1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

tees and side seams

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jiomitori, Apr 27, 2006.

1. jiomitori

jiomitori Senior member

I've been looking more into how my different t-shirts are constructed and how that affects the fit and comfort. One of the biggest differences appears to be whether the shirt has side seams or a tubular body.

Here are my questions:

Which of these is best for a muscular build (or, having pectoral muscles)?
    Which of these is best for a flatter chest?
    Or does it not matter?

If you have any experiences or preferences you would like to share, this is the place.

2. PunctualAlex

PunctualAlex Well-Known Member

In my experience it depends on the cut. Some t-shirts with side seams flare outward slightly or are just straight, others taper inward. I imagine if you are muscular you'll want a shirt with side seams that tapers inward to hug your torso but still have room for your chest.

3. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

The stuff I've worn with side seams usually has a more athletic fit; American Apparel for instance. Tubular is basically cheaper to do since there's less work involved in making them, and often those are just white tees I use for undershirts.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Well, side seams allow for a more tapered and form-fitting cut, so if that's what you want, go for that.

Tubular shirts do take less work, but they are harder to get the fit right for. Most American Apparel shirts are tubular. A lot of people scorn them for still having some side-seamed t-shirts however.

5. Geowu

Geowu Senior member

I had a t-shirt altered by a tailor to fit me better. It fits great now. It costed only $3

6. BigSur

BigSur Senior member

I had a t-shirt altered by a tailor to fit me better. It fits great now. It costed only $3

Did that adversely affect any other part of the shirt?

7. Geowu

Geowu Senior member

no... I think I'll do it with all my tees, but they have to be a little too big, otherwise there's nowhere to cut.

8. Max

Max Senior member

This kind of thing would take you literally 5 minutes on a sewing machine.