• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tell me about buying an abandoned warehouse (or stony/brick building) as a home

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is a blog out there written by a family who have converted an old warehouse style building (I think it was an old mechanic's garage) to a home.

It was pretty cool and detailed most of the process they went through in converting it to a home but I can't seem to find it even with a bunch of googling.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe
no clue. where and how do i start researching this?

Ask a real estate agent about hard lofts.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone I know who owns warehouses used for commercial use gripes about how expensive they are to keep up, they need a new roof every 6 months.

I can't imagine what it would cost.

not_a_virus.exe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Ask a real estate agent about hard lofts.
i forgot to clarify that i'm not interested in hard lofts because i don't want to share walls with neighbors. i play loud music and don't want to collect noise complaints lol.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you want to buy a whole building? Would you use all the floors or what would you do with the rest of it?

-LR

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
There is a blog out there written by a family who have converted an old warehouse style building (I think it was an old mechanic's garage) to a home.

It was pretty cool and detailed most of the process they went through in converting it to a home but I can't seem to find it even with a bunch of googling.

Was that the one in Detroit, it was something ridiculous like 40,000sqft?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have thought about this too but haven't been able to find any reasonably priced real estate. I have been searching for info on this too but I fall short every time.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Was that the one in Detroit, it was something ridiculous like 40,000sqft?

Nah, this was in ohio or something and actually quite reasonably sized. It was probably originally a 2-lift shop so the building was not very large (they have lofted bedrooms...partially because there wouldn't be space otherwise)

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe
no clue. where and how do i start researching this?
You could try asking a commercial real estate company. Neighborhoods where you might find the type of space you're looking for might be that area around the railroad tracks getting down towards Barrio Logan, and then that narrow strip that hasn't yet gentrified that goes along the railroad tracks from the north side of little italy to the sports arena area the problem with san diego is much of the development is too new to have the type of atmosphere you are looking for. You could find at least one building like this in almost any town east of the Mississippi that had any level of industry 50-100 years ago. it's a lot tougher in areas where the commercial buildings are new, I mean you could find acres and acres of commercial buildings in the far north end of San Diego, around say Convoy St or Mira Mesa Blvd, but it just wouldn't have the right ambience that I think you've described

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads