• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Techno style & clothes

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you drink I suppose.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Guess I saw that there is not really much 'music & fashion' head on the forum, which is so sad, because fashion mainly comes from music, and happenings in the world.

I know what you mean - and I agree - but I also observe there are regional differences in to what extent that "inspiration" is welcome in the subcultures that fashion designers take their cues from.

DJ Hell (a German national) once complained that whereas in the UK, music and fashion have always gone hand in hand, in the German techno scene, attaching importance to fashion is widely seen as a sign of superficiality, and will hamper a musician in his/her efforts to be taken seriously as an artist.

I split my clubbing mostly between Belgium and Berlin, and certainly for Berlin I can say you stand a better chance of making it past most clubs' bouncers in no-name jeans and t-shirt, than decked out in head-to-toe SLP, Raf, Rick or Ann D.

I think it's because for all these brands aping subculture aesthetics, when actually worn in those environments, they are easily recognized by members of that subculture for what they are: mainstream imitations/appropriations of their codes, something that scene does not look on favorably.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
yeah i was being a bit flippant, but i think you're wrong to say 'never youngsters'? i've just started working in Berlin and my early explorations of the techno scene seem to indicate that there's a generation in their 20s who are seriously into it and that it's very much linked to their work in art/fashion etc.
(and while i'm being old guy pedantic please, please don't say that hedi slimane 'invented' the indie rock look!)

Ben Klock a while back, when he was touring the US, commented on how he was struck by how the people at techno events in the US tend to be older crowds (relatively speaking) than at home in Berlin.

On the other hand, I think a fair share of those early-20s patrons at techno parties in Berlin are international tourists who come to Berlin for a weekend to party, so basically go out for the sake of going out, and then it just happens to be techno because that's obviously what dominates the scene there. In fact, most of the bigger, well-known clubs have a second, house-dominated dancefloor (Globus in Tresor, Panorama Bar in Berghain, etc.), and that seems to be - in my subjective observation anyway - the area that most of the younger crowd flocks to.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean - and I agree - but I also observe there are regional differences in to what extent that "inspiration" is welcome in the subcultures that fashion designers take their cues from.

DJ Hell (a German national) once complained that whereas in the UK, music and fashion have always gone hand in hand, in the German techno scene, attaching importance to fashion is widely seen as a sign of superficiality, and will hamper a musician in his/her efforts to be taken seriously as an artist.

I split my clubbing mostly between Belgium and Berlin, and certainly for Berlin I can say you stand a better chance of making it past most clubs' bouncers in no-name jeans and t-shirt, than decked out in head-to-toe SLP, Raf, Rick or Ann D.

I think it's because for all these brands aping subculture aesthetics, when actually worn in those environments, they are easily recognized by members of that subculture for what they are: mainstream imitations/appropriations of their codes, something that scene does not look on favorably.

DJ Hell is really good. Scooter even does a shout out to him on Hyper, Hyper!

il_colonnello

Reaction score
lol

I have always suspected Scooter of having a great sense of humor, even though his music is obviously certified crap. His RA profile photo shows him wearing black tie, an outfit the underground purists of that site wouldn't be caught dead wearing, with a big grin on his face and making two victory signs in front of the entrance to Berghain - a club he knows his ilk wouldn't be invited to play in a million years.

He seems like a fun person to hang out with, so long as his music doesn't come into play...

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, he knows what he does and he enjoys doing it. Selling millions of records doesn’t hurt either. To be completely honest I play some of the original stuff once in awhile for nostalgia..

Thun242

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dj. Hell, dude he's my all time favourite since a very long time. I grew up on his label's releases, Gigolo Records. The Hacker, David Carretta, Fischerspooner, Vitalic, and the others... He presented a new line in music, when electroclash came in around 2001. It was the modern update of the synthpop sounds of the 80s, but it was very techno and industrial orientated.
You hit the nail on the head with Dj. Hell, as he said 10 years ago on MySpace or in some interview "music and fashion was always my passion". For me it's the same. He did Gucci runway soundtracks back in the Tom Ford era, but he also collaborated with Agent Provocateur, and Michalsky, a German brand.
This is not his best song IMO, but it's from his golden era:

il_colonnello

Reaction score
On the subject of techno + fashion, a friend and I am arranging to go to this:

https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/1134682

Especially looking forward to seeing Monolake, who I've wanted to see live for a while.

I have visited the Prada Foundation before, and of course it isn't really much to do with fashion/clothes (nothing actually, it's just a supporter and a space for art/culture of any kind), but I am excited anyway at the opportunity of seeing techno/house music and one of my favorite fashion labels collide.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darko is in Berlin now, he’s pretty knowledgeable about techno, clothing less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads