1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ten C : The Emperor's New Clothes

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by JohnnyLaw, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

The discussion on this thread always circles back to perceived vs. actual value of TenC. All I would say is that Ten C is fashion and Timberland is commodity.

You can mix and match high and low and it's all good. But it's not an apples to apples comparison. Almost any mass-produced garment will have better "quality" than a small, artisanal maker, of course, but to me fashion is about how a garment makes me feel as much as it is about the intrinsic "worth" of that garment. In other words, I expect my clothing to do double duty -- make me look good and make me feel good at the same time.

I would be happier wearing that Ten C than I would wearing that Timberland coat. Every day. So, for me, the question often comes down to: How much is my happiness worth? 600 euros over the life of a coat? Perhaps, perhaps not.

2. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Yeah I guess we did come a full circle :)
    At this time I'm just happy that there is another garment that uses an interesting fabric, fit is pretty spot on and is very well constructed.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

It's not that surprising that a mass-market line would copy a boutique line. That's how fashion works. When I talked to Paul Harvey last year about Ten C, he was really open about the fabric. It's from Japan and they had exclusive rights for about a year or two. After that, the mill could sell to anyone. The M-65 is probably the most standard and basic design in their range, so it's the one that's most likely to get copied. I agree with Peter1, I personally would prefer the Ten C version just because it's a niche fashion line (anyone who thought Ten C wasn't a fashion line is fooling themselves), but I'm glad there are more affordable options out there.

I also don't think the M-65 is representative of what makes Ten C great though. Nor is it about the fabric. The other pieces are much better at showing Pungetti and Harvey's design talents. And things like the deck parka and M-51 are less likely to be copied by someone like Timberland simply because they have less broad appeal. They're "weirder" in other words.

But sure, eventually someone will copy design elements from those pieces, and the fashion cycle moves on.

Anyway, the original idea -- a never changing capsule collection -- was nice, but proved unsustainable since stores constantly need new product. The company is moving into all sorts of areas right now, including knitwear. I think it's kind of nice, as a guy who admittedly likes to see new collections.

The two Ten C pieces I own continue to be some of my favorite outerwear. That some high-street brand has knocked something off doesn't really bother me.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    2 people like this.
  4. London

London Senior member

To Peter1, I don't necessarily believe that "almost any mass-produced garment will have better "quality" than a small, artisanal maker." I think the inverse is true. Once you become mass and scale, you're more likely cheap out on materials to squeeze additional margin because more than likely you have been acquired or taken on significant private equity and the people who put the money in your pocket are not doing it for charity.

5. AdRock

AdRock Active Member

@ceoceo what color is that M65 from Timberland?

I have a Olive Parka from Ten C and I really enjoy it but I would consider this Timberland M65 at its current price right now as a stop-gap until I can afford the real thing.

Also, I have the new Shearling liner for my parka and wanted to grab a hood liner as well. Does anyone have any experience or opinion on the difference between the Shearling liner and hood liner as separates vs. the one piece shearling liner+hood?

6. baptiste

baptiste Member

@ceoceo, have you tried to remove the timberland logo?

7. Deva

Deva Member

I have the hooded shearling liner and I wouldn't really recommend it, the hood kind of bulks up, and I rarely find myself in situations where its useful.

8. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

I didn't dare. Unfortunately the stitching is pretty sturdy and would leave some nasty scar on the fabric if I tried cutting thread by thread. That's what I get for being a cheap ass huh? Nice jacket still.

@AdRock: Its a taupe tone, same as the taupe TEN C offers- Im guessing its because the same mill that provides fabric for TEN C provides Timbs.

-------
    ps. I initially liked the articuated elbows on the Timbs field jacket since it would prevent ballooning in the elbows, but I found out that such detail is also responsible for uneven stacks. 一長一短, I guess, but for a denim-like garment that is supposed to mold to your body one detail is more important than the other.
    I now agree, the amount of thought put into TEN C is incomparable to that of Timberlands jacket.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  9. AdRock

AdRock Active Member

Awesome, thanks for the feedback.

10. artronaut

artronaut New Member

@ Kazper,

is your parka still as loud and stiff? Today I have received my car coat and am wondering about It's sound and stiffness. I'm still thinking about returning it as I had expected something smoother ...

11. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

It will soften up over time... My old fishtail is pretty soft at this point.