1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): Fall-Winter Edition

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TweedyProf, Feb 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Also: thanks to all the contributors. We've had over 10,000 views in the first month.

Obviously less posts, but this is a picture thread more than discussion thread.

1 person likes this.
  2. TweedyProf

One note: I'm going to squeeze in a few final posters hopefully this week.

So, the general contributions portion from the community might be delayed a tad.

Apologies for that. If you are interested in posting, then please again wait for the announcement, which I'll post in various venues (WAYWRN, GNAT etc.).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Vurrnice, Erik. Particularly like the ties.

4. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

It's time to open this thread up to everyone else.

2 people like this.
  5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

@Manolo's green knit seems a little out of place F/W

6. TweedyProf

Too bright green for you?

Maybe we can just ask the question more generally: how bright would you go with ties in f/w?

A light blue might seem very spring/summer focusing just on color, leaving texture, material aside. I have been thinking about how our choices would be different if we lived in sweltering environments, but wanted to honor the seasons. Not enough posters yet from such contexts.

1 person likes this.
  7. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Even if all the ties are not dimpled? [​IMG]

8. Manolo

Manolo Well-Known Member

I see your point. I happened to catch some sun this day and the knit tie appears brighter and lighter than it actually is.

9. TweedyProf

Ok, so a set of posters who've made a similar journey as I, certainly as part of the GNAT thread, will add their thoughts and shots in the next few days.

@heldentenor
    @Spandexter
    @Newcomer
    @Academic2
    @jcmeyer
    @SeaJen
    @archibaldleach
    @Coxsackie (when he finishes traveling)

I hope @Leaves , @gdl203 and @gazman70k will update their earlier posts.

Any initial poster again is welcome to add etc.

A few additional calls have gone out, and I'll update as necessary.

It will soon enough.

1 person likes this.
  10. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

Thanks for the invite TweedyProf.

Melbourne has a fairly temperate climate with the summers hotter (low 40's c) than the winters are cooler (low teens c) and as a result my fall/winter weight clothing is fairly limited. Also, given my job is reasonably conservative and generally requires me to wear a suit 80% of time, finding the 10 ties and 5 jackets was a bit of a challenge. Some of these ties might only see daylight 3 or 4 times a year but it doesn't mean I love them any less than any of the others.

Ties

[​IMG]

From left to right

1. Henry Carter bi-colour knit
    2. Sam Hober olive grenadine
    3. Vanda brown neat
    4. Panta rust neat
    5. Henry Carter wool check
    6. Conrad Wu brown neat/madder
    7. Henry Carter wool stripe
    8. Drakes blue paisley
    9. Sam Hober blue grenadine
    10. Drakes grey wool

Jackets

It's windy where I work which adds a chill factor to the weather that let's me enjoy breaking out some flannel and cashmere blends.

1. Suit Supply blue flannel
    2. Boglioli brown wool/cashmere
    3. Isaia blue wool/cashmere heavy hopsac
    4. Suit Supply brown wool cashmere check
    5. Epaulet blue flannel check

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17 people like this.
  11. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Thanks, @TweedyProf , for inviting me to contribute. You've given me the perfect opportunity to test out my new camera--apologies for the variations in exposure, as both my partner and myself are getting used to the idiosyncracies of its metering.

The core of my wardrobe is fall/winter garb, both since I have occasion to wear ties most often from September-May and because I live in the coldest major city in the continental United States. In terms of personal taste, I love earthy browns and greens in both my ties and jackets. I employ garza grossa grenadines the way many of the previous posters employ knit ties--to incorporate a solid but textured element into otherwise "busy" ensembles. The rest of my ties include some wool solids and block stripes, but my true loves are wool and silk neats.

My ten ties for fall/winter thus include:

Grenadines: burgundy Shibumi silk, green Bigi wool/silk, brown Exquisite Trimmings silk
    [​IMG]

Neats: brown Panta silk, rust/orange Drake's wool, green Eidos wool, blue Panta silk
    [​IMG]

Wool solids and block stripes: brown Panta cashmere, red/navy Henry Carter block stripe, navy Calabrese wool/silk
    [​IMG]

For jackets, I like tweeds and flannels in medium-heavy weights. "Controls" in each photo are a Kamakura oxford shirt and Rota flannel trousers.

WW Chan in Brown Porter & Harding herringbone (part of a suit but I wear it both as suit and as an odd jacket):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brown Ring Jacket in Abraham Moon shetland tweed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Green Canali wool/cashmere:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Navy Samuelsohn for Epaulet Donegal wool:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brown Eidos wool/cashmere Prince of Wales check:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    10 people like this.
  12. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Good stuff, guys. The picture quality makes me ashamed to post this bad pic of the till-now-missing velvet jacket and striped tie. Best I could do, though, unfortunately. Need to pull my pants up a bit too.
    [​IMG]
    If you want, TweedyProf, I could edit my first post here to combine all the shots I'll be adding eventually.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    4 people like this.
  13. TweedyProf

Thanks Helden and Spandexter for your contributions, Emptym for further additions (and yes, please collate if you wish--i.e. yes, do put them in one of your posts, perhaps this one, so that one can see them all if reading through the thread).

14. TweedyProf

Last request as curation period draws to a close:

Those of you who have posted already...to open up the thread a bit more for discussion, I'm inviting comments on fits that you found striking in a positive way.

For example:

Quote a fit of another's if

• It reemphasized to you why certain things work
    • It suggested a pairing you wouldn't have thought would work, but it does
    • It gave you an idea, made a cloth/pattern/texture particularly/more attractive
    • Etc.

Have a look through the gallery and pick as many as you want. Commentary welcome. Don't feel the need to do one big post. Adding comments as we go is great.

15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Many thanks for the kind invitation Tweedy Prof. I'll be happy to contribute and will post this week.

Cheers,

Ac

16. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

San Francisco seasons don't tend to stick to their prescribed months; you can get all four of them in the span of a week. So although there are some traditionally spring/summer fabrics mixed in here, this does represent what I wear from October - March as Tweedy requested. Colors are a bit more on the F/W side of things even if all of the fabrics aren't, and since I don't even own five odd jackets there's a plain-ol' suit mixed in there too.

Drake's Donegal Herringbone
    [​IMG]

Erredieci Wool Block Stripes
    [​IMG]

Drake's Wool Stripes
    [​IMG]

Dunhill London Wool Repp
    [​IMG]

Vanda Donegal Solid
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Panta Cotton/Silk Neat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unknown Wool Plaid
    [​IMG]

Peer Gordon Silk Neat
    [​IMG]

Cheated here and added another suit since I only wear this tie with suits.[​IMG]

Peter Millar Silk/Linen Medallion
    [​IMG]

Exquisite Trimmings Shantung Repp
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wool/Silk Pocketsquares
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Dumping pictures from phone, will edit and fill in text. Lighting never comes out well for me. Jackets are from my tailor and are as follows (ties are Hobers):

(1) Navy blazer made of Harrisons 13 ounce worsted flannel (paired with brown and dark red neats)
    (2) Brown herringbone tweed (paired with blue wool neat and olive green wool tie)
    (3) Blue (with a hint of grey) Donegal from Porter and Harding Thornproof (paired with brown cashmere and burgundy cashmere / grenadine)
    (4) Guncheck jacket from Porter and Harding Hartwist (paired with navy and burnt orange wool solids)
    (5) Dark green corduroy jacket from Holland and Sherry cotton book (paired with rust wool neat and burgundy pindot)

NB: Will be trying to get some better photos shortly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

As stated by Tweedy, I'm travelling right now with a limited wardrobe, and wouldn't be able to put together a definitive and consistently-photographed 10/5 collection for at least another three weeks. So I thought I would raid the archive instead and see what it spits out.

Winters are generally mild in Sydney; a little more bitey in Melbourne, which gives me a chance to wear some warmer jackets. Overall though, in the winter months a well-dressed Melbournian would probably be turned out in colours and textures more associated with the North American fall.

[​IMG]
    SC: Canali

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SC: Pal Zileri

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SC: SuitSupply

[​IMG]

Moving into the warmer months, I tend to employ simpler blocks, perhaps with more colour contrast. Even small splashes of colour will sparkle in the very direct Southern Hemisphere sunlight.

[​IMG]
    SC: Canali

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SC: vintage (colours more accurately represented below)

[​IMG]

As you can see, I like patterned jackets a lot. In fact I like patterns a lot. Only one solid (navy) jacket in this bunch, although the small-scale houndstooth of the Pal Z does tend to resolve to solid at a distance.

My SF participation has taught me to use solids more frequently; previously I don't think I owned a single solid tie. The above gallery features no less than four (if you include the slubby). Neats are over-represented here; I do own quite a few repps and have been pressing them into service more frequently of late.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    5 people like this.
  19. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

:inlove:

1 person likes this.
  20. TweedyProf

Quick bookkeeping. Have all invited posters posted? Please pm me if you haven't.