• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Techno style & clothes

Thun242

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a thread for all the people here, who dress like on the super-styish and 'still popular in the underground' gothic-electronic-punk-techno line.
80s new wave, 80s darkwave, Berghain, Burning Man, Love Parade, etc...
Is there any official freakshow member here?
Two classic video from this style:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht6_-_txEBg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXTi9Y27e_k

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mate people here think its cool to wear SLP. maybe try care-tags where the demographic is a bit younger?

Thun242

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mate people here think its cool to wear SLP. maybe try care-tags where the demographic is a bit younger?

Hi dude,
Thanks for your recommendation! Will check that site too. But don't forget, SLP and almost all kind of high fashion is all about techno and punk. Hedi Slimane, the last creative director of YSL/SLP is invented the indie-rock slim fit look, around 2006 with Dior Homme. Raf Simons is a huge Joy Division and Kraftwerk fan, and Chanel is always techno, thanks to Karl Lagerfeld & Michel Gaubert.
This kind of styles' listeners are mostly in their 30s-50s, you know, Depeche Mode heads, just for example. Never youngsters.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
I have always been a bit perplexed by the apparent "family relations" between goth and techno (having little time for the former, but all the time in the world for the latter myself)

but I guess the proximity in codes (fashion and otherwise) proves there must be something there

having said that, I used to worship The Cure ca. 20 years ago, whereas today, Itechno, so maybe I am proof of it myself

and yes, OP is right of course, people who are seriously into techno are more likely to be >30 than <30
certainly the majority of the makers (DJ, producers) are

I'm not sure though that a forum of Kapital/Visvim/EG/etc. wearers is the best place to discuss the aesthetic and the apparel of the world of underground techno, @Thun242 ...

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i was being a bit flippant, but i think you're wrong to say 'never youngsters'? i've just started working in Berlin and my early explorations of the techno scene seem to indicate that there's a generation in their 20s who are seriously into it and that it's very much linked to their work in art/fashion etc.
(and while i'm being old guy pedantic please, please don't say that hedi slimane 'invented' the indie rock look!)

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would Ministry's album "Twitch" classify as "80's dark wave"? If so I'm strangely into the idea of this thread.

Thun242

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to worship The Cure ca. 20 years ago, whereas today, Itechno, so maybe I am proof of it myself

and yes, OP is right of course, people who are seriously into techno are more likely to be >30 than <30
certainly the majority of the makers (DJ, producers) are

I'm not sure though that a forum of Kapital/Visvim/EG/etc. wearers is the best place to discuss the aesthetic and the apparel of the world of underground techno, @Thun242 ...

Yeah, you are so right about that, The Cure is something what I'm thinking about, those are the roots.. And acts like Fad Gadget, Depeche Mode, later New Order, and Skinny Puppy, Front 242 from the more industrial side... These bands and musics like always on the catwalks..! As I remember, I seen earlier this year a newcomer fashion designer's show at the London Fashion Week, Queen Elizabeth sat on the front raw, while some serious stomping techno was on the backround! Actually Front 242, and some 3-4 other artists from the genre. Here's the vid about that: www.youtube.com/watch?v=obj_1JHt5QU
The first track is Front 242 - Moldavia
Yeah, the second wave of the pure techno, what we call classic techno is started around 1992, from artists like Jeff Mills, earlier from Detroit, from artists like Model 500, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson, but those were more electro stuffs. So yeah what I meant is people from real techno era are in their 30s-50s (as the classic techno vibe ended in around 2005, since 2005 there is still techno and nowadays it's very popular, but the revolution and the creativity within techno happened mainly before 2005.
Guess I saw that there is not really much 'music & fashion' head on the forum, which is so sad, because fashion mainly comes from music, and happenings in the world.

yeah i was being a bit flippant, but i think you're wrong to say 'never youngsters'? i've just started working in Berlin and my early explorations of the techno scene seem to indicate that there's a generation in their 20s who are seriously into it and that it's very much linked to their work in art/fashion etc.
(and while i'm being old guy pedantic please, please don't say that hedi slimane 'invented' the indie rock look!)

Yupp, "never youngster" was a bit hard, I meant that more like for teenagers, so it would be right like "never or very rarely teenagers". Teenagers' musics are mainly big room EDM music, and mainstream music, but there are exceptions of course. Nope, Hedi re-invented the indie-rock line around 2006. I clearly remember that everybody wore bootcut jeans in 2004, then in 2006 everybody wore slim-fit jeans and skinny jeans. Thanks for certain things, MySpace, Arctic Monkeys, Hedi, Justice and french bands, etc... Original indie line mainly started by The Ramones back in the days, and from the collaborations between Vivienne Westwood and The Sex Pistols.

Thun242

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would Ministry's album "Twitch" classify as "80's dark wave"? If so I'm strangely into the idea of this thread.

Probably more like recondite

Yeah, you both are right with that! I like Ministry too, and 80s industrial bands, like Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, Skinny Puppy or DAF. These styles are have their accessories, like leather jackets, aviator sunglasses, leather gloves, so they often inspire fashion designers, and catwalk music. For me 80s was the most stylish era, but also the 60s space age.

Recondite is something new, he is on Ritchie Hawtin's Minus label, I like some of his works, but Hawtin's Minus was better around 13-14 years before... Acts like Mathew Jonson and Marc Houle.... They are amazing... These minimalistic 4/4 beats are very close to architecture and fashion too.
This is a classic on Minus:

and this one too:

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a “music and what you wear” thread would be more inclusive then?

I think who and what we listen to does affect our fashion choices a fair bit.. I just can’t think of anyone so specific at the moment.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Punk/Goth/Raver kid growing up in the 80s. I don't necessarily "follow" the scene fashions, but I do it 80s style in that I find things I like and then make them my own. Like, I wear fancy dress pants from @Epaulet, hemmed below the knee, wear Alden jumpers (shell) with striped socks from Paul Smith. Plain black t-shirts or if I want to get fancy, MTM Liberty of London. If I need a jacket or similar, I have a Gustin cardigan I love, and I've also got this ghost suede M1 jacket from @Epaulet, as well. With an 18" mohawk/spikes, I think it comes off pretty well, but then again, I don't really give a **** if it doesn't lol. :p

Speaking of which, a few hours ago I was listening to that pre-With Sympathy Ministry and trying to build that bassline from "Same Old Madness" on my Moog Minitaur.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads