• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technical Outerwear

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I just went through the ordeal of trying to wash my Arc'teryx Veilance Insulated Field Jacket for the first time. What a nightmare. Forget about buying a 3-pack of Nikwax products just to be able to care for it in the first place. I do my research on how to clean it, pop it in the washer on the appropriate settings and after twenty minutes I hear BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG coming from on yonder in my apartment. I run to the washing machine only to find the damn thing trying to walk across the floor on its own! Inside was my field jacket, filled up like a water balloon, exceeding the weight of a bowling ball. :fu: I mean I know the GoreTex membrane is some serious hoodoo but god DAMN. I hoist the 30lb water balloon-of-a-thousand-dollar-jacket (got it half price) into my shower with a splash and call up Arc'teryx on the phone. The time is 6:00 Eastern. "Arc'teryx, this is Matt." "Matt, I'm having trouble with an Arc'teryx garment and need some advice." I explain my situation. "Wow, I haven't heard that one before," he says. "The GoreTex membrane is only on one side, so the water should be draining out through the lining. Are the pockets filled up with water?" I check. "The pockets ... oddly enough... seem to be the one dry area of the jacket. But, I mean, the thing is waterlogged. First it's in the sleeve, then I lift it by the sleeve and it moves into the other sleeve. It's bizarre." "I really have never heard of this happening before," Matt says. "Can you send me some pictures maybe? By the way, have you tried wringing it out?" ....... Now it seams that to wash my AV jacket, I will have to put it in the washer inside out. Stop it before the spin cycle, wring it out ever so slowly, put it back in on spin, let the rinse cycle balloon it back up, deflate it manually, re-spin, then pop it in the dryer. The moral of the story: An AV field jacket likes letting water out, about as much as it likes letting it in. Except sweat vapors; the thing is generally breathable as f**k.
I think the moral of the story is: air dry that ****** instead. I have never, ever washed a gore-tex jacket.. I generally wipe them down.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the moral of the story is:

air dry that ****** instead. I have never, ever washed a gore-tex jacket.. I generally wipe them down.

Yeah I think you're onto something. My last Gore jacket washed fine, but the insulation zipped out. I think the old sponge bath is the way to go with this one.

SuEd

Reaction score

anyone have experience with rapha jackets?

specifically looking at the softshell and/or transfer jacket. wondering if it's worth the price. certainly seems well made.

They are, as you wrote, well made. I think Rapha is well worth the price especially if you use the cyclist features.

I wish those olivers shorts were shorter.

Any competent tailor, and even a few incompetent ones, could make the shorts shorter in 10 minutes for 10 dollars or less.

I think the moral of the story is:

air dry that ****** instead. I have never, ever washed a gore-tex jacket.. I generally wipe them down.

The manufacturers recommend regularly washing gore-tex. What guides and washing machines are y'all using?

Grove

Reaction score
Don't know about the difference in quality because everything I have is made in china, I think I started buying icebreaker in 2011. I have a Tech Tlite from last year that feels more delicate than the ones I got in 2012.

Since they don't sell outside of US, I have to go order to UK retailers and I've never thought about complaining to their customer service. Truth to be told, I've used the damaged garments probably 100-200 times, maybe more cause I was living with 3 t-shirts in rotation. I wash everything according to the instructions, not too often, line dry, etc..

I'll post pics of the tshirts in the afternoon but since I'm wearing the quattro hoodie right now, here are two pics, there are also lots of loose threads on the inside of the hoodie. I checked the email and I received it on 2/4/12, so it's not that old for a $170 hoodie:

It bothers me because it's a ******* nice hoodie with very nice fabric feel, drapping, temperature regulation, no smell, etc.. but it didn't last too long.

IME Icebreaker stuff can be very fragile. If you don't mind the branding then it's worth checking out Aclima. Quality wise, it's in a different league.

Grove

Reaction score
The manufacturers recommend regularly washing gore-tex. What guides and washing machines are y'all using?
Yep, goretex needs to be machine washed in liquid detergent or it won't perform properly. Usually 40 c and then rinsed twice followed by a warm tumble dry to reactivate the DWR.

Last edited:

deadsunrise

Reaction score
@grove the branding in Aclima it's a bit marsupialed. At least the logo and location on the t-shirts.

Grove

Reaction score
@grove the branding in Aclima it's a bit marsupialed. At least the logo and location on the t-shirts.

That's why I mentioned it but so far I'm yet to find any other brand that comes close in terms of quality, fit and durability. I do know a couple of folks who have their stuff without any branding but they are both Special Forces and I don't think it's commercially available.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting - I just bought some Aclima to try out,

abunny

Reaction score
Yep, goretex needs to be machine washed in liquid detergent or it won't perform properly. Usually 40 c and then rinsed twice followed by a warm tumble dry to reactivate the DWR.
This is p much word for word the goretex recommended SOP. Unwashed goretex will stop beading, and contaminants on the inside will also prevent vapor escaping. Wash your stuff.

deadsunrise

Reaction score
^ thanks for the heads up, just ordered 3 tees and some boxers. I like that they have a nicer colour palette than other merino shirts. I'm trying to get different merino tees to make a review comparing all of them. I like that finisterre has stopped making them 100% merino and are now 80% merino 20% poliamide. They say that 100% merino is not durable enough and with my experience with icebreaker I tend to agree. Let's see how they perform regarding smells and wearing them for 3-4 days.

Also got a nice camera (canon s120), will post some pics of everything when it arrives.

brooks23

Reaction score
Why does Finisterre ask for your social security number in checkout?
patch[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads