• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell Me About Law School

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, thanks so much -- I've read everything twice and I appreciate it all. I'm archiving the info in the case that I go this route as there are too many gems that are rarely found by one in my position.

Originally Posted by Earthmover
And to be completely honest, class participation counts for extremely little in law school classes, so if grades are all you care about, you can simply start studying for the finals and blow off the class for the most part.

- I don't have a link to a 3-year curriculum, but here's mine.

Anyway, hope that was somewhat helpful; I'm a 2005 graduate, so I think it reflects the kinds of classes most people take these days. Feel free to ask follow-up questions.

Sad to hear about class participation being of little value, as I am rather eager in class. I especially appreciate reading over your curriculum, just to get an idea of things.

Originally Posted by Renault78law
Law school is reading, analysis and writing. As other have mentioned, the first year, you get an overview of the most basic topics in the law, and you also take a writing course. After your first year, you can choose your which courses you want to take. Most people take courses that will be tested on the bar, others take courses based on interest or they follow their favorite professors.

Social life in law school is an interesting animal. You share your schedule with all the other students in your section, so you can get to know everyone pretty well. This is the reason many say law school is like high school. Given the student body, I'd say it was worse than high school.

Law firms generally hire twice a year, in the fall and spring, for summer associate positions. Fall is when the bigger firms will come on campus to interview. As a first year, your grades wouldn't have come out yet, so you'll have to rely on your charm to get a paying job. Most first year law students don't get a paid job their first summer: externships with judges, pro bono volunteer work and research assistants with professors are common alternatives.

As an attorney (I'm speaking generally here, not specific to patent) in addition to your reading, analysis and writing skills that you developed in law school, you'll need to learn how to research. I think this is the most frustrating thing as a working attorney. Law school is generally closed universe, they provide the cases that you need to read. Associates have to find them, and if you're not good at it, it is very time consuming. Also, at a law firm, you have to bill your time. This leads to unhappiness for a lot of people, because you often find that you're either too busy or have nothing to do.

I also note that you can pass the patent bar without going to law school. If you want to draft patents, this might not be a bad way to get your feet wet.

Solid. Thanks.

Originally Posted by lawyerdad
As far as schools, that's tough to say. Do you have geographic limitations? Without getting too personal, do you have a shooting (pun intended) chance at getting into one of the 15-20 schools that tout themselves as "top 10"? I can't really speak to the market for in-house lawyers, but in terms of getting your first law school job, having gone to a school with a high "prestige" factor is a big help.

Won't know until the LSAT, I suppose. My GPA's great for an engineer, and though I like my area and would prefer to stay, I hope to be able to go anywhere I wish within a year or so.

Sounds like you're well-situated. As I said above, being able to absorb and synthesize large amounts of information is a very important skill for law school. The availability of non-law electives will vary by school, but I think such opportunities generally exist. (I know they did at Boalt when I was there.) Many schools also have joint degree programs with other institutions that would allow you to bring in classes from other fields. For example, I know people I was in school with had joint JD/MBA programs, joint JD/Government (not sure of the exact title) programs with the Fletcher School, joint JD/Social Policy, Jurisprudence programs (JD + an extra helping of philosphy, more or less), etc.

That's good to read, as my earliest dream was to be a man of letters, and I have a hard time living to utter exclusivity in one area, e.g Engineering grad work, where they never let you out. For anything. Ever.

Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I have a BSE, MSE, and am current in my 3rd year of 4 at the GWU night program in DC - while working for the USPTO during the day. I'll probably slide into IP law on the other side - I've already taken and passed the Patent Registration Exam (aka the Patent Bar), so I can easily start with patent prosecution, and then into litigation or licensing. One nice perk of the PTO is that after two years of service, the PTO will pay for your tuition, but there's a service commitment involved (the time calculation formula is rather complicated, but basically - if you have them pay for all the classes, you'll owe about 20 months). One negative of the perk - no summer internships that will get you a nice start on your career at a firm.

Night school while working at the PTO is not a bad way to go, as long as there is no Mrs. Huntsman (or Mrs. Huntsman is understanding). The job would correlates rather well with your likely future career, and you'll get an in-depth understanding of the prosecution side of the patent business.

Awesome! And no Mrs. Huntsman, which is why I figure I better get on with this.

Originally Posted by crazyquik
I pretty much agree with everything that's been said.

Most classes are taught using the Socratic method. Some teachers are more hardcore about it than others (one of mine randomly picked students and made them stand and speak without using notes for about a half hour on a given case, if you didn't know what you were talking about you were counted absent). Generally I think we read about 200 pages a week (some people read each case slowly and briefed it, others like me read each case about 3 times and took notes in the margins of the book, and some didn't read at all). So it's not like an undergraduate lecture where you can just show up and copy down notes from a powerpoint. The plus side is, class participation matters little in most classes but attendence is taken and supposedly required by the ABA.

I enjoy the Socratic method above all things. My favorite class was a grad Philosophy class in which the Prof would have one of us "teach the class" for a period -- sounds very much like your experience.

Socially law school is like high school. You'll probably have 125-180ish people in your class and these people will all eventually know each other. Cliques form. Backs get stabbed. Some people there will have never had a job, others will be young dropouts from professional or corporate America, others will be recent military, and some will probably be 10+ year cops or military so about 30-35 years old.

Meh. This is actually not bad in my view. Socially, most people in HS and college were afraid of me so I had little drama. Would expect to continue in that vein.

At most schools, people don't flunk out if they honestly try. Much more people quit in the first two weeks, quit after the first semester, or quit after the first year than actually get kicked out.

Assigned reading is typically edited down versions of appellate opinions. You read them and have to tease out the rule of law, the legal issue, etc. Eventually you'll collect a lot of rules together into an outline, and then on the exam be given a 2 page fact pattern and you'll need to spot all the issues, apply the facts in the fact pattern and the legal rules you learned, and then write something down. Getting the 'right' answer isn't as important as spotting the issue, using the rule, and applying the facts.

This is engineering without numerical integration. Weird.

Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Surviving law school is a badge of honor for many lawyers. It was a lot of work, but I did not find it as bad as some of the descriptions in this thread.

My top three tips:
1. Unless you know that you want to practice in a certain geographic area, attend the best law school that admitted you.
2. In law school, what you know is not as important as how you say it -- study model exam answers written by students (usually on file in the library).
3. After law school, what you know is not as important as who you know -- network as much as possible because you never know who will be in a position to give a positive reference on your behalf or tell you about a job opening.

The 'prestige' factor is perhaps the most repeated thread here. I had hoped to qualify for a top 15, but accept a lower ranking school that offered me cash, but I'll consider that more carefully.

You're pretty sure the reasonable prudent man is a friendless tool who still lives with his mother.

Loved that one.

Originally Posted by montecristo#4
My memories of law school are generally pretty positive.

Lots of poker and drinking first year.
Honed the golf game second and third year. Spent the winters playing Quake 2 and traveling to Foxwoods.
Highlight of my 3rd year was when my phone rang two weeks before fall exams:

"Hello, is Montecristo#4 there?"
"Yes, speaking."
"This is XXXXXX YYYYYYYY."
"Umm, okay." [Who is this guy?]
"I'm your Human Rights professor."
[Oh, ****!]
"If you don't come to class, I'm not going to be able to pass you."

Got a A- in that class. LOL.

Most people who attend law school don't know how to study, have relatively poor logical skills, and can't write worth a damn. If you're reasonably proficient at these things, the horror stories don't apply.

I have great study skills, am considered logical by engineers, and write exceptionally well, so I like what I hear here.

Originally Posted by eg1
Huntsman, as regards your OP, have you considered finance? That's the route my richest Engineering friends took.

eg, I have, but I know too little about the opportunities in Finance to even pose a cogent question here. Philosophically, I'm not sure Finance is for me, and I'd hate to completely abandon engineering, which I do enjoy. From things I read, it seems as if sales is always involved somewhere, and I don't really have the temperment for that. I would like to know some more, though,

Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
My ideals are still intact, but now they're tempered by a six figure loan amount.

For the record, I don't hate law school. For the most part, I also like my law professors. However, it's amazing to see how fast people lose their humanity here. A semi-normal, semi-sociable, semi-friendly entering student will turn into a complete self-absorbed, self-righteous, asshole by the end of the second year. I have friends who are graduate students of the other departments, and I can clearly see the difference. Not that they study any less, but they somehow manage to have a life and can hold a normal conversation about something else other than their work. In other words, they're normal.

Some law students still manage to have a normal life, but they're the exceptions, not the norms. The one common thread that I've been able to discern from this group is that they stay away from the school as much as they can. As for myself, I go to class, then straight home or to my gf's house (she's also a law student). I hang out with about a handful of law students, the rest of my group of friends are graduate students at the other schools. I can feel my blood pressure rising every time I enter the school. The most immediate impetus is usually from seeing the dark and grim faces of the other law students.

Man, you sound so much like you're talking about engineers. And, I might add, you sound a bit like me talking about my undergrad -- I used to say that the best part of my day was leaving the Uni for home.

Best,
Huntsman

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by solipsist
http://online.wsj.com/public/article...780835602.html

That is disturbing. I make just under $55k, which I know is great right out of college with a Bachelor's. Plus, I enjoy engineering and I have a great job at a great firm, but long term I see that most engineers are seriously dissatisfied because of how narrow the constant-dollar wage band is. With an MSME and a senior-engineer title it looks to be in actuality about $75k peak. As an engineering manager, I expect my boss is up around $85-90k, and as the engineering group manager I expect just over $100k is realistic. I might get to the $85k in 7-10yrs if I get the MS and my license and am lucky. The likelihood is that will be the best I'll do unless I get a senior management job when I'm 55. But I know I'll have absolutely no life for three years (and since I never have, its getting annoying), and with housing out here going for $300k+ with a family I don't know if I could do any of the things I want to or not.

I wish it was easier to find out what people are making. Would make decisions much easier.

~ Huntsman

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Huntsman, get an MBA. Only two years of hell and you can get a summer internship that pays pretty good wages. 33% less lost wages and quite a bit more in flexibility. When I was studying for my GMAT, I found out engineers are the largest group of people to take the GMAT. This of course explains when I landed in the 98th percentile for verbal but only the 90th for math. You engineer mo-fos were skewing the curve!

To the law peeps, anyone know of a decent school that gives either free or reduced tuition for seniors? I'd wait until 55 if I could do a top 20 school for free
smile.gif

migo

Reaction score
Law school hell sounds a lot like Engineering school hell
confused.gif
I'm hoping that working in a law school will get me used to all the grim faces. Then again, I myself have a grim face all the time. Huntsman, thanks for starting this thread...I was going to do the same exact thing in a few days. I've recently decided to go to law school for IP stuff after a few months of deliberation. As interesting Mech and Aerospace engineering is, I can't go through grad school doing this. It's way too much work for what will most likely be not enough compensation; the eventual salary limitations really turn me off, too. I decided for law because I'm hoping to be able to use even a little of my engineering background in the future. Here's to a successful future in law though, for you and me, Hunstman
cheers.gif
P.S. - I start studying for LSAT's in a week or two

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I know too little about the opportunities in Finance to even pose a cogent question here. Philosophically, I'm not sure Finance is for me, and I'd hate to completely abandon engineering, which I do enjoy. From things I read, it seems as if sales is always involved somewhere, and I don't really have the temperament for that.

Sales is involved in law too, sir, big-time. You won't make partner in a law firm, no matter how fine your legal skills, if you have no "rain-making" ability.

Sales is really hard to avoid in the "real world."

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd take that WSJ article to heart. Also, think about your location. Some of the markets are ******* flooded with lawyers. When I was in my car accident last year I must of received 50+ flyers in the mail for lawyers. And that's a conservative estimate! Billboards line the highway, emergency rooms have the cards in a book, and the yellow pages has almost 1000 listings. I'd have to think that it would be impossible to break into the market unless you ended up with a big firm. The whole Dade/Broward/Palm Beach tri-county area is the same way.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine a population that as a whole is more likely to react badly to this sort of things than a group of law students.

True enough. I didn't hate law school, though of course it was a lot of work. However, I hated being at the law school around exam time (at least during the first year). Normal people went temporarily insane, and insane people went ballistic. It's just not a fun environment to be in, and it's incredibly easy to get caught up in the hysteria. Law schools, for the most part, grade on a curve, so you are in competition with your fellow students from day one. This sort of environment can turn even the most laid back, fair minded person into a massive worry wort, if nothing else.

I have a hard time believing that law school is any harder than any other school for an advanced degree. I imagine they're all a different kind of hard, but it's not like these schools are just handing out their degrees, nor should they be. I guess my one piece of advice is only go to law school if you either really want to be a lawyer or have a reasonably good idea of how you'll use the degree after you graduate (and a reasonably good idea that how you'll be using the degree will make you happy, or at least satisfied). It's true that you can do a lot with a law degree, but it's equally true that you can do a lot without one.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I have a hard time believing that law school is any harder than any other school for an advanced degree. I imagine they're all a different kind of hard, but it's not like these schools are just handing out their degrees, nor should they be. I guess my one piece of advice is only go to law school if you either really want to be a lawyer or have a reasonably good idea of how you'll use the degree after you graduate (and a reasonably good idea that how you'll be using the degree will make you happy, or at least satisfied). It's true that you can do a lot with a law degree, but it's equally true that you can do a lot without one.

My law degree was much harder than my MBA. I actually liked Finals time. Gave you an incentive, and I liked the competition.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
My law degree was much harder than my MBA. I actually liked Finals time. Gave you an incentive, and I liked the competition.

Really? I have to say, I have been reading everyone's amount of reading and work time for their JD and thinking that it was actually somewhat lighter than many of my b-school classes. I can remember one Citibank case study that had a one week turn around that I must have put 80 hours into. At the beginning of our second year, I came up with the GPAPH (TM) concept, Grade Point Average Per Hour, and decided that was my standard. For instance, if I received a 93 and you got a 94, but I took only two hours for a case study and you took 20 hours, my GPAPH would obviously be much more favorable than yours.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
That is disturbing. I make just under $55k, which I know is great right out of college with a Bachelor's. Plus, I enjoy engineering and I have a great job at a great firm, but long term I see that most engineers are seriously dissatisfied because of how narrow the constant-dollar wage band is. With an MSME and a senior-engineer title it looks to be in actuality about $75k peak. As an engineering manager, I expect my boss is up around $85-90k, and as the engineering group manager I expect just over $100k is realistic. I might get to the $85k in 7-10yrs if I get the MS and my license and am lucky. The likelihood is that will be the best I'll do unless I get a senior management job when I'm 55. But I know I'll have absolutely no life for three years (and since I never have, its getting annoying), and with housing out here going for $300k+ with a family I don't know if I could do any of the things I want to or not.

I wish it was easier to find out what people are making. Would make decisions much easier.

~ Huntsman

wow. at the top of the scale, the PTO pays more than that. I'm guessing that an MSME = MS in Materials Engineering?

here's the USPTO salary scale. http://www.popa.org/txt/salary2007.txt
(from the union website). Most people start at grade 7 or 9, and get promoted 1 grade per year up to 13. Going from 13 to 14 takes about 2 years. Grade 15 is management. So you can get to a six figure salary in 6 years.

One other negative for the PTO - it's a lot of work, and each promotion entails an increase in the work rate (the job itself stays the same, you're just given less time per case). The PTO hasn't changed the expectancies for cases completed per week since the 1970's, even though there's probably three times as much prior art to go through. Because of this, turnover is high at the PTO - 10 to 20% quit every year, mainly because they can't meet the production requirements. Most of them are new people. that being said, if you can meet the production (or don't mind doing unpaid overtime), you can get a 6-figure income and the attendant government benefits.

A lot of people doing the law school program refuse promotions past grade 12, in order to balance work and school.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
You won't make partner in a law firm, no matter how fine your legal skills, if you have no "rain-making" ability.

This is an exaggeration. Obviously, rain-making ability is a big plus. But at many firms, there are roles for rain-making partners and "service" partners. Plus, there are many ways to "succeed" in the legal profession other than becoming a partner in a law firm.
Originally Posted by JBZ
I have a hard time believing that law school is any harder than any other school for an advanced degree.
That's my assumption as well. Your comments about exam time touch on one reason I rarely studied on the law school campus, unless I was working with other people. I'd study at home, or in a cafe or something, to get away from wigged-out law students.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Really? I have to say, I have been reading everyone's amount of reading and work time for their JD and thinking that it was actually somewhat lighter than many of my b-school classes.

I think your assessment is fairly accurate. Obviously, the amount of reading/work is going to depend in part on one's particular personality, study habits, etc. But while the law school workload was heavy at times, I didn't find it to be crushingly so. You can do well putting in a moderate amount of work, although obviously the people who care deeply about being at the top of the class will likely drive themselves harder. I certainly have no reason to believe that the amount of work, on average, is any harder than one might encounter in b-school or med school.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar happened in one of my exams. Fact pattern about a guy named like Bertrand, then in the question it referred to Bernard (or similar, or vice versa). Some people caught this and wrote "blah blah blah does not apply because Bernard was not even mentioned in the fact pattern." Not sure if it got elevated to the Dean or not. I was kinda put off by the amount of minor errors in the exams
plain.gif

Wow, law students sound like a whiney bunch!

I wrote a Game Theory exam once and used initials to shorten the characters' names after the first use. At some point I started mis-typing one of them (AB should have been BA sort of thing). If a student had actually answered by saying "AB isn't part of this game" etc, they would have failed. This bunch of geniuses managed to come up and say "I think you have a typo here." I replied, "Yes, you are correct. That should be BA. Everyone hear that?" And they were mere undergrads.

b

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has been fascinating. I'm another one who has considered law school. Actually I thought about it when I was about to graduate from undergrad and have sort of thought about it since. I even took the LSAT back in 99 and started talking to admissions people. The chair of NYU's admin committee recommended I just finish my dissertation and get a job, then learn on my own what I want to know.

This is because I have NO desire to practice law. But I find the law fascinating. Some day I may do it. If it's free.
smile.gif

b

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Wow, law students sound like a whiney bunch!

I think "panicked" is closer to the truth, or at least it was when I was in law school.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Really? I have to say, I have been reading everyone's amount of reading and work time for their JD and thinking that it was actually somewhat lighter than many of my b-school classes. I can remember one Citibank case study that had a one week turn around that I must have put 80 hours into. At the beginning of our second year, I came up with the GPAPH (TM) concept, Grade Point Average Per Hour, and decided that was my standard. For instance, if I received a 93 and you got a 94, but I took only two hours for a case study and you took 20 hours, my GPAPH would obviously be much more favorable than yours.

Reminds me of a little undergrad game we played called "marks per minute", the object being to leave the exam earliest and get the highest m/m ratio ...
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads