Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Technical Outerwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, May 23, 2012.

1. cb200

cb200 Well-Known Member

Is it worth it? Yes and no. Acronym has become basically the defecto "techwear" look. If you really want to buy into that style you can justify over looking the price, at the moment, as it's backed up by a current resale strength. However, you are paying a premium for a fashion brand with a current high demand on a very limited amount of production.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

2. mistersparkle

mistersparkle Well-Known Member

Prior to 2017, I would have, but for whatever reason, ACRNM blew up and resale prices for jackets jumped. The J1A-GT secondhand was $800-1000 USD a few years ago, now people want over $2000. Fuck that. I don't want to deal with the Supreme Hypebeast bullshit.

Oh and because of this demand, there's now Fakcronyms: https://supertalk.superfuture.com/topic/161000-fakcronym-making-tommow-comes-today/

So you gotta deal with that.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

3. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

I don't think you have to pay the crazy price of acronym for a cool technical jacket. Lots of things out there just have to look.

4. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

Depends on why you're into tech. I you want to take cool pictures, look tactical as shit, romanticize the idea of being an urban ninja in the middle of the night, and gimmicky features like the gravity pocket then there really is no replacement. Price is subjective and you need to assess your income to see if it matches the resell price.

If you want true performance then it really isn't worth it. Construction is sub Veilance or Outlier. The jackets and pants aren't nearly as articulated as Veilance or have a dedication to textile excellence like Outlier.

5. eloquent

eloquent Member

Thank you for for your opinions. I just like the aesthetic, and it would suit the style of clothes that I currently wear. Are there any other brands that sell a similar jacket with the carrying strap?

6. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

I think some OAMC jackets circa 2016 have that military strap

7. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Nike ACG / nikelab essential outerwear have the cary strap

8. leeba

leeba Senior member

@John-Galt can veilance stuff be sized up? everything looks so trim/proper and i guess that's the point, but it's a bit much. the slim sleeves, especially.

edit/
    nvm, looking further at shoulder construction etc i guess it's just the nature of the patterns. having a hard time seeing how to integrate it unless you wear mostly slim/articulated stuff, layering under shells (not down) seems like it'd be a pain. i do like stephen mann though?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

9. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

10. leeba

leeba Senior member

^

why not? if anything, do it for the thread :-D

11. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Just got my veilance galvanic IS. holy shit is this thing amazing. As my first veilance piece, Im quite impressed with the construction, articulation, and the extreme minimalism of design. You can barely see that it has pockets. It feels like putting on 3L armor . I sized up to XL with confidence and the fit seems spot on. 11/10 would recommend

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

13. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

Cant agree more. The Galvanic is killer. Did you get the down or just the coreloft one?

Not a fit pic but here's mine. Can post fits if wanted.
    Photo 2017-09-04.jpg

14. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

I got coreloft, Im allergic to down.

Will post fit once the rain picks back up. Bless nordstroms rack for 60% off a black galvanic.

15. happyriverz

happyriverz Senior member

Anyone has experience with Griffin Studios? I've always liked the design of their sleeping bag coats, but not sure where their designs fall on the "technical" to "style" spectrum.