• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technology Climax.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
You wouldn't think so if you had to drive a Packard with a shot gasket for its vaccuum-assist steering and brakes. That said, my brother was able to make a new gasket and completely remedy the situation in a matter of hours.
One of the best feeling power-assisted steering I've experienced was the old ZF system in the '60s and '70s Mercedes. That huge bakelite wheel, while looking like a bus wheel, was hugely enjoyable and balanced.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
If you wanted a nimble, fast car with good gas mileage, you could get a Lancia Fulvia.

But with terrible emissions. A Mazda Miata will do all that faster and cheaper. If you buy the 1st gen Miatas, which are still holding up well, you don't even get power steering.

One of my paramount priorities is that I do not like disposable goods. I see things that eschew mechanical engineering in favor of a bunch of electronic goods as disposable.
I don't see it as a zero-sum game. Electronic augmentation of mechanical systems is the logical and sensible way to do things: you let the mechanical things do the things they do best (hold the car together, provide reaction forces to the road, and generally be the interface to the physical world), and you let the electronics do what they do best (control and feedback systems which need to be fast, flexible, and complicated). One's the brawn, and the other's the brains.

--Andre

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I just paid a visit to Nikon House in Ginza. One gets the impression that if Nikon ever made it, they have it (though I did not see an ELW). I had a brief chat with the proprietor that went something like this:

Me: This is like a Nikon museum. You have everything!

Nikon House: (laughs) Well, a lot of people trade in stuff.

Me: Most people are moving to digital, aren't they?

Nikon House: Yes, but digital is just another kind of computer game. 80% of our customers use film cameras because film better conveys human feelings. (人間の心を映し出す)

Me: Well, I think most people these days prefer the convenience of digital.

Nikon House: Digital is convenient for business because it's fast and anyone can use it. If you're running a business, you really need digital. But for the art of photography, there's no substitute for film. Perhaps that seems a bit anachronistic . . . (laughs).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's an interesting conversation. Japan seems to have this great regard for Western historical tradition--witness the cultish devotion to bespoke, Leica, etc.

I used to have a rather expensive Nikon SP with three lenses and while it was a nice camera, it didn't have the heft or apparent quality of a Leica.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I haven't witnessed any cultish devotion to bespoke here, though I suppose it exists to the extent that the Japanese tend to be single-mindedly devoted to some interest or other.

I once aspired to becoming a professional photographer, and from the time I was in high school, used a Nikon F2 with a battery of lenses. I also did a great deal of my own darkroom work in both B&W and color.

I think comparing Nikon to Leica, Nikon represents the ideal combination of quality and versatility for the price, while Leica has always been quality for a premium.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't witnessed any cultish devotion to bespoke here, though I suppose it exists to the extent that the Japanese tend to be single-mindedly devoted to some interest or other.

I once aspired to becoming a professional photographer, and from the time I was in high school, used a Nikon F2 with a battery of lenses. I also did a great deal of my own darkroom work in both B&W and color.

I think comparing Nikon to Leica, Nikon represents the ideal combination of quality and versatility for the price, while Leica has always been quality for a premium.

My impression of that cult to bespoke mainly stems from all those various personal websites that certain Japanese make, and which are obsessively focussed on their shoes or something.

I remember you posting a photograph of a Japanese photographer whom I thought rather stylish; I recall he was smoking.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
My impression of that cult to bespoke mainly stems from all those various personal websites that certain Japanese make, and which are obsessively focussed on their shoes or something.

This is maybe a handful of people out of the entire population. The average person is oblivious to tailored clothes. I was out with my coworkers in Ginza (right down the street from my tailor) last night to celebrate our boss's promotion to Executive Officer. After dinner, a few of us passed a men's clothing shop with an OTR suit in the window for 80,000 yen. The "Team Leader" remarked how "expensive" it was, while I was standing there wearing my bespoke Ginza Tailor suit that cost more than double that, and he was none the wiser. Nice guy, but he wouldn't know quality clothing if it hit him broadside.

I remember you posting a photograph of a Japanese photographer whom I thought rather stylish; I recall he was smoking.

I'm trying to recall his name. I certainly recall his photos of Paris in the '30s.

Another artist who might interest you is Foujita, who is featured in the latest issue of the Patek Philippe magazine.

abbott6.jpg

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just paid a visit to Nikon House in Ginza. One gets the impression that if Nikon ever made it, they have it (though I did not see an ELW). I had a brief chat with the proprietor that went something like this: Me: This is like a Nikon museum. You have everything! Nikon House: (laughs) Well, a lot of people trade in stuff. Me: Most people are moving to digital, aren't they? Nikon House: Yes, but digital is just another kind of computer game. 80% of our customers use film cameras because film better conveys human feelings. (人間の心を映し出す) Me: Well, I think most people these days prefer the convenience of digital. Nikon House: Digital is convenient for business because it's fast and anyone can use it. If you're running a business, you really need digital. But for the art of photography, there's no substitute for film. Perhaps that seems a bit anachronistic . . . (laughs).
Does Nikon still make high end film cameras?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
No, it's based on TS's statement that it's what you do with medium that counts.
This reminds me of a Maria Muldaur song from the 70s:

It ain't the meat, its the motion
Its the movement that gives it the sock

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is maybe a handful of people out of the entire population. The average person is oblivious to tailored clothes. I was out with my coworkers in Ginza (right down the street from my tailor) last night to celebrate our boss's promotion to Executive Officer. After dinner, a few of us passed a men's clothing shop with an OTR suit in the window for 80,000 yen. The "Team Leader" remarked how "expensive" it was, while I was standing there wearing my bespoke Ginza Tailor suit that cost more than double that, and he was none the wiser. Nice guy, but he wouldn't know quality clothing if it hit him broadside. I'm trying to recall his name. I certainly recall his photos of Paris in the '30s. Another artist who might interest you is Foujita, who is featured in the latest issue of the Patek Philippe magazine.
abbott6.jpg

Yes, what really struck me was how focussed the Japanese become on a certain interest. That's certainly evidenced by all those magazines they publish whether on pens or watches. Foujita I've known for some time; he's certainly interesting in the context of that very fecund period, when it was dominated by Caucasian expatriates.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't witnessed any cultish devotion to bespoke here, though I suppose it exists to the extent that the Japanese tend to be single-mindedly devoted to some interest or other. I once aspired to becoming a professional photographer, and from the time I was in high school, used a Nikon F2 with a battery of lenses. I also did a great deal of my own darkroom work in both B&W and color. I think comparing Nikon to Leica, Nikon represents the ideal combination of quality and versatility for the price, while Leica has always been quality for a premium.
I suspect the very high price of the Nikon SP ($3000 for a good body and lens, about what I paid for mine some time ago) is due to the relative rarity of the model, and collectors' inflation. Either way, the F-Series is a very good series. The early incarnations--F, F2, F3--are the best, I feel. They've also become something of an icon of the '70s.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As far as photography is concerned, which is better is answered by a simple question. Can the average person shoot a better picture with a decent digital vs film camera? In my opinion, the answer is a resounding yes, especially with IS and scene settings, and unlimited clicks.

For more knowledgable users, digital affords all sorts of opportunities to obtain better images by being able to review your shots right after you take them. One additional benefit that hasn't been mentioned is that you can take more pictures thus increasing odds of getting good ones. I was reading about a guy that went to antarctica on a photo-tour. In three weeks he took 8000 pictures. That's not economical with film.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
As far as photography is concerned, which is better is answered by a simple question. Can the average person shoot a better picture with a decent digital vs film camera? In my opinion, the answer is a resounding yes, especially with IS and scene settings, and unlimited clicks. For more knowledgable users, digital affords all sorts of opportunities to obtain better images by being able to review your shots right after you take them. One additional benefit that hasn't been mentioned is that you can take more pictures thus increasing odds of getting good ones. I was reading about a guy that went to antarctica on a photo-tour. In three weeks he took 8000 pictures. That's not economical with film.
Is an apple better than an orange?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads