1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Technical Outerwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, May 23, 2012.

1. EvanM

EvanM Well-Known Member

I really love mine for early spring/late fall.
    IMO if you wear it on its own, it's really suitable for weather between 5°C (~40°F) layered, and 15°C (~60°F) unlayered.

It's also cut fairly slim, so you can layer it underneath a hard shell for winter if needed.

2. ferrari909

ferrari909 Well-Known Member

I see, I've been looking for something that can withstand a typical Midwest winter and the Veilance Insulator sounds too light. I'll still probably get one though

3. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu Senior member

Highly recommend the ARC'TERYX VEILANCE Node IS Jacket..............

1 person likes this.
  4. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

You know, I bought my A.V. Insulated Field Jacket to prevent me from wanting/needing to buy more jackets. Now I just want Veilance outerwear for all occasions. Well, except the blazers, I still can't swallow the notion of wearing synthetic materials in a blazer cut.

I wonder, what are people's very general opinions of Acronym vs Veilance. Seems like Acronym uses similar materials but goes for much less minimalism and much more of a fashion-forward look.

5. SmileForum

SmileForum Senior member

I like both brands. Acronym puts on a very good presentation each season of their garments functionality, but nothing they've made so far has been aesthetically pleasing to me compared to Veilance.

6. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

Veilance is designed towards casual formal while Acronym is designed towards functional streetwear. The only materials they really share is GoreTex Pro/Windstopper; after that Veilance tends to use Merino wool and various nylon blends while Acronym uses Cotton (etaproof, epic, giza), Schoeller blends and Cashmere. Both brands are very cool in their own ways.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  7. ipractice

ipractice Senior member

Acronym also limits it's stock and doesn't go on sale so it has a premium collectors allure to it. Definitely a lot more hype around it, sometimes less value than it's asking price but it seems to be working for them.

8. BostonHedonist

Oh man. You guys should all pick up one of these. I'm snapping them up in every color.

[​IMG]

The Arc'teryx Skyline shirt. It's so soft. So stretchy. So breathable. So sunproof. Fits trim but not restrictively so. And it doesn't really show sweat.

FWIW, stains have been easy to get out.

9. SmileForum

SmileForum Senior member

A bit disappointed in Acronym A/W 14/15.

10. BostonHedonist

Pretty disappointed in Arc'teryx Veilance A/W '14 too. Same shit, different color. I have it on (somewhat) good authority that all the guys on the Veilance team recently left Arc'teryx and also, that items will be produced in China. Goodbye inspiration.

Anyone have anything wonderful to check out?

11. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Somebody in the W+H thread said that there new designer is from Arc'.
    I wonder where the rest of them went.

12. Grove

Grove Senior member

I was also told that in the future some of Veilances production will be moving to China, Bangladesh etc. Not that I have a problem with that quality wise as the mainline and LEAF stuff manufactured overseas is of the same quality the stuff that comes out of Canada but it irks knowing those pieces cost bugger all to manufacture but are priced as Made in Canada pieces.

13. Nil

Nil Senior member

I know Westcomb was founded by former Arc'teryx designers. Not sure about any recent departures though.

14. Royal42

Royal42 Senior member

So I guess the $1400 Acronym jackets will now be closer to 3K?

Jesus...

15. SmileForum

SmileForum Senior member

Arc'teryx, not Acronym. He just meant, a long with Acronym, this seasons offerings from Arc'teryx aren't that great either.

I don't have a problem with them making things overseas either, quality wise. I just don't want want to see price jumps...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  16. dbradm

dbradm Member

Went for it and picked up a Veilance monitor coat from Gravity Pope. My ideal jacket is one that is completely unadorned and minimal where there is almost no detail - so I very much appreciate the hidden pockets. I am getting used to the feeling of goretex as I am mostly used to wear more natural and softer materials, however, it has been raining lately so it is much appreciated. The only problem is the zipper entrance - The zipper has no cover and there is no additional stitching or tab to grab onto the male end of the zipper - I aesthetically/ conceptually appreciate this, however, the zipper is often difficult to engage. Anyone else have problems with Veilance zippers?

17. BostonHedonist

No problems with any Arc'teryx zippers so far. But if you have an issue, Arc may well fix it for you.

Just discovered something intriguing. Anyone have any experience with Ministry of Supply? Lab-grown dress clothes born from a hacker who went on kickstarter. I'm particularly interested in the Aviator Chinos. Water shedding, semi stretchy, seam sealed and features hidden crotch vents.

[​IMG]

18. jimanchower

jimanchower Senior member

Huckberry had/has the Aviator chinos on sale, but I haven't tried them.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  19. Grove

Grove Senior member

I mentioned this a while back but now it's released. Haglöfs 19FOURTEEN

It looks like a few pieces didn't make it to production or maybe they will be released at a later date but I think they have some really nice stuff. I like the fishtail and Lima a lot.
    Packs and footwear also look decent and pricing seems fair.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    3 people like this.