1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Technical Outerwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, May 23, 2012.

1. accordion

accordion Senior member

Any recommendations as to the arc'teryx galvanic vs. patrol coat? Patrol is more expensive and comes with a jacket underneath. Galvanic seems good for dressing up and down due to the collar and slimmer design but I actually don't like the collar.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. aeymxq

aeymxq Active Member

anyone know what that ace x alpha fishtail is actually made of?

3. plasticdude

plasticdude New Member

Hey guys, I'm looking to get into techwear and I have a couple questions about outerwear and the shell system. I understand hard vs soft and all that, but when it gets really cold, do you generally have an additional parka or something or do many people merely wear their hard shell on top of down layers and warmer soft shells beneath? I guess my question is really whether or not a dedicated winter jacket is commonplace in techwear or whether increasing your down or other layers below a shell accomplishes a similar end.

4. wizzeak

wizzeak Senior member

%

Generally if it's really cold, people will have a dedicated jacket to stay warm rather than layer underneath a shell. Both can achieve the same end goal (warmth), although it's obviously a lot easier with say a thick parka than a rain shell since you can only layer so much. It really comes down to things like activity and personal preference. If you're going to be breaking a sweat and need the mobility it's probably better to layer underneath a shell. If you're standing outside all day protesting you probably want a thick parka.

1 person likes this.
  5. plasticdude

plasticdude New Member

Cool, thanks a lot man!

6. Lollie

Lollie Senior member

I'm curious to know how the two models hold up in real cold weather.

Anyone?

7. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

8. false

false Senior member

Its hard to answer because everyone has different tolerances. That said, the Galvanic is for cool, wet weather. It has significantly less insulation than a Patrol, IS Field etc. You should not being looking to that jacket for a "winter coat". Also, everyone misses this but the Galvanic has a bonded cotton outer which basically makes it a Mac - ie. you should treat it more delicately than a Patrol, IS Field Jacket, etc. I love the Galvanic in "sand" color but that shit would be disgusting after 3 months in NYC.

My IS Field Jacket will arrive on Monday so I'll post about it handles NYC winters.

2 people like this.
  9. accordion

accordion Senior member

Damn I wish I saw this before ordering the galvanic. I'm using it as my primary winter coat for New England weather, where the climate is very dry and windy. I knew layering was required but didn't expect it to be more like a mac instead of a true down coat. Guess I should've asked around more beforehand.

10. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I would go Haglöfs Couloir, as the pants attach to the jacket and you should be able to find a set on sale close to your range. Norrøna /29 could also be an option, the only issues I have with mine is monkey arm sleeves, I'm 5'9" and I would say the sleeves are 2" longer than what I would like and the zipper goes all the way up, so it catches on your hat and scarf.
    I haven't bought any Norse in a couple years, but their sizing seem to be all over the place and never been impressed by the quality of their products.

1 person likes this.
  11. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Just your friendly seasonal reminder to break out the Nikwax and prep your gear/reup the DWR. Just touched up my AV insulated field coat. Ready for Boston's winter.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  12. accordion

accordion Senior member

does anyone find the AV galvanic's zippers really hard to zip up?

13. wqvong

wqvong Senior member

Anyone know where I can get insulated field jacket on sale?

14. false

false Senior member

Mr. Porter had the best deal (30% off) for Black Friday. Keep in mind, with tax that's still like $900.

15. LeeJason

LeeJason Well-Known Member

Untrue. The Corner had a 40% coupon off all Veilance. Several items were on sale which made the discount close to 60%.

16. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

Ink-clothing has smaller sizes of the black and navy on sale

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  17. BostonHedonist

However it is to happen I highly endorse getting an Insulated Field Jacket. Maybe sell some extra stuff on eBay. It's easily the most crucial and revered article of clothing in my wardrobe during the times when I use it.

I wear it in all temperatures/(informal)conditions below 43 degrees. Nothing has yet to stain/hurt/tear/mess up whatever proprietary weave of nylon composes the shell of this jacket. I will admit, there is some collar fuzzing due to my beard. Not a big deal.
    The arms are cut a little long, but Rainy Pass Repair of Seattle was able to shorten my sleeves by the 2" required faultlessly. They deserve mention because I don't know of anyone else officially endorsed by Gore to alter Gore Tex clothing.

Wearing the impossibly lightweight AV IFJ is rather simple to describe. You take your personal climate, undisturbed*, wherever you need to. And you don't look like a tool doing it.

*Assuming you wear a warm hat/gloves and some wool when it's very cold outside.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    2 people like this.
  18. BostonHedonist

How are you liking the Galvanic? I sometimes wonder if the extra length over my IFJ would be worth switching.

Can't comment on that model's zippers but my Veilance jacket's zipper is usually quite easy, unless the fabric want's to jump inside. A well placed thumb quickly guards against that.

As for the warmth, I'm sure you'll be fine. With Gore Tex backed with Coreloft you'll be able to wear the jacket over a Tee shirt into the 40s and a sweater into the 30s. If you plan to do a great deal of walking around outside as it approaches the teens, add a thermal baselayer. That is, if it's anything like the IFJ.

Love to hear some detailed feedback on the coat. Personally, I think the Patrol is overkill unless you're outside in bitter cold quite a lot.

19. ipractice

ipractice Senior member

CG (acr x nike) just dropped on nikelabs. most stuff prob sold out by now tho

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  20. accordion

accordion Senior member

Not sure if I'm doing it wrong but even the folks at sufu say the zipper is atrocious. It sometimes takes me 5min+ to zip or unzip the jacket, so I mostly wear it open. I walked around in 20-30F + windy weather sometimes with just a thin knit underneath and never felt cold (I live in New England). The lining is only to the hips, but I've never found that a problem. The overall silhouette of the jacket is fantastic, kind of a bottom heavy look when open. The collar is neat, but the hood is ripped off too easily from it. Fully waterproof, great vs. wind. I got nikwax but haven't used it yet.