1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): Fall-Winter Edition

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TweedyProf, Feb 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

@kulata

Really nice, as I expected. I have to rethink my ambivalence to grey solid ties. Well done.

Tho: why don't the photos show up in the gallery?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

3. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

I must have blocked it from the gallery when I posted it. Ooops. Maybe the mods can fix that.

That is actually bottle green. Bad light

4. TweedyProf

Ah I like the idea of green better

@claghorn @murlsquirl any fix for putting pics in gallery?

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

OK, here goes. I took the assignment to be the five jackets and ten ties that I would keep if I had to give away all others. If you ask me a week from now my answer would probably be different and if you ask me a year from now it almost certainly will be. But this is how I felt today.

So here's a pic of five jackets:

[​IMG]

From L to R: Blue tweed; Green donegal; Brown herringbone; Midnight velvet; Light brown cashmere

The midnight velvet is probably the one that's most different from others' selections, but it's the one I'm most sure of. I really like having a jacket specifically for evening. This one has peak lapels and jetted pockets (i.e., no flaps). I usually wear it with a white shirt (some might call it perineal) and no tie. But for a fancier occasion I might wear a midnight or black bow tie. I don't think I would ever wear it with a long tie.

So, to the ties then:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy pictures. But the top row is knits and wools, the bottom row silks. I don't really like stripes that much, and the stripes I like are usually big, like the brown tie in the bottom row. Most of my jacket patterns are big checks, and to my eye thin stripes look puny next to them. The grey and caramel wool on top is an exception in that it's a smaller stripe but I like the colors a lot, so I wear it. Usually with the brown herringbone coat. But mostly with F/W SCs I like knits, fuzzy wools, or madders with big prints, maybe bordering on obnoxious.

A few pics of items together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to @TweedyProf for getting this thread going. It's an honor to be in such exalted company.

6. TweedyProf

This has been a very good day for this thread. Thanks @unbelragazzo and @kulata

Pulling a few of Kulata's pics from his Tumblr, spoilered here, but should appear in the gallery. Will try to fix the others later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Distinguished Member

So good.

8. TweedyProf

@unbelragazzo

I'm curious about the fabric of the Steed in the last shot (1 and 5 are Steed)?

Update

We're having a slow roll out which is fine, enjoyable to have posts trickle in. European absence is glaring, but that will be remedied. In the meantime, to fill the gaps, I have asked a couple of additional posters who I'll announce soon.

I'm going to invite any of the previous posters who have an interest in doing suits to go ahead and do so if they wish (just flag this in your additional posts). Doing this because I'm going to relax the requirement of 5 SCs when necessary to bring in those who focus more on suits and who would provide valuable insight (as @poorsod did and who is warmly invited to add more at his leisure).

Also, if current posters want to add information, details, etc., again you are most welcome to.

9. unbelragazzo

5 is actually an old Attolini. The fabric is cashmere, maybe 16 oz or so - the group shot and last pic are represent the color best. The other pic is too yellow. I got the jacket off eBay about 5 years ago now. I wish I could find more of this fabric, since I love it and this jacket may not have the much more life left in it. The blue tweed is Steed, as is the brown herringbone. The green donegal is Ciro Zizolfi. The midnight velvet is Napolisumisura.

10. TweedyProf

Would love to see a shot of the green at some point.

11. unbelragazzo

here's one:

12. poorsod

poorsod Distinguished Member

When are you going to write up Zizolfi? He's the heir to Ciro Palermo right?

For those of you interested, here is a write up of Palermo

http://dieworkwear.com/post/138616973304/ciro-palermo-omast

Anyway, here is the rest of my contribution

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. unbelragazzo

Correct. I did a big writeup of tailors in Naples, but it lies with @Synthese now

14. TweedyProf

Thanks @poorsod (no more pestering from me!).

I realize now it would be helpful to see more full length shots given the different tailoring examples. Some differences are apparent from the close-ups but seeing more would be of interest. Ah well, I'm sure that thread has been done at some point.

[​IMG]

15. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Distinguished Member