highest quality. But these are representative of pairings and how I dress for work in the Ivory Tower. At some point, I hope to have other academics in the thread too (@emptym and @unbelragazzo will add their perspectives too).

1. Striped tie with Shepherd's Check

2. Brown Glenplaid with Navy Blazer

3. Madder with brown blazer

4. Brown solid (faint HB) with Gunclub

5. Copper HB with Green Plaid (hard to get the green color of jacket, but "nori" isn't a bad term, thanks @Mr. Six )

Two more:

Edit: @dieworkwear has mentioned textural variety and I agree my collection is rather wooly. For fabric/texture variation, I'd probably substitute a thick silk navy HB for the navy grenadine and add another madder, but I don't mind the overdose on wool.

Last edited:

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a fantastic reference thread. Subscribed!

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could have invited Manton and called the thread "The Emperor's New Clothes".

flvinny521

Reaction score
In for sure.

Bowball

Reaction score
Definitely in for this. Been thinking a bit about what a 5 jacket wardrobe would look like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads