1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Technology Climax.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LabelKing, Jun 25, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

In 1910. That was not an inter-war year.
    Obviously, unless I meant the years between Napoleon and Kaiser Wilhelm. However, there were plenty of famous liners during the '20s and '30s. Wasn't it known as the Golden Age of Ship Travel? Why else did Louis Vuitton, Goyard, etc. build all those steamer trunks in that period? Train travel, you could say, but huge steamer trunks were mostly commissioned for ocean liners.

2. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

+1,000

But that only boosted your post count by one.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

IMany of the famous liners were built during the inter-war period.

Yes, but the lines you named built none of them.

The finest ship ever built. Yet for someone as into modernism as you, I would expect you to at least mention Ile de France, Bremen, and Europa, just for starters.

Look, despite how it may seem, I don't think you are stupid or ignorant. I actually think you are intelligent, and learned about what you have learned. What mystifies me is why you insist on pretending that you know things that you plainly do not know. At best, you can fool some people on the Internet. I believe that you have largely failed at that. OK. So what? Just stop. You have a lot to offer on topics that you really understand. Stick to those for the time being, and learn the rest. I honestly think that you can do it if you put your mind to it.

4. Nantucket Red

Whether the image captured is worth capturing is more important IMO than whether its recorded digitally or with analog equipment. Its just that digital equipment gives the user the ease of use, editing, and eliminates many of the hazards of working with filmstock.

But it doesn't eliminate those damned pixels.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yes, but the lines you named built none of them.
    Therein is my muddling. Considering my insufferable insomnia, I should think that the fact I could recite those names is a feat in itself.
    One of my favorites is the SS Andrea Doria. I also like zeppelins.
    I'm charmed by your TV moment.

6. Manton

One of my favorites is the SS Andrea Doria.

Built in the '50s. You are just intent on proving my point, aren't you?

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Built in the '50s. You are just intent on proving my point, aren't you?

I know it was built in the '50s. That's modernist.

8. Manton

I know it was built in the '50s. That's modernist.

A real modernist would know that modernism peaked in the '20s. Andrea Dorea was a Miami rest home compared to Ile de France and Normandie.

Jeffrey, I tried, in a spirit of genuine goodwill. We now return to our regularly scheduled contempt.

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

But it doesn't eliminate those damned pixels.
    Pixels are the "grain" of the modern era, man.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

A real modernist would know that modernism peaked in the '20s. Andrea Dorea was a Miami rest home compared to Ile de France and Normandie. Jeffrey, I tried, in a spirit of genuine goodwill. We now return to our regularly scheduled contempt.
    If you mean by the Bauhaus or Adolf Loos, that was the beginning of modernism. People commonly refer to the mid-century as Modernist as well. I understand that you are contemptuous of '50s esthetics--witness your opinions on Brasilia--however, that does not negate the fact that the '50s is still considered Modernist by convention. Peruse this site: http://www.wright20.com/

11. Manton

I understand that you are contemptuous of '50s esthetics

No, no. I meant my contempt for you, personally.

Brasilia is a nightmare. Visit, and you will see.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

No, no. I meant my contempt for you, personally. Brasilia is a nightmare. Visit, and you will see.
    Did your spirit of goodwill vanish as fast as those WMDs disappeared? I don't plan to visit Brazil, but I'll take your (biased) word on it. I think you're really obsessed with me in a Fraiser-esque sort of way.

13. Nantucket Red

So much less character than film grain. Even Mondrian wouldn't have found such regularity charming.

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Just out of curiosity, can you tell the difference between film and digital? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Guess away... [​IMG]

15. Nantucket Red

Brasilia is a nightmare. Visit, and you will see.

I've heard that Chandigarh is also less than a smashing success.

16. Nantucket Red

Just out of curiosity, can you tell the difference between film and digital?

Guess away...

[​IMG]

These photos don't show up on my work computer. Also, if they're on the internet, the analogue photos would be digital scans.

If this is anything like guessing which are the real or fake breasts, I'm bound to score high.

17. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

These photos don't show up on my work computer. Also, if they're on the internet, the analogue photos would be digital scans.
    Thats the punchline a-hole. Thanks for ruining it. [​IMG] Everything in print media ends up as a digital picture, whether it was originally taken from film or not. Thats why digital photography makes a lot more sense to the professional print photographer.
    Lets see how you do? http://sinsecticide.tripod.com/portf...ven_Copy_1.jpg http://sinsecticide.tripod.com/portfolio/canoe.jpg http://sinsecticide.tripod.com/portfolio/grid.jpg http://sinsecticide.tripod.com/portf...ain_Copy_1.jpg

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It's good to have enthusiams, even frivilous ones, but it's best not to let said enthusiams cloud your mind to the extent that you think something is best because you like it.

I love ocean liners (and I came to love them when I was younger than you were when you started posting on this forum) but I have to admit that as technology they are inferior to modern transportation, and there is a reason why they are gone.

If you think that's one of the more frivolous obsessions I have, my other one is luggage.

I love high-end luggage. I wish they would put a complete book out. They have books on watches and pens, why not suitcases?

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

+1. It's the same thing just in a diff format.

Jon.

20. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

+1. It's the same thing just in a diff format.

Jon.

*moment of panic*

Now that Jon thinks he agrees with me, I have to either A: Change his mind, or B: reverse my opinion tactfully and exit the conversation. Otherwise my credibility is completely shot!

[​IMG]