1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Telling people prices of your shoes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sinnedk, Apr 20, 2011.

1. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

When they say, "What..100? 150?" I give a chortle and say, "Are you talking about my shoelaces or my underwear?"

2. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

Always an awkward question. Even if I say I forgot, they ask what brand. I tell them...they go look it up and never look at me the same again [​IMG]

Or you just say it was custom-made, and then they get confused...

3. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

I usually tell people how much. And I try to explain why I chose to buy the item despite the high cost. Generally that involves some mention of "funding excellence" in craftsmanship, etc. When talking shoes, if you just point out the difference between full grain and corrected grain, people become much more receptive to the idea of buying quality shoes. And I find that in general the resulting conversation leads to a thoughtful discussion about the way people spend their money.

Another thing that helps is comparing the cost of the shoes to a year of coffee, soft drinks, bottled water, and/or alcohol. Most people will admit they they spend way more per year on just one of those items than I've spent on the shoes.

4. ImaPro

ImaPro Senior member

When they say, "What..100? 150?" I give a chortle and say, "Are you talking about my shoelaces or my underwear?"

[​IMG]

5. Kslim

Kslim Senior member

I just tell them I got it as a gift but I think they cost around...(give wild ballpark figure).

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

I usually tell people how much. And I try to explain why I chose to buy the item despite the high cost. Generally that involves some mention of "funding excellence" in craftsmanship, etc. When talking shoes, if you just point out the difference between full grain and corrected grain, people become much more receptive to the idea of buying quality shoes. And I find that in general the resulting conversation leads to a thoughtful discussion about the way people spend their money.

Another thing that helps is comparing the cost of the shoes to a year of coffee, soft drinks, bottled water, and/or alcohol. Most people will admit they they spend way more per year on just one of those items than I've spent on the shoes.

I like his one the best.... That's what I choose, bu sometimes I just plain don't like telling people the cost, but u gotta pay for quality!

7. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Check out the the prices on Blahniks or Christian Laboutin .. and a co-worker of mine (err female co-worker ).. has 20 - 30 pairs. We small timers.

I usually just quote the right number tho - in Euro

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i cringe when coworkers/friends ask me of the make/model of my shoes. I just tell them to google "alden" or "john lobb" etc. and then I usually end the conversation shortly thereafter [​IMG]

9. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Senior member

Hahaha, Okay. So I told a girl who was very interested in where I got my shirts. Dumbest mistake ever. I told her that a man shows up at a hotel, reserves a room. Then I meet him there and look at fabric samples. And three months later, clothes arrive at my door.

And now the entire school knows. When you tell a bunch of people who are accustomed to going to the mall to pick up made in China stuff, they can't believe things like that happen. There's this underground market of goods and services nobody knows about.

They find it shady that it goes on in hotel rooms like it is some kind of sex service.

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

They find it shady that it goes on in hotel rooms like it is some kind of sex service.
    [​IMG]

11. DBoon

DBoon Senior member

..."I don't remember how much I paid because it was in Euros off a European website and the exchange rate always fluctuates.".

Hahaha, Okay. So I told a girl who was very interested in where I got my shirts. Dumbest mistake ever. I told her that a man shows up at a hotel, reserves a room. Then I meet him there and look at fabric samples. And three months later, clothes arrive at my door.

you really thought nobody could take these statements the wrong way?

Man, you have zero social awareness

12. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

I usually tell people how much. And I try to explain why I chose to buy the item despite the high cost. Generally that involves some mention of "funding excellence" in craftsmanship, etc. When talking shoes, if you just point out the difference between full grain and corrected grain, people become much more receptive to the idea of buying quality shoes. And I find that in general the resulting conversation leads to a thoughtful discussion about the way people spend their money. Another thing that helps is comparing the cost of the shoes to a year of coffee, soft drinks, bottled water, and/or alcohol. Most people will admit they they spend way more per year on just one of those items than I've spent on the shoes.
    I'm sorry, but I just don't know how it's possible to launch into this kind of lecture without sounding like Dwight Schrute. Most people just don't care about shoes on remotely the same level we care. They'll be bored or weirded out by a lengthy discourse on supporting craftsmanship, buying quality over branding, amortizing the price over the years, and so forth. I usually just say "They're by Edward Green. It's an English company. They make pretty good stuff." Or something like that. If they ask how much, give a hesitant "Well, they weren't cheap. But I take care of my shoes and plan to keep them for a long time, so the cost kind of works out for me." If they want to go Googling your manufacturer after the convo, that's on them.

13. philipp

philipp Active Member

When somebody asks me, what xyz cost, I usually tell them straightforward and never had any "problems" with that.

This "not saying, what they cost" seems to a mentality-thing. Here in Germany being direct is usually not considered to be rude, when you were asked a question.

14. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

When somebody asks me, what xyz cost, I usually tell them straightforward and never had any "problems" with that. This "not saying, what they cost" seems to a mentality-thing. Here in Germany being direct is usually not considered to be rude, when you were asked a question.
    In the US, a lot of people tend to be very wary around outliers. If you're too far away from the norm in any particular area, you'll earn scorn and lose trust. It's not quite as bad as the "Tall Poppy Syndrome" I've seen in places like Australia, but it's pretty prevalent here. The US is the ultimate peer-pressure society. It's ironic, given how the country was founded, that conformity is so highly valued here. But it is. If your peers are used to spending $100 on dress shoes, and you politely inform them that yours cost $600, say, or even $1000, they're going to think you're a douchebag and will actually take offense. A lot of this is slowly changing, though. I've noticed, if only anecdotally, that Generations Y and younger seem to care a lot more about quality clothes than previous generations did. It might be some sort of subconscious rebellion against diminishing prospects for the future, but whatever the case, kids these days care about dressing well -- not just dressing expensively or in a branded fashion, but dressing well. Granted, their idea of dressing well may very well mean Banana Republic. Possibly even Brooks Brothers. But even still, they will be receptive to learning more.

15. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I always just say that I forget.

so do i!

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have had a lot of experience with this. People usually generally ask me "where" I got my shoes. This is a difficult question enough to answer because people are really asking what "brand" they are. If I say I got them at Leffot, their question won't be answered really. I usually just say that I got them at a men's shoe store downtown and they are from a shoemaker called______. Then the question comes up about price. I generally play "upset" and say yeahh they weren't cheap, but I love them and they will last a long time. I had this one woman who kept guessing on how much my shoes cost. I was just saying "no" over and over, but she was so annoying I just told her and she yelled at me about it and went on about how their are starving children and all of that stuff. One coworker backed me up, but now this woman feels the need to pick on me constantly about my clothes and such.

17. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

"Been a while. I'd have to find the receipt," if I think they're being flippant.

But I do refer people to the company, and if they're really interested they'll look it up.

And thus begins the journey.

18. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

I get asked a lot...its extremely rude in my opinion. My response is the same every time. "not sure" The only person I talk prices and brands with is my father. and the only reason hed ever ask the price is to see how good of a deal i was able to get.

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I get asked a lot...its extremely rude in my opinion. My response is the same every time. "not sure" The only person I talk prices and brands with is my father. and the only reason hed ever ask the price is to see how good of a deal i was able to get.

I always lie to my parents when they ask how much something was. My father usually gets upset when I buy things for myself that are worth more than things he has bought me in the past.

20. RSS

RSS Senior member

Other person: How much?
    Me: Enough, and that's all I'm saying.