• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ten best jeans

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy,Feb. 24 2005,16:38
Or I'll send the Triad after you, as Styleman insinuated once.
That was another really strange aspect of Styleman's postings on that thread. Â What is a member of the British upper class doing with Chinese gangsters?
Actually, he said "Traids" and we never established whether that meant something other than Triads, or was simply the product of the poor typing and spelling skills of the purported British upper class. Sorry, Brian SD, couldn't resist.

Brian SD

Reaction score
(Ambulance Chaser @ Feb. 24 2005,13:46)
Originally Posted by LA Guy,Feb. 24 2005,16:38
Or I'll send the Triad after you, as Styleman insinuated once.
That was another really strange aspect of Styleman's postings on that thread. What is a member of the British upper class doing with Chinese gangsters?
Actually, he said "Traids" and we never established whether that meant something other than Triads, or was simply the product of the poor typing and spelling skills of the purported British upper class. Sorry, Brian SD, couldn't resist.
Please don't apologize. I regretted making that whiny post seconds after I did it, but I'm usually not the type to delete something just because I'm embarrassed by it.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LA Guy- Thanks for the kind offer on the Corpus, but I live in the Hollywood Hills. I'll just go to the denim-bar in Fred Segal on Melrose to check these out. I haven't been in there in a while. It's the only store in L.A. that feels oppressively exclusive to me - I hate getting bad service from tragically hip twenty year olds, and there are too many celebrities running around. But sometimes an expert is manning the denim-bar and they can be pretty helpful, especially considering how these jeans have such different shrinkage patterns. I have a friend that worked there years ago - he has a closet full of vintage and japanese denim, all hung full length on clip hangers, all hand washed and line dried. People get pretty obsessed. I bought my Denimes there several years ago. I'm hoping they have a good selection of those as well. I checked out Denime's line on their website - Denime Jeans - they have an entire line of reproductions of various historical Levi's and Lee's. I assume that they are all better than original, kind of like modern restored muscle car's often are. Check out the links to how their jeans look after a few years. The Corpus Jeans look interesting. I emailed them from their website last night and they directed me to Fred Segal and HTC. I like the look of the Morphy Bootcut, as you suggested. Thanks.

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
Could use some advice on 501s. How do you know if a pair of old 501s are a good vintage? Particularly on eBay? What do you look for?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the only store in L.A. that feels oppressively exclusive to me - I hate getting bad service from tragically hip twenty year olds, and there are too many celebrities running around.

I've only ever gotten good service there, but at that time I was a tragically hip twenty something who knew way too much about jeans (I can tell denim weight by feel, correct about 80% of the time - sometimes processed denim throws you off) and I did some styling for semi-celebrities (the exclusive C-list) there.  

Actually, I was at the Santa Monica place a couple of weekends ago to show my fiancee, and although I made it clear from the beginning that I wasn't really interested in buying anything (they didn't have the exact jean I was looking for, in the exact size), I got to talking to one of the salesguys about jeans and cuts and the new season and the upcoming season, and about wearing in jeans, etc... He even commented positively on the hand customization of my Da'mage Rekkos.  He left to talk to another (real) customer, and came back again to chat a little more.  People who work at Fred Segal - HTC - are sort of like guys who work at used record stores.  If you look like part of the tribe and can walk the walk and talk the talk, they are much friendlier.  It's like that scene in High Fidelity.  Sad, sort of.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id like to see this how about a pic. =]

e

Sorry, don't have a digital camera, as mentioned before. But essentiall, on the entire front pockets, I have looped stitched (very closely, overlapping stitches) alternating sections of dark aqua and a medium brown embroidery thread, followed by a modified chain stitch underneath. Also, on the left hand side, there is a dark denim patch just under the pocket (fixing a real ripped) that was loosely loop stitched before being stitched on, all stitching in the aqua color. Same goes for reinforced back pockets (patches are inside jean, but stitching is visible.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I should have clafied that I do like talking to the denim guys. I've gotten into great conversations at both stores, and, like I said, a friend of mine used to work there and he would tell me who to talk to and mention that he sent me in.

I was being flippant about the attitude in there. It isn't terrible, but it can be surreal. Some of the Ron Herman vintage stuff - old t-shirts with studs and sequins - basically junior high home-ec projects, selling for $300. And I can't go in there without seeing Cameron Diaz or Christina Ricci or Lionel Richie (my last visit). It's kinda fun, but kinda depressing at the same time - the gross side of living in L.A.

I suppose the corrosive effects of celebrity culture is a whole different discussion.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA Guy, Nice post. Gives my some alternative jeans to consider. Sorry I'm late to the party, my current preference is Levi's 517s (a boot cut to give my long legs some shape). They also last forever. As an aside, I knew my lifestyle had changed when I started wearing out the seat before the knees.
biggrin.gif

mrprlover

Reaction score
I think we need to start the "Let's get LA a digital camera" Fund.

e

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One more question. Do the APC Anglaise in unwashed denim run true to size? In non-sanfordized jeans, like 501's, I usually order 34" waist, which is my true waist, and then let them stretch to fit after shrinking. I do this mainly to keep the fit from being overly baggy in my non-existant ass and thin legs. This is the main problem with 501's - the too high rise and saggy seat.

Helmut Lang raw bootcut jeans run big, and are sanfordized. I bought 33 in those, and they are still a tad loose.

Given this, would you recommend a 33" or 34" in the APC Anglaise? LA Guy? Anyone?

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
One more question. Do the APC Anglaise in unwashed denim run true to size? In non-sanfordized jeans, like 501's, I usually order 34" waist, which is my true waist, and then let them stretch to fit after shrinking. I do this mainly to keep the fit from being overly baggy in my non-existant ass and thin legs. This is the main problem with 501's - the too high rise and saggy seat.

Helmut Lang raw bootcut jeans run big, and are sanfordized. I bought 33 in those, and they are still a tad loose.

Given this, would you recommend a 33" or 34" in the APC Anglaise? LA Guy? Anyone?
Sounds to me like you are actually a 32 waist. If the jeans are shrink to fit and you buy a 34 for a proper fit, it means you are less than a 34. And you say that the HLs in 33 are too big. HLs are cut pretty slim, so they shouldn't be loose at all. As far as the APCs go, I would definitely size down based on what you just said.

Dan

Brian SD

Reaction score
Yea, I would do the same. If 33s in HL are too loose, definitely get a 32 in APC.

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
Can anyone help me on the 501s question? I was seeking guidance on how to discern good vintage 501s.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads