• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me about Astoria

lutfa

Reaction score
Astoria is a predomantely greek neighborhood with moroccans,egyptians and spanish. The food and the surroundings is very nice with a nice flavor to it. And lots of near by shops and transpotation.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe that was in Jamaica (in queens) and the mcdowell's owner lived in jamaica estates. I can't remember though. Astoria isn't exactly predominantly greek anymore if you ask me. And a lot of people make it out to be the next billyburg but it doesn't compare. It's kinda...eh. But it's fine.
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Semmi: But where in New York can one find a woman with grace, elegance, taste and culture? A woman suitable for a king. Prince Akeem, Semmi: Queens!
4th-comingtoamerica.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblau
People priced out of Brooklyn hip areas going there: 1. very convenient if you work midtown east 2. MUCH cheaper than comporable areas...can live nicely, by real world standards, my friend pays $800 p/m for a big room in a house 3. beer garden a + but gets busy, still $14 big pitchers of good beer and decent priced food always a welcome sight 4. good food, a lot of international stuff if you go for that 5. if you are going for the reasons you state, other people, want a house, proximity to Manhattan you will like it....it is not a Manhattan replacement...party all you want Fri/Sat but its still a long subway ride at past midnight
This is my impression. After living there for a little, I think we'll be more comfortable with the area to find something more suitable to our situation. For the next year or so, it's basically a testing phase. The fact that it's less expensive doesn't hurt either because, after all, I'm no Partner yet. As for pricing, we're looking at something around $2,500/mo with decent space, i.e. 2-3 bedrooms, 1.5-2 baths, and enough closet space for 4. Am I delusional?

bomber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Shows where you're from. When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought, "Besides 'The Goonies'?"

Don't forget that Kindergarten Cop movie.

Uhm, that's it I think.

Toad

Reaction score
US Census - Astoria Fact Sheet
I recently found the US Census Bureau website interesting when I was searching for neighborhoods to move to in Queens. You can tell what kinds of people are in the neighborhod based on solid data.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toad
US Census - Astoria Fact Sheet
I recently found the US Census Bureau website interesting when I was searching for neighborhoods to move to in Queens. You can tell what kinds of people are in the neighborhod based on solid data.

Fascinating!

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
It's getting more expensive. Don't live there, but me and my gf walk over a lot in the summers. They have the Museum of the Moving Image, sometimes they have cool films, they have exhibits that are interesting (had one on Gumby last year, I think).

What more info were you looking for?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ang_kangkong
What more info were you looking for?

Places to go, e.g. restaurants, bars, food markets; places to avoid; local tips, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads