1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tel Aviv / Athens Trip

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zarathustra, Jul 26, 2007.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

good luck. Israel used to have a number of bespoke tailors and shirt makers, about 7-10 years ago they were dying off. if you really want to know, go to the area in tel aviv off of ben yehuda where they sell fabric - nahalt benyamin, and ask if there are any survivors. about 10 years ago there was one they called the "last of the mohicans" he was about 90. I had several suits made by an old moracan guy in jerusalem named Meyer, but he was pretty old and frail 10 years ago.

I'll tell you my take on it - the only real logical market for bespoke clothing is for the serious guys in high tech - and they all travel alot, so they can shop internationally, and not that many of them dress well.

but, good luck.

i was in israel for three weeks about 2 months ago and i'm preparing now to open what i believe is the first modern tailor shop in the country (tailors do exist but don't do anything beyond alterations i believe)

feedback i get is either ''huge waste of your time,israelis don't dress up period'' or ''we're dying for some proper clothes,if not suits at least shirts,where do we sign up!'' as for men's stores it's an absolute shame: high end is NAUTICA, TOMMY HILFIGER and the basic lines at that....

as for food, israel is considered one of the top '' food concepts pioneers'' but yea compared to NYC it might not be a very fair comparison, fresh ingredients are a world apart to american ones but it's something u might not be able to tell in a quick visit and by looking at a menu....

2. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

In Greece the Grande Bretaigne rocks. Its the finest hotel in Athens and it bords the Constitutional square. If you have an iPhone or wifi capable mobile phone, you get free wifi from the adjacent Constitutional square (Syntagma). From the airport take the Metro and Syntagma square stop is literally a 30 second walk to your hotel. Its a 4 minute walk to Monastiraki (the ancient market) where there is a tremendous amount of shopping to do and things to see...and food that rocks. Everyone speaks English so its easy to navigate. The Acropolis is a few minutes walk up hill from the ancient market. The cloth merchants and tailors are within 5 minute walking distance too....good choice on place to stay.

I recently did it all as a tourist and loved Athens

3. Modernist

Modernist Senior member

bumping this thread up because it's the only one that mentions the store. What's the quality like on the house label at Carouzos? They seem to stock top lines. Any clue on the maker? Price range?

The house label isn't something spectacular. Suits I think are between 600-900 euros on retail. Some made here in Greece, some in Italy, and they even have some raincoat or jackets made in China. Fused or half-canvassed. They are well-made for what they are, but again, nothing spectacular. A bit conservative.

But they do carry most of the top brands, and they even own the franchises for Zegna and Brunello Cuccineli. There are two chains of stores, Carouzos and Carouzos Sketch. The mainline carry Cornelliani, Zegna, Isaia, Kiton, etc. The Sketch stores are more fashion-forward, carrying Varvatos, Jil Sander, Prada and the like. And there are some real bargains at their outlet stores, where most of the merchandise is 60-70% off (and the reason I own so many Jil Sander and Prada ties).

By the way, the real posh district for shopping in Athens is in Kifisia. It's a suburb in the north of Athens, with a strong preppy undercurrent. That's why here in Athens preppy is called VP (Voreia Proasteia = Northern Suburbs).

4. meister

meister Senior member

Gents:

As luck will have it, I am on a business trip to Tel Aviv in the middle of August and then am staying a few days in Athens, Greece prior to returning stateside.

My first question is as follows: i will be doing a couple depositions in Tel Aviv. While i would normally just throw on a suit, i was curious to know what the formality level is there for lawyers when not in court. Am i going to be insulting anyone, if i show up in a suit?

The next and more important question --- is there anything sartorial related that I should check out when there? Don't know what i am looking for -- I assume tailors there would be expensive? At least more so than Greece?

Finally, when i am Athens -- where should i go. I have read that it is the height of the bargain season there. Any ideas as to where i should look? Also, anyone recommend any tailors for shirts, trousers, or suits?

Any recommendations as to food, wine, and women would also be greatly appreciated.

Ermou St and Kolonaki for good shoes...and Plaka for food near the Japanese Restaurant and the Vegetarian on Adrianou St (olos)

5. Modernist

Modernist Senior member

Ermou St and Kolonaki for good shoes...and Plaka for food near the Japanese Restaurant and the Vegetarian on Adrianou St (olos)

Kolonaki mostly. Ermou St is more high street, as the British define that. Kalogerou is probably the best for shoes in Kolonaki.

6. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Thanks! Yoox has a few of their tailored house label pieces and it's always hard to tell from just a few small shots.

7. yarnsforth

yarnsforth Senior member

Kolonaki mostly. Ermou St is more high street, as the British define that. Kalogerou is probably the best for shoes in Kolonaki.

Modernist, do you have any comments about the Glou bespoke shop on Lambraki, in Piraeus?

8. Modernist

Modernist Senior member

Modernist, do you have any comments about the Glou bespoke shop on Lambraki, in Piraeus?
    It's not bespoke, it's MTM, and basic at that. Bespoke in Athens, if one does the legwork, starts at 400-500 euros for a two-piece, plus the cost of fabric. Of course most tailors tend to be grumpy old men, and if one wants something deviating a bit from the norm it's an uphill struggle, but perseverance is eventually rewarded. The problem is that most of them make cloths for old men, who are still in the habit of having suits made (RTW was introduced in Greece in the late 50s, early 60s), and haven't had anything made for a younger man for a while now. Some less committed friends of mine use military tailors. They charge 150-200 euros, plus fabric, for a half-canvassed suit. Not ideal, but still better compared to something similarly priced off the peg.