1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

tell me if this would be overtraining

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by bach, Sep 11, 2008.

1. beasty

beasty Senior member

On this side, David. On the other, Goliath.

Who won that battle again?

lefty

Thats a fictitious story you moron.

2. Kas

Kas Senior member

What are you babbling about?
    Newsflash! This is 2008 AD not 2008 BC, no one gives a shit about gathering berries, hunting and fighting another man. Hello!!

If you think looking big and impressive does not help you nail the boardroom presentation, those drinking sessions with your boss and that big client account, then you should get out of flipping burgers at the local Macdonalds and get into another line of work.

We are 'designed' by thousands of years of evolution for these specific tasks. A few milennia of civilisation are not going to alter our DNA so that our diet and ideal physique will differ.

3. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

We are 'designed' by thousands of years of evolution for these specific tasks. A few milennia of civilisation are not going to alter our DNA so that our diet and ideal physique will differ.

For the most part that is true and I agree with your general point, but the fact that many populations that developed dairying as a means of subsistance also show high levels of lactose tolerance compared to those populations who did not suggest that a "few" millennia of civilization can have effects on our DNA (or at least gene frequencies) and cause differences in our diet.

4. beasty

beasty Senior member

Oh really? Oh really, Mr Charles Big Shot Darwin?

Please pray tell what are these 'specific tasks' that altered micro-organisms' DNA to enable them to climb out of the cesspool?

And based on what you allege, then why is it that humans are not ill suited to be infront of the computer monitor and phones all day working? Hey, I bet when thousands of years of evolution came into play, there were no grand arching master plan to 'design' your DNA so you can do office work and not your hunting, fighitng and berry picking you seem to adore, you anachronistic throwback.

People like Jay have been the norm in physiques for decades, going back to Arnold and Sergio. But it seems to have pass you by, just like indoor plumbing.

5. beasty

beasty Senior member

For the most part that is true and I agree with your general point, but the fact that many populations that developed dairying as a means of subsistance also show high levels of lactose tolerance compared to those populations who did not suggest that a "few" millennia of civilization can have effects on our DNA (or at least gene frequencies) and cause differences in our diet.

Your point just shows adaptability in the human DNA. Just like the body is forced to adapt to new pressures everyday. Just like Jay's physique. This is nothing new and has been known for decades. This just reinforces Darwin's theories.

6. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

And based on what you allege, then why is it that humans are not ill suited to be infront of the computer monitor and phones all day working?

In some ways they are ill suited to these tasks, thats why people who work in offices and sit for long periods of time experience things like back pain, neck pain and carpal tunnel syndrome. It's also one of the reasons why many of them are overweight and obese (due to their long periods of inactivity).

7. Rand B

Rand B Well-Known Member

Kas,

On the bullet points, a fairly high degree of strength (with a concomitant level of mass) would have afforded greater success within the evolutionary framework. The issue becomes whether selective pressures would accommodate the increased metabolism and caloric need arising from a very heavy musculature in conjunction wtih a large brain. If the fate of this fellow can serve as example, it would seem not.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/ (Keyword search: Facts and Artifacts of Ancient DNA.)

There are however many examples of powerfully built living hunter/gatherer-esque groups. These guys come to mind:
    http://www.crossfitoakland.com/Papua...aro_Mudman.JPG

Not to niggle, but the archaic notion of "big and slow" individuals (as applied to strongmen) is without base. One need only view modern world-class sprinters to realize that it is in fact their powerful muscles that enable them to approach the limits of human bipedal speed.

GradStudent78/Buckaroo Banzai makes some good points, though I'd suggest that the retention of Lactase post weaning as response to consistent animal milk consumption would occur much more rapidly than tolerance of a new/novel substance (say, Gluten), with effects manifesting clinically as Celiac and being implicated in a host of other maladies.

R.B.

8. beasty

beasty Senior member

Kas,

On the bullet points, a fairly high degree of strength (with a concomitant level of mass) would have afforded greater success within the evolutionary framework. The issue becomes whether selective pressures would accommodate the increased metabolism and caloric need arising from a heavy musculature in conjunction wtih a large brain. If the fate of this fellow can serve as example, it would seem not.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...%3D9 <br />

There are however many examples of powerfully built modern hunter/gatherer-esque groups. These guys come to mind:
    http://www.crossfitoakland.com/Papua...aro_Mudman.JPG

Not to niggle, but the archaic notion of "big and slow" individuals (as applied to strongmen) is without base. One need only view modern world-class sprinters to realize that it is in fact their powerful muscles that enable them to approach the limits of human bipedal speed.

GradStudent78/Buckaroo Banzai makes some good points, though I'd suggest that the retention of Lactase post weaning as response to consistent animal milk consumption would occur much more rapidly than tolerance of a new/novel substance (say, Gluten), with effects manifesting clinically as Celiac and being implicated in a host of other maladies.

R.B.

Right on brother! Power to the people.
    Took the exact same words out of my mouth.
    I couldnt have put it better myself. Uncanny the similarity in our wavelengths.
    Enough said! Peace out!

9. whacked

whacked Senior member

Right on brother! Power to the people.
    Took the exact same words out of my mouth.
    I couldnt have put it better myself. Uncanny the similarity in our wavelengths.
    Enough said! Peace out!

[​IMG]

10. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

[​IMG]

No joke. I hope, at some point, that whoever's puppeteering beasty will step forward and take a bow when he gets bored.

11. jc138

jc138 Senior member

Really? You got evidence on that? If so, why don't you produce it?

I bet Governator will get sacked if it was known he was repeatedly taking illegal substances to win sporting events. Look at Slick Willy and his marijuana and Lewinsky gate scandal. How can a man like that a state with an economy that can rival other nations.

What exactly did you do for one hour? Unless you are really training balls to the walls, I don't see how you can claim to be totally drained.

A good chest workout would involve doing heavy flat bench or flat dumb presses. They should be so heavy that your male boobies would be so engorged with blood that Pam Anderson would be envious. You would then follow up with flys and incline bench. You are talking about 5 good sets of exercise.

There should be plenty of supersets, drop sets, pre- exhaust and rest pause techniques. If you just do standard 6 reps of 3 sets, then my friend, you cannot claim to be totally exhausted.

After a good chest workout, your triceps would be blasted and you can only do biceps.

So tell me: Have you been doing that? If not, can you say you feel totally drained? You guys should really workout. Then you would know what is real exhaustion and you will have new found respect for Jay.

You're an idiot:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in676684.shtml

12. jc138

jc138 Senior member

As a Crossfitter since 2003, I am well aware of the pros and cons of the program. Greg Glassman (founder of CF) has a bad back from his days as a gymnast. He doesn't do Crossfit. Bill Belichek is out of shape too, yet has been the best coach in the NFL since 2000. I wouldn't hold Greg Glassman's physical shape against CF.

Pros:
    As a 44 year old, I appreciate the brief, intense workouts. With 3 kids, I don't have time to spend 1-2 hours each day working out. CF keeps me in good all-around shape with a minimal investment

The athletic workouts (o-lifts, sprints, rowing) keep me fairly flexible without a separate stretching program.

The shorter workouts seem to have excellent carryover to longer cardio events. I haven't run over 4 miles in 20 years, yet finished in the top third of a 15K race this summer using only CF for conditioning.

Considering how infrequently the heavy lifts come up in the WOD, the poundages lifted are pretty good. I do heavy DL maybe 10 times a year, yet I can DL 2X my BW at any time. 2X bodyweight DL is no great feat (yet I see very few guys who can do it), but those who DL more than that are working at it a lot more and usually can't run worth a crap.

Looking like you're in shape often has little to do with actually being in shape. Dan John says that the most important muscles are those you need a mirror to see (back, butt, hips). Most people spend 90% of their time pumping up their pecs and biceps. I see way too many peacocks strutting around the gym who look very imposing yet can't squat or DL nearly what I can.

Cons
    The cult mentality. Jesus, it drives me nuts! The (CF) forum squashes any serious questions about the effectiveness of CF.

I don't find that it necessarily builds "bodybuilding" type muscle. Now, to be honest, I have never been able to put on much mass in my chest or arms. I'm not blessed in those areas which is what 99% of most guys want. CF rarely does heavy bench presses and never curls. They do a decent amount of dips (usually ring dips) and does an incredible amount of pull-ups, but my chest or biceps haven't seen much difference. Of course, my chest and biceps didn't see much difference when I did regular type workouts either. Since most guys want to look like bodybuilders, I would say that CF is not the best way to get there.

CF is a yuppie sport. Look at the pictures of the CF certifications. They look like a Republican convention. 99% white and many over the age of 35. These are people who don't think twice of paying $1000 to go to a CF certification for 2 days or paying $150 a month to workout at a CF affiliate. EDIT: what I mean by this is that I think one of the weaknesses of CF is that it's such a homogeneous group and doesn't look for/easily accept other ways of doing things. It's talk radio mentality: you hang out with a group of people who believe exactly what you believe, so you find it hard to believe that there is a whole world out there with different beliefs.

Nice. I'm still working my way up to 2x on deads.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

thanks for ruining my thread guys [​IMG]

Sorry, kid.

Here's some video to keep you warm.

Hannah Johnson box squatting 225, squatting 400 in a comp and taking off her squat suit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lefty

P.S. beasty, you can leave the room until the presentation is over.

14. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

That last vid is hot.

15. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Figures. Nice half-sleeve. [​IMG]

16. lefty

lefty Senior member

That last vid is hot.

I love it when she hits him then apologizes.

Click through to youtube - she has a few vids up.

lefty

17. beasty

beasty Senior member

18. jc138

jc138 Senior member

If I am an idiot. You ara a colossal one.
    Arnie said it was not illegal. READ!

Dear idiot:

The claim was not that he took illegal substances, but that he took steroids, which enabled him to train harder.

You raised "illegal substances" as a strawman. Whether they were illegal or not has no relevance to this discussion of over training.

19. beasty

beasty Senior member

Dear idiot:

The claim was not that he took illegal substances, but that he took steroids, which enabled him to train harder.

You raised "illegal substances" as a strawman. Whether they were illegal or not has no relevance to this discussion of over training.

Dear colossal idiot:

The point is steroids was used as MAINTENANCE!
    Do you comprehend? MAINTENANCE! Doofus.

If you are so stupid as to believe taking steroids played a significant factor in his accomplishments as a multiple Mr Olympia, please use the same hand that wipes your ass (sans TP) to feed your mouth. Quite appropos seeing the shit that comes from your mouth.

Best regards

20. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Right. And Snoop smokes weed just for his &quot;glaucoma&quot; and it has had no influence on his music.