• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Temeraire?

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
any one read this series by Naomi Novik?

I am halfway through the first book. definitely a fun read.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read the first two or three and enjoyed them. They were exciting and full of action, but ultimately throwaway books. Her writing leans a bit too heavily to a Young Adult style and level for my tastes.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read what's completed of the series. I agree her writing itself may not be as high in prose as, say, Tolstoy. Her ability to weave a story with a strong and internally consistent history is why I've gone back for more. And I love dragons.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
I've read what's completed of the series. I agree her writing itself may not be as high in prose as, say, Tolstoy. Her ability to weave a story with a strong and internally consistent history is why I've gone back for more. And I love dragons.

Even other fantasy writers. I'm not trying to be a snob, but I think she's closer to a Margaret Weis than she is a George R.R. Martin.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
yeah completely. the writing is way more juvenile than Martin, and especially M norrell and Jonathon Strange which is in the same time period, but alot of fantasy just sucks so when I heard about this series I wanted to give it a chance. i agree, It's definitely not something I would have a huge attachment to, but it's fun escapist reading.

any one have any suggestions on good fantasy like george rr martins? I've heard Joe abercrombie is supposed to be good, but when I looked at the books in the book store they weren't very dense.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by downwithianbrown
yeah completely. the writing is way more juvenile than Martin, and especially M norrell and Jonathon Strange which is in the same time period, but alot of fantasy just sucks so when I heard about this series I wanted to give it a chance. i agree, It's definitely not something I would have a huge attachment to, but it's fun escapist reading.

any one have any suggestions on good fantasy like george rr martins? I've heard Joe abercrombie is supposed to be good, but when I looked at the books in the book store they weren't very dense.

The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 45 15.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 92 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 54 18.4%
  • 31 - 40