• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): Fall-Winter Edition

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@WillingToLearn

Nice ties! I like your choices. Interesting on that Vanda repp. I have a similar fabric from Drake's that's blue with gold/green in the stripe:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BblyHp0AeCa/?taken-by=tweedyprof

Sorry, does anyone know how to post IG photos rather thank linking?

I think I've invited Gerald (@gshen) to post to this thread in the past. Honestly, it would be great to have his thoughts about some times from the last six months that were on the Vanda website (even if some are sold out).

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's an invitation to all who want to go over the useful exercise to post or to update. Original posters include:

@Claghorn
@EFV
@UrbanComposition
@kulata
@emptym
@gazman70k
@tchoy (who is in the beginning of summer, of course)
@Mr. Six
@sugarbutch
@unbelragazzo
@poorsod
@Cleav
@aportnoy
@Manolo

But should not be restricted to them (there were another round of invitations, but I'm on the front page and I know there were others...as you know who you are, please also post). I invite the above to also invite others.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don’t know about jackets, but here are 10 winter ties.

F90605CF-BB2D-4C0F-AF40-F60660A492C5.jpeg
5365728D-A97F-47C0-ABA7-A0E07EFD5670.jpeg
25F705B2-151A-4141-83EB-184AB67C1887.jpeg

C1C30F96-4B98-4439-878F-E3A524F793C8.jpeg

1. Henry Carter, Hober, Calabrese, YHNT
2. Hober, Henry Carter
3. Calabrese, Panta
4. Hober, Brooks Brothers

Last edited:

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love that rust calabrese(?) knit in the first pic

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Epicure

Reaction score
OK, slow morning. Here are my 10 (11) ties as well as some I like and wear regularly but didn't make the top 10, I should have photoed the madder above, as it was in the "top rejects" list for sure. I also did not include 3-4 small pattern neats that I really only wear with suits, although I did include the olive which i love, even though it ties a crappy knot and I wear it with suits and SCs because I love it. I should have a thicker lining put in.

Solids (left to right)
Vanda - Burnt Orange Slubs - must have a burnt orange tie in the mix - see my reject list - picking one was tough
Vanda - Espresso herringbone
Cappelli - green wool/cashmere
Cappelli - deep navy herringbone
Hober - Burgundy & Midnight Blue Cashmere/Silk Grenadine Grossa

View attachment 881084

Patterns
OK - i have 6 here, if you put a gun to my head to make 10, I'd cut the green madder, but it has an awesome Fall color scheme, so I am jamming an extra in. I'd see the argument for cutting the olive neat too, especially since it ties a poor knot, but i love it..

Vanda - Green-Mustard Houndstooth
Vanda - Brown-Green Stripes in Wool Silk
Cappelli - Burgundy madder
Vanda - Olive neat
Cappelli - green madder
Cappelli - blue challis
View attachment 881086

All together

View attachment 881088

Rejects
Cappelli - burgundy wool
Cappelli - green donegal wool
TYT - Olive / burgundy stripe grenadine
Isaia - burnt orange and brown dot silk
Cappelli - orange neat - sorta violated my rule here in showing it, this is a suit-only tie for me
TYT - block strip grenadine
Cappelli - blue madder (see Mr. Six above)

View attachment 881089

I definitely look forward to seeing your pairings with the Vanda Brown-Green Stripes in Wool Silk, as I also own this tie. I purchased it coming out of the southern hemisphere winter, so have only worn it a few times to date. That said, I've tried it on with most of my winter jackets, and it seems to complement them all very well. Some better than others of course. It's already one of my favourite ties.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realized after I posted I have a problem with that tie and the 5 jackets I am going to pick. The SC I wear it with most often is not in the 5 and I don't think it works with the green I will use. Definitely works with jacket 1, but it may be a bit of a challenge with what i envision to be the others.

Epicure

Reaction score
I realized after I posted I have a problem with that tie and the 5 jackets I am going to pick. The SC I wear it with most often is not in the 5 and I don't think it works with the green I will use. Definitely works with jacket 1, but it may be a bit of a challenge with what i envision to be the others.
What a shame! Oh well.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure I've gotten more fall/winter ties since then, but I'll check...

Yes, but I think you've acquired a few jackets, no?

I'll post next weekend.

Kulata! Great to hear from you. Looking forward to it.

I intended to participate last year and simply didn't dedicate the time needed. I will this year.

Please do.

@lordsuperb (and again, among others) hope you will post as well. Glad to see life come to this thread again. I'm struck down with pneumonia so will be slow posting, but will redo my 10 ties in a few days.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't updated my original post but have acquired several fall/winter ties and a couple of jackets since. Will update when I can find some time.

@WillingToLearn great tie selection. That orange neat Cappelli would look great with sportcoats as well as suits IMHO. I've never minded neats with suits as long as the neats aren't too small or the colors too formal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads