• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tempurpedic

KurtS90

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new mattress and really want a Tempurpedic. A friend has one (older model) in his guess room and it's a dream to sleep on. I was approved for 48 month 0% financing, so that helps (Pay it off in 24 months)...

Anyways I went to the local mattress dealer and tried a few models, but he was a bit pushy. I did not care much for the cloud line, to soft and I want more contour feeling. I briefly tried the Contour line and really like the Select from the 3ish mins I layed on it. I like how its firmer compared to the cloud and really confirms to you. They did not have a RhapsodyBed and from the discriptions on the website it sounds perfect. Plus my friend told me the Contour line a is a bit hot and breaks down over time, also its hard as hell when cold.

I may try another store or Macey (I think they carry them) and try to get 10 mins on each, if people will leave me allone! But does anyone have input and is it worth the money?

Its a lot of money but I think a good quality mattress will be a good investment in the long run... I been sleeping on an air mattress that I patched up many times for the past 8 months. Sadly it no longer holds air so it's time.

~Kurt

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
They are good but I recently bought another Stearns & Foster with memory foam on top which is great and about 1/3 the price. I just could not see spending all that money. But if you really want it, go for it.

Stewie

Reaction score
Not a fan, overpriced when it comes down to it. I have a back issue and it was recommended. Back issue actually got worse and we had purchased the top of the line at the time (4-5 years ago.) I would recommend do more shopping and look for something like Artisan Fan recommended with a memory foam but with the inner springs. Don't remember what we ended buying but something similar as mentioned but cost us a couple thousand less. I sleep way better with the cheaper mattress...maybe just because I'm happy not sleeping on wasted money :D

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like a water bed, they are great to sleep on but horrible for sex. Memory foam will be remembered as a fad.

You live in FL. Why buy something that's so hot to sleep on?

Last edited:

KurtS90

Reaction score
I ordered a queen RhapsodyBed with high foundation. They threw in a bed frame, well I am sure I paid for it. I also orderd the bed protector and TEMPUR-Rhapsody Pillow (Buy One, Get One). The pillows came in and love them so far, but my previous pillow was beyond flat.

I tried some other brands and just kept going back to the Rhapsody from Tempurdeic. I also spent the night at my friends house when down in Orlando recently and did not notice any extra warmth. But the pillows really stank when they first came in, strong chemical small.

~Kurt

KurtS90

Reaction score
This is my second night on my bed, had pillows for about a week... At about $4,000, I am not impressed. It's nothing like the model in the store, I would go as far and say its like sleeping on the floor. The worse part is the heat, my legs, butt, and lower back sweats (I sleep in the nude and AC set at 76). The pillows don't seem to be as plush and it's only been a week on them. It's also true about the smell, my apartment smells like a chemical dumping ground... I am forced to sleep with the window open with fan in the window blowing out... I live on the first floor and rather not sleep with my windows open. I will give it a few weeks, maybe it just needs break in. I feel this thing is falsely advertised so far...

I should note: when my air mattress went out. I slept on my leather couch and did not have sweating problems.

~Kurt

paradoxical3

Reaction score
Kurt, I went through the same thing with Tempurpedic. I would up going with Latex. I found it infinitely superior (keep in mind, these things are preferences though). It does not suffer from warm sleeping, and since I got natural latex it does not have a strong chemical smell. It offers the softness yet firm support that a good memory foam bed does, but also (critically) has some bounce and operates just like a normal bed for...extracurricular activities.

Your biggest decision will be whether to go with the Talalay or Dunlop process. Google has tons of info, but the best mattress site is whatsthebestmattress forums.

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/

There are a few companies out there that are all great (flobeds comes to mind) but I wound up choosing Sleep-EZ

http://www.sleepez.com/organic.htm

Their customer service was top notch (I needed to have them redirect a UPS shipment for me when my move-in day got delayed).

One thing to note - go with at LEAST the 8in one. I would actually recommend the 10in or higher. People on the mattress forum say you'll be fine with 8in, but I can bottom it out if I really am.....active.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads